Old August 24, 2002, 09:46   #1
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A curious question?
I am curious is there anyone who plays SMAC or SMACX anymore? It seems everyone is playing that make believe game commonly called the democracy game of smac? I have plans for a very extensive mod for smacx if there are players. I will have 2 versions one for MP and one for single play. I am hoping that people still like to play "real" games and not a fictional one Seems these democracy game is the only headlines on this site these days. Myself I need graphics not an old paper D&D style game. But what do I know I am an outsider looking in bewilderment at something I do not understand.
I am hoping that there is interest before I complete the mod.
Old August 24, 2002, 11:49   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bring it on! I play SMAC almost daily. The Democracy game is there to boost up activity here, to bring in more registered members, to increase interest in SMAC, and of course, to get bigger postcounts.
Old August 24, 2002, 11:51   #3
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 03:50
demo games aren't make-believe . its just, only one person physically plays it, and we havn't started yet.

myself, i do both, and use what i do in SP in the demo game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
to get bigger postcounts
Old August 24, 2002, 11:58   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 00:50
lots of players still active-- just check out the MP forum here-- its slower as it is summer but there are literally dozens of active games
Old August 24, 2002, 12:06   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

TKG, PC is the only reason we even spend time on 'Poly, am I right?
Old August 24, 2002, 12:07   #6
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 03:50
well, i wouldn't go that far
Old August 24, 2002, 12:11   #7
Kassiopeia
Emperor

True... I mean, most people would then quit posting at Emperor... 'cause Deity is just impossible without OT posts counting.
Old August 24, 2002, 14:50   #8
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 22:50
I am shocked!
Shocked and pleased all at the same time. I had no idea that anyone let alone 12 or more people still playing SMAC & SMACX. I had burnt out on SMACX trying to make a scenario and factions to populate it. The constant day in day out testing of different aspects just made me literally hate the game. That was about 6 months before civ3 hit the shelves. Civ3 came, I expected a lot I guess. I mean I expected, good things of civ2 and all the great things you can do in SMAC & SMACX. I will stop there you all know the story, diplomacy simply sucks in Civ3. Very hard to make mods with it, still fun to play, I am part of a team making mods and scenarios for it. I am hearing rumors that the PTW will solve a bunch of issues. I will believe that when my own eyes.
I am in the process of making a unigue scenario and along with or slightly later a mod that will also be unique. My friend and I want to bring new life into SMACX (hopefully ) Thanks for the quick reply I appreciate it. One question though, where are the web sites that used to be up carrying all of the files? Poly isn't updating his files no more at all. Sometime this fall I will be releasing a beta of my scenario. Only 3 MP and single player mission too.
Old August 24, 2002, 18:12   #9
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
DD;

Also visit:

http://www.civgaming.net/forums/

and:

http://www.planetacol.com

There's still an active PBEM community of, I'd say, 50 or so in PBEMs on the three forums

G.
Old August 25, 2002, 13:05   #10
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 07:50
I often restrict myself posting at Apolyton only to have more time to play SMAX.
Old August 25, 2002, 13:15   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:50
I can't play on my computer because my SO hogs it to play SMACX.
Old August 25, 2002, 20:08   #12
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 16:50
Sometimes I get tired of SMAC for a week or two and play Test of Time or SimCity, but I always come back in the end.
Old August 26, 2002, 02:25   #13
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
Sometimes I get tired of SMAC for a week or two and play Test of Time or SimCity, but I always come back in the end.
Happens also sometimes to me. Then it is time for Might and Magic (mostly 6 and 7) or more Apolyton.
Old August 26, 2002, 08:43   #14
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 19:50
I got bored of playing SMAC about a half year ago (after playing for about 1.5 years ), so I only play a couple of games a month, usually the CGN challenge.

Warcraft 3 currentely occupies most of my gaming time.
Old August 26, 2002, 14:32   #15
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 06:50
/em hijacks thread
I got WCIII, and I enjoyed the single player, but I'd hardly call it a strategy game, when there's only one way to win: build fast and kill the most creeps. Whoever has the toughest hero wins, every time.