View Poll Results: Which activation method would you prefer?
CD on game start 13 65.00%
Product on installation 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 24, 2002, 21:54   #1
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How about product activation?
I've noticed a lot of questions about crack. Not from wearing pants too low, or smoking coke. I'm talking about cracking Civ3 so the CD isn't required.

While this idea does sound convenient (I hate leaving the CD in too) it violates the Terms of Agreement for Civ3. I can only think of two possible solutions for this annoyance.

1) Product Activation (like XP products).
or
2) Everybody in the world can stop stealing software.

So my question is....

Would you prefer product activation over CD boot activation?
Old August 25, 2002, 05:46   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 09:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well why not activation... it would then be easy for me... activate it ONE TIME after I got the game, and stop worrying about the CD thing. However, neither stops piracy, and that's what they got to understand, too .
Old August 25, 2002, 07:23   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:51
What about if you have to re-install and you're a complete, disorganized mess Slover?

6 months from now, how do some people remember where they put that thing? Unless they need it every day to get the fix.

Just a question.
Old August 25, 2002, 07:47   #4
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
no, activation would be BAAAAD

think of how many times you had to reinstall civ3 because of overwritten files, falsely edited civ3bic, patches and mods, that didn't work.

i don't want to have to phone or email firaxis every time that happens.
Old August 25, 2002, 09:28   #5
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 01:51
I don't care either way (what happened to the banana option?! That's a sin not to have one! ).

I change so much hardware on my computer when I upgraded to WinXP and never got a damn call, nor WinXP's need to call. This included increasing RAM, and changing video and audio cards among other things.
Old August 25, 2002, 09:52   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Product activation sux...
Old August 25, 2002, 09:54   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Oh well I don't change too much hardware... and I've only had to reinstall Civ 3 once, due to a fatal crash of all my PC.
Old August 25, 2002, 10:25   #8
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 02:51
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
no, activation would be BAAAAD

think of how many times you had to reinstall civ3 because of overwritten files, falsely edited civ3bic, patches and mods, that didn't work.

i don't want to have to phone or email firaxis every time that happens.
Um....once? Because I reformatted? If you back up your files when you mod the game, you don't have to reinstall...
Old August 25, 2002, 10:30   #9
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Product Activation doesn't protect software. I hate leaving the CD in the drive and think that people should be trusted. I have safedisk problems and every patch I have to get a special patch and re-install the game. We should not have activation.

Sell your photos
Old August 25, 2002, 11:12   #10
Solver
lifer
Deity

Nothing protects software. CD checks are removed, activation is, too.
Old August 25, 2002, 12:30   #11
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Nothing protects software. CD checks are removed, activation is, too.
and if your really really really talented, you can program and make your own Civ3.

I'm working on it.
Old August 25, 2002, 13:33   #12
Solver
lifer
Deity

Yeah, get them to release the source code, change the title screen, and there you are .
Old August 25, 2002, 15:46   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 06:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th

Um....once? Because I reformatted? If you back up your files when you mod the game, you don't have to reinstall...
And if the install didn't actually work properly? On 98 i've reinstalled roughly 4 times, but when it was XP....I used to have to reinstall nearly three times every day (And Firaxis never helped. I'll never forget when they told me I didnt have access to my computer..... )

Would I have liked to call Firaxis each of those times? No. That would have sucked.
Old August 25, 2002, 22:12   #14
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Yeah, get them to release the source code

I've tried that, but Soren wouldn't give up under gun point.
Old August 26, 2002, 11:52   #15
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
I don't care either way (what happened to the banana option?! That's a sin not to have one! ).
I didn't add banana, because everyone would have voted for it since the other options suck.

After thinking about this for a while I have to go with the CD start myself. I can't imaging the support for getting re-activited when something goes wrong being anything but terrible. Infogames/Firaxis just don't have the resources IMO to handle product activation.
Old August 27, 2002, 08:30   #16
dac
Chieftain

Product Activation bad. How many people are out there still playing Civ I, or Civ II, or some other game whose license has either migrated several times, or been lost completely? What about MOO, or MOO II? What if you want to do product activiation and the company is gone? Then you're kind of stuck. No, since I tend to play very obsolete games at times (MoM anyone?), I don't want to have to count on the company that sold it to me still being there, and still supporting whatever 10 year old product activation scheme was in place when I bought the game.
Old August 27, 2002, 09:07   #17
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 07:51
Product on installation. Anybody who wants to play with a warez version can do so anyway. The way it is the people with a legitimate copy are the ones "suffering".
Old August 27, 2002, 09:45   #18
The Pioneer
Prince

I don't mind having the CD in, since there are only a couple of games that I play at one time. I fail to see though that any of the two ways will stop piracy from happening.

About Piracy though, this is a topic that can be discussed to death but truth of the matter is that it's not going to stop no matter what the companies will do but then on the other side it is due to this piracy that some games and software have become very popular. Companies should recognize the potential and play with it while on the other side they should be fighting Piracy. A good example is DOS and Win some 10+ years ago they were pirated to death and today Bill controls half the Universe and is ritcher than most allow themselves to dream of.

So long...
Old August 27, 2002, 10:07   #19
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

no matter which method you use - piracy is always possible... and warez-versions of all games and applications afaik don't have neither cd-check nor production-activations...
Old August 27, 2002, 15:14   #20
zulu9812
King

agreed: product activation, CD-keys, CD-checks, etc. are all inconveniences that only ppl who bought the game have to put up with...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old August 27, 2002, 15:17   #21
zulu9812
King

and why is there no poll option for 'neither'?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old August 27, 2002, 15:39   #22
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

The funny thing is that I got hooked on civ for mac with a pirated copy (I think of it as a demo). You could play up to 1000BC or something then it asked you for the answers to certain questions. Of course it wasnt hard to figure out the answers. I eventually bought it and still have it somewhere but it wont work on a G3. Now I own every civ-type firaxis game (legally).

Doesnt this sound like the tactics used by another software company? Get us hooked then gouge for money.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 27, 2002, 18:12   #23
Gangerolf
Prince

cd
Old August 28, 2002, 05:57   #24
TacticalGrace
Prince

don't copied CDs work? If they do then what kind of protection against piracy is that?
Old August 28, 2002, 08:43   #25
Nym
Prince

Product activation is more interesting: you could install several games (products) on your laptop and you could use them everywhere without needing to bring all CDs with you.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:44   #26
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Given only the two options I would prefer to stick with the CD (and search the web for the hacked.exe file.) The XP method is big brotherisim at it's worst - I (and many others) would sooner drink gasoline and urinate on a fire than have any XP product on my machine for this very reason.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:42   #27
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 00:51
Product activation would be a very good idea because some of my old-game cd's are in such a bad condition that I'm unable to play them (no I did not toss it against the wall or out of the window it's just a sign of extensive overuse). So there would be one option to buy the game again but 1) they are no longer in sale for 2or even 3 years and 2) why should I spend money on that thing again??? or I have to download it somewhere (I've heard that dl of a game isn't illegal when I've a copy of them).

But with the PA you just install the game activate it and no more worries about CD's.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 28, 2002, 13:32   #28
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl
Given only the two options I would prefer to stick with the CD (and search the web for the hacked.exe file.) The XP method is big brotherisim at it's worst - I (and many others) would sooner drink gasoline and urinate on a fire than have any XP product on my machine for this very reason.
I agree. But my purpose was based on a totaly legal aspect.