Old August 25, 2002, 00:43   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 17:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Problem accessing chatroom
The chatroom has never seemed to work for me. Every time, I get this error message.

Database error: Invalid SQL: SELECT room FROM chat_users WHERE username='Darkness'Edge' LIMIT 1
MySQL error: 1064 (You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'Edge' LIMIT 1' at line 1)
Session halted.

anyone know why?
Old August 25, 2002, 02:06   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Because you have the ' character in your name.
This stuffs up the sql command, hence the sql error.

You have 2 choices (that I can see)
a: Learn to live without the chatroom
b: Get Ming (or another moderator) to change your name to something without the ' character in it.

Old August 25, 2002, 04:54   #3
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 09:52
c: Get Markg to add a mysql_escape_string to the applicable place in the chatroom code.

d: Register with a username that trashes the whole forum - not escaping strings to be used in SQL statements is a very real security hole (you can patch it by different MySQL users for different things, but that can easily get confusing, and confusion is bad for security. Plus, you should keep security in mind from the beginning to the end, not just in Random Function #2345)... Then get MarkG to add mysql_escape_string into the chatroom code .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old August 25, 2002, 05:02   #4
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 09:52
Hm. Seems like mysql_query will only execute one query, so it isn't a security hole after all...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old August 25, 2002, 05:03   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

I was listing real possibilities.
Old August 25, 2002, 05:13   #6
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 08:52
try now
Old August 28, 2002, 10:47   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

problems

the screen just freezes after a while , ....

refresh is no good , ...

get out , clear browser history and then you can get back in , untill the next time , ....

sometimes it takes 5 min , sometimes 30 min , ...

have a nice day
Old August 29, 2002, 21:16   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:52
Different problem: Chatroom used to work fine with me, but the last two-three days (was offline for most of the week before that) I have entered, mavbe typed one message in, and the next time I try to submit a reply, the page continually refreshes for a minute before giving up an IE "connection not found" error. Restarting IE makes no difference. Once I could see replies but couldn't add any of my own. Upon restarting IE the problem I mention above started to happen.

What's up with this? It is a completely new error to me - I have once or twice in the past had a problem with the room randomly not displaying one of my messages, but that was the only problem until now.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 30, 2002, 11:06   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:52
Just to confirm my problem...

When trying to get to the chatroom, the IE screen refreshes constantly for a minute; each time before it refreshes again a host of "Action canceled" screens for IE show up on the Right hand side of the chat screen.

When (if) it finally connects, I can see the chat, but whenever I try to submit a reply, the whole screen clears and refreshes, and my response does not show, not even to others there.

It didn't do this until only a few days ago. Please can anyone tell me WTF is going on here?!?!?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 30, 2002, 13:40   #10
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by LightEning
c: Get Markg to add a mysql_escape_string to the applicable place in the chatroom code.
And that is probably what he has done by using the addslashes function...
Old August 30, 2002, 20:29   #11
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

actually, i used the ereg_replace function to remove the '