Old August 25, 2002, 04:55   #1
kaigun
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tech Help
ive given up trying to get SMAC to work on XP.....but I have a large partioned HD and still have my 95@and 98 CD Im not very tech minded but Ive heard i can boot from seperate partitions from BIOS ....this I know how to do BUT howe easy is it to install 95 on a seperate partition and not disturb XP on the main drive....
Old August 25, 2002, 08:20   #2
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 19:52
WinXP : Does not play nicely with others.

It could very well be difficult... I reccomend a google search for "dual boot winXP win98" or somesuch.
Old August 25, 2002, 12:41   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 06:52
Difficult but doable. Do a Google search for the details, but the basic ploy is this:

Install 95. You won't be able to choose dual-booting as an option. Therefore computer will always boot into 95.

Now, in 95, start to install XP, making sure you tell it you want a new install and that you'll choose the location for it.

First thing XP has to do in this case is adjust your boot sector to dual-boot into 95 or XP Setup. So when it boots, you'll get a boot menu, with the options of Win 95 or XP setup, and 5 seconds to choose before it defaults to XP setup. Choose 95 instead.

Once there, find the boot.ini file (I think it's an ini) and you can edit manually to give a 95/XP boot menu. However, the syntax isn't entirely clear, so check it out before you start.

The procedure is identical if you want to do it with 98.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old August 25, 2002, 13:06   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:52
Listen to the person who went through the pains to do the same thing.
Old August 25, 2002, 18:39   #5
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Yeah. I had another Quake Fest (read LAN party, and in this case BG2-Fest) on Friday/Saturday. Incredibly everything ran smoothly. I even got the network working first time, under XP - a minor miracle. It appears that XP can't handle the concept of two different networks on the same card, so the solution is to install a second card for the duration of the 'fest.

Anyway, that was highly OT. Ah well, +1
Old August 28, 2002, 08:38   #6
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 07:52
SMAC and SMACX work perfectly on one of my XP computers, the main difference between the two computers is that one of them has a Pentium IV processor, 2000mhz, it doesnt work on that one.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:40   #7
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm getting both to work on my P4, 1.8 rig. Usual bugs appear more frequently than in ME (interceptor scramble, north pole freeze) and I occasionally just get a total freeze when moving from scenario editor to load game (using the command in the editor)

Haven't had a loadgame freeze from the regular menu, though - but I am using the no-cd crack for both, and not axstart.

G.
Old August 28, 2002, 15:51   #8
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

ah, a man with the No-CD crack. You couldn't mail it to me could you?
Old September 11, 2002, 12:18   #9
Tommara
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark123jansen
SMAC and SMACX work perfectly on one of my XP computers, the main difference between the two computers is that one of them has a Pentium IV processor, 2000mhz, it doesnt work on that one.
I've got a 2.0 GHz P4 too, and can't even get the patched version of SMAC to run on it, so I didn't even try to get a copy of SMAX. It's a Win98 machine. The patched version said "Unknown processor". I uninstalled and re-installed using just the original SMAC files and it works just fine. :\
Old September 11, 2002, 14:53   #10
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Check the Common Questions and Answers FAQ. Have you done the "ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1" thing yet (details in that thread)? If not, try it first. If you have, then I don't know.

Mongoose - thanks for the link.