Old August 25, 2002, 12:17   #1
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 06:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Sum of all Trite
Has anyone seen 'The Sum of all Fears'? I saw it at the cinema and this film is the worst I've seen in a while - at least Signs (with it's seemingly infinite plot holes) has suspense.

I saw this film as going badly at the very beggining, when a military plane was blown up carrying a nuclear missile. Even though the plane and its pilot were incinerated in the air, the photograph of his wife and child survived. So apparently in 1973 kodak invented explosion-proof photographs - which allowed for an incredibly overused cliche (the wreckage being surveyed and the photograph lying amongst it). Oh, and apparently nuclear bombs can survive such explosions and remain intact.

And speaking of cliches, why did the African-American guy die just as he was revealing important information to Ben Affleck? How ****ing overused is that? It is a sign of incredibly lazy (or incompetant) directing to still have a 'They key is hidden in the ..aaah' death scene.

The ending made me want to throw up. Wow, Ben Affleck and the pretty girl stayed together? Wow, what a surprise, they live happily ever after and every single bad guy dies!

The thing that was worst about the film however, was that unlike films created during the Cold War, the enemy was the European Union . You start to get an inkling of anti-Europeanism near the beggining, when a European is talking to some branch of the EU about standing on our own two feet and he has a swastika on his watch.
Then later in the film it goes on about how Europe is 'far-right' and it is 'Aryan nations working together for the first time'. That's strange, I was under the impression that the EU was mainly left-liberal.

All in all this film is lazy, improbable and downright offensive.

So what did you think of it?
Old August 25, 2002, 12:55   #2
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 02:53
You didn't read the book, didja?

In the Book, the Terrorists were Palestinians, who had some thugs dressed as Sovs attack Western troops in West Berlin (the Book was published in 1991). Nuclear bomb did go off, but it was in Denver.

The Production company decided they wanted to "Update" the story, because, apperently, Palestinian Terrorists are f--king archaic.

That having been said, it seems to me the Austrian is suppose to be Haider, you got a British dude, and you got a lePen dude. Not bad, I guess. I'd still prefer that they stuck with the Palestinian terrorists. Blame it on liberal Hollywood, who;d much rather have rich white guys be the baddies.

Ben Afflack's charecter is Jack Ryan, and in the book Jack Ryan has been married for some years (I think he's 40 or so in the book). Though you couldn't tell from the movie, this is the same charecter from
The Hunt for the Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger.

So, stop your whining and read the damn book.
Old August 25, 2002, 12:59   #3
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
You didn't read the book, didja?

In the Book, the Terrorists were Palestinians, who had some thugs dressed as Sovs attack Western troops in West Berlin (the Book was published in 1991). Nuclear bomb did go off, but it was in Denver.

The Production company decided they wanted to "Update" the story, because, apperently, Palestinian Terrorists are f--king archaic.

That having been said, it seems to me the Austrian is suppose to be Haider, you got a British dude, and you got a lePen dude. Not bad, I guess. I'd still prefer that they stuck with the Palestinian terrorists. Blame it on liberal Hollywood, who;d much rather have rich white guys be the baddies.

Ben Afflack's charecter is Jack Ryan, and in the book Jack Ryan has been married for some years (I think he's 40 or so in the book). Though you couldn't tell from the movie, this is the same charecter from
The Hunt for the Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger.

So, stop your whining and read the damn book.
I was commented on the film, not the book. And I hardly think it's liberal to be opposed to the European Union
Old August 25, 2002, 13:03   #4
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon

I was commented on the film, not the book. And I hardly think it's liberal to be opposed to the European Union
But it is to avoid offending "Minority groups" and making the bad guy a white, rich dude.
Old August 25, 2002, 14:33   #5
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I purposely didn't see the movie because I loved the book so much & I knew they were going to wreck it.

If you wanna see a good movie: The Bourne Identity.
Old August 25, 2002, 15:39   #6
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

The Bourne Identity was diappointing... there was very little actual plot if you think about it. More a premise than a fully detailed story. Nice action seens though.

A friend of mine, who also happens to have read everything by Tom Clancy, said that Hunt For Red October was really the only good movie based on a Tom Clancy book.

For me the best part of The Sum of All Fears was the 'splosion, but that wasn't even all that great. It was at least entertaining, took my mind off of our terrible world for awhile.
Old August 25, 2002, 16:52   #7
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 09:53
Lonestar : I read Clancy's books, but hate them for their incorrectness , as well. It sometimes takes insurmountable leaps of faith in the plot.
Damn Addictive , Though. He's a kick ass story teller.
Old August 25, 2002, 16:56   #8
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

But it is to avoid offending "Minority groups" and making the bad guy a white, rich dude.
So why wasn't the bad guy an American?

Anyway, RJ, you know you only went to see that film cos it had Ben Affleck in it.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old August 25, 2002, 17:01   #9
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Clear Skies

So why wasn't the bad guy an American?

Anyway, RJ, you know you only went to see that film cos it had Ben Affleck in it.
It was a coin toss between Ben Affleck and Will Smith
Old August 25, 2002, 17:02   #10
Kepler
Settler

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I posted a thread about this when I saw it about a month ago. I think "Sum" was possibly the worst movie of the year. And Ben Affleck has a frighteningly large head.
Old August 25, 2002, 17:20   #11
Az
Emperor

Hey, There's nothing wrong with a large head!

/me has a large head.
Old August 25, 2002, 17:28   #12
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I haven't read a Clancy book since I tried to read Red Storm Rising, (back in the 80s, before I was a commie, so get that idea out of your head). It bored me, made me think about The Hunt for Red October, and how there was no tension in the plot of that book. Every plan always came off.

People says he's gotten better, but I'm still skeptical.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 25, 2002, 18:31   #13
Az
Emperor

Now some plans fail . But they're the ones made by terrorists.

I hate the way he always portrays the Americans as the PERFECT good guys. I have no problem with painting the americans as good guys . It is to be expected . But here ,nothing , not a hint of criticism , The plot is always black'n'white . But his detailed descriptions .... they make it all worth while.
Old August 25, 2002, 18:33   #14
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
I hate the way he always portrays the Americans as the PERFECT good guys.
You're just mad about the way you come off in the book version of The Sum of All Fears.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 25, 2002, 18:36   #15
red_jon
NationStates
King

Did anyone else wanna smack the US President in that film? Or at least watch him get blown apart
Old August 25, 2002, 18:37   #16
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
Did anyone else wanna smack the US President in that film? Or at least watch him get blown apart
He gets thrown out of office in the book.
Old August 25, 2002, 18:38   #17
Az
Emperor

DinoDoc: No.

you gotta realize how incorrect he is at times.
Old August 25, 2002, 18:39   #18
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
He gets thrown out of office in the book.
Well that sounds better. That man is the most stupid and incompetant President I have ever seen in a serious film.
Old August 25, 2002, 19:21   #19
ThePantaloonDog
Chieftain

Location: Baltimore, Maryland but currently in dirty, dirty New London CT
Quote:
It was a coin toss between Ben Affleck and Will Smith
Bah! MIB2 was miserable. I doubt Will Smith could distract you from all the stupidity in that movie.
Old August 25, 2002, 19:23   #20
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePantaloonDog

Bah! MIB2 was miserable. I doubt Will Smith could distract you from all the stupidity in that movie.
Worse than the Sum of all Fears? It's quite scary to think I actually chose the better film last night
Old August 25, 2002, 19:24   #21
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
you gotta realize how incorrect he is at times.
It's called fiction. History is a different part of the bookstore.
Old August 25, 2002, 19:38   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I hate the way he always portrays the Americans as the PERFECT good guys.
You are kidding right? You have one of the most idiotic, trigger-happy US Presidents in SoAF, and then one of the most corrupt in Clear and Present Danger. At least 2 US Presidents had to resign in the book. Americans do not come off as perfect by any means.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 25, 2002, 20:44   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:53
The hero's are always perfect. Not all Americans.
Old August 25, 2002, 20:49   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Well Ryan is an alcoholic
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 25, 2002, 21:11   #25
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:53
Ok, they have a single flaw, but that flaw doesn't manage to prevent them from saving the day or getting the girl. It comes close to preventing them, but they overcome whatever it is.
Old August 25, 2002, 21:23   #26
ThePantaloonDog
Chieftain

Location: Baltimore, Maryland but currently in dirty, dirty New London CT
Yea MIB2 is one of those movies you take your SO to. "Gee this movie is so boring and its so dark in here. Whatever will we do?"
Old August 25, 2002, 21:31   #27
Q Classic
Emperor

the movie looked like @ss from the get go, what with all the plot changes.

lonestar got most of the big changes:
1. a white neo-nazi bad guy (i still don't understand why they'd want to bomb the us...) instead of a muslim fundamentalist terrorist.
2. a stolen russian nuke instead of a lost israeli nuke (this one i can deal with).
3. baltimore gets blown up, instead of denver (eh, this one's a tossup.)
4. jack ryan is young, instead of old (i don't like this one-- he's supposed to already have gone through a lot).

see, i dunno about you, but when you change too many critical elements of the original plot, you should lose any right to say it's based on the original text.

which is why another piss-poor movie like that, "the time machine," ostensibly based on the novel, shouldn't have said it was.

hollywood has a funny way of "adapting" books to screen. if by "adapting" you mean rewriting the entire fvcking thing.
Old August 25, 2002, 21:33   #28
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
2. a stolen russian nuke instead of a lost israeli nuke (this one i can deal with).
It was still an Israeli nuke.
Old August 25, 2002, 22:05   #29
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 07:53
So to sum up..the book was great..the movie is shite

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 25, 2002, 23:04   #30
Q Classic
Emperor

yeah, i haven't seen it. what little i know of it i got from various reviews, so my apologies about the origin of the nuke.

perhaps i should see the movie to understand why exactly white neo-nazis would want to bomb a white united states... and how white neo-nazi anti-semites ever got a hold of a jewish atomic weapon...