Old August 25, 2002, 13:37   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 02:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CtP3 and why it might happen
I believe this has been said numerous times but since I havn't been here in ages I hope I am forgiven.

I have been reading some posts to try and catch up what I have missed and someone said CtP3 would be a good idea.

If Civ3 PtW sells good then I believe(wich mostly I am wrong but think it could happen) that Activision wich are greedy might make a CtP3. Hell when they made the first two they did a half ass job with one or two patches out and left it as that. Since we are craving for CtP3 they could put it out do a half ass job again with one patch and leave it at that for the Aplyton community to patch it again and admit it, we will all run out to buy it.

It all comes down to money, if they think they can make enough out of it they will make it. I am not shure on CtP2 but on CtP1 they made alot of money out of it.

My two canadian cents

Davor
Old August 25, 2002, 13:54   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:53
Not a cat's chance in hell. [/rampant cynicism]
Old August 25, 2002, 14:03   #3
Yolky
Prince

LOL twas just a thought WI

Davor
Old August 25, 2002, 14:26   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Yeah, it would be nice if Activision did consider a sequel, but though CtP sold a lot, there was a lot of vocal criticism, and even more so for CtP2. Activision would be thinking that any CtP3 wouldn't attract many people who had played either of the previous attempts, and would get mediocre reviews no matter how good it was, based on the reputation of CtP2.

All that, and the fact that Activision no longer make games, they merely publish them.
Old August 25, 2002, 16:52   #5
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

You know im not so sure CtP2 has a bad reputation among the reviewers. The first review i ever saw on CtP2 in PC Gamer it got like 86% or something. Obviously like most reviewers, they dont have enough time to get deep down into the finer points/floors of a game.

By this then i think a CtP3 game would not bring any negative baggage to the table with reviewers. I doubt they check forums for a wider perspective on it either. The only negative comments i saw on CtP2 at the time were concerning the absence of MP and when the patch was released, lack of decent servers.

Anyone looking to producing another sequel wouldnt have much negative press to battle against it, IMO. Of course some people on the various civ forums will have a different view, but how many sales do they account for?

Id buy CtP3 even if it was shite though
Old August 25, 2002, 16:54   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

WOW no censor on 'shite' great!
Old August 25, 2002, 18:11   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Of course some people on the various civ forums will have a different view, but how many sales do they account for?
I don't know, but let's put it this way: CtP1 sold over 250,000 copies (it's still selling so it could well be much more by now), CtP2 just 30,000. Would you make a sequel?
Old August 25, 2002, 19:40   #8
Maquiladora
Emperor

Yeah those figures say alot, but i think the sequel sold far less because people a) realised they didnt like the first one/wasnt like original civ or b) didnt think there was a big enough difference from ctp1 to warrant shelling out more cash for.

I havent really looked at the archive in Civ:CtP forums, so i dont know how heavily it was criticized on release.

Maybe in a few years someone might take it up, under a different name but with the same ctp innovations.
Old August 25, 2002, 23:03   #9
Yolky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

I don't know, but let's put it this way: CtP1 sold over 250,000 copies (it's still selling so it could well be much more by now), CtP2 just 30,000. Would you make a sequel?

I see now. That answers the question I guess, no sequel is in order. I am suprised with the difference of CtP and CtP2.

Thanks for the info.

Davor
Old August 26, 2002, 07:40   #10
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Maq,
If you want to know about criticism, go to the OT or Civ2 forums and ask what people think of the game. Some people in the Civ3 forums will give the same answer but many there are surprisingly reasonable. Many people though, especially in Off-Topic, have this unreasonable, completely unfounded blind hatred against the CtP series, they absolutely despise it. When you ask for the reasons, they don't get far beyond 'it s*cks' or 'it's extremely buggy'. Patches, mods, hacks, sequels, etc don't mean much to these people and if you ask further, it turns out many of them have hardly given the games a proper chance to prove themselves.

These people are usually considered Civ-experts by friends/family/etc (aren't we all? ) and whenever asked for it, they strongly advise everyone they know (and even people they don't know but who they happen to see with a copy of CtP in their hands in a Games store, from what I've heard) NOT to buy the game. Although the people of Apolyton (and their friends) are not the majority of the potential buyer group, that *does* make an impact...

Where this hatred comes from? Beats the sh*t out of me... (but it not being a Sid Meier production has at least *something* to do with it)
Old August 26, 2002, 12:22   #11
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Another reason for the low sales of CTP2 is that the game was released unfinished. I came to the conclusion (maybe I am wrong) that Activision was near bankrupcy when they had to make the decission to drop the support and rejecting the final patch. So in my opinion they had only the choice between to save their reputation or to survive. Actual there is no need for a good reputation if you don't exsist anymore. But of course also the sales made them to do the decision they did.

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
(but it not being a Sid Meier production has at least *something* to do with it)
Actual I consider this as an advantage, because I want to play an game that is more then just a game namely an empire simulation. CTP2 is much closer to something like this.

It is right most people have no idea what CTP2 really is. If I hear something like this: "You know PW is the most stupidst thing I ever say. And you know this is true. ..." Then it is obvious someone never played this game really. In most cases they can't explain why they don't like it, therefore I was happy to hear the real reason why someone can prefer the worker system, and I was able to understand the reason. Of course wouldn't help me to manage 200++ workers.

-Martin
Old August 26, 2002, 12:46   #12
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Some very good points and information raised in this thread. Intersting to say the least.

In my opinion i think there is a 2% chance in a hundred that a CtP 3 will EVER be released (maybe 1%) but anyway if it is it certainly wont be activision publishing it.

Anyway im not really too bothered cause at least activision did basically leave us with the fundementals of a good game. Which now modded is the best Civilization game ever in my opinion (excluding Civ2 for its time period)

With all the new mods comming out and the upcomming ones (History of the World) which im specially excited about. CtP2 will be the equivilent of CtP3.

By the way locutus i think you should post a news item with a quick preview on your History of the World mod (very quick sum up of what its going to be) ..... or maybe nearer the time

SMIFFGIG
Old August 26, 2002, 20:23   #13
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG's
By the way locutus i think you should post a news item with a quick preview on your History of the World mod (very quick sum up of what its going to be) ..... or maybe nearer the time
I hardly ever post annoucements/previews in news items. Dozens and dozens of scenarios/mods/tools/etc have been announced/previewed/whatever only to never be heard from again. So I don't only mention such things in news items when it seems really concrete and when I'm reporting about a similar/related subject (but even then I'll usually keep it very short). I don't plan on making exceptions for my own modding work...