Old August 28, 2002, 08:49   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 18:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Proposal: Non-Government Organisations
The Civ3 game has an idea that I like, but I think it could be modified.

It has several non-government think-tanks, such as the Adam Smith Foundation for economic policy, and the Machiavelli Institute for foreign policy, which anyone can join and then participate in. These contribute greatly to that game.

I'd like to see non-government organisations here. Perhaps, the standard think-tanks, such as foreign affairs, economics, etc, but also more roleplay-oriented organisations, such as a church, which would also play a role in lobbying (though fulfilling a different purpose to political parties).

To prevent a mass of these organisations, I suggest an organisation would have to have five signatures before being created.

Opinions?
Old August 28, 2002, 10:04   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:00
What about a bar, a coffee shop or a rec commons?

Edit: In that place people can post about their cool new avatars etcetera.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:10   #3
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 10:00
Maniac, you are referring to the Off Topic. We could have a Recreation Commons thread there, however... and link to it from here.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:40   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 07:00
i agree with non-goverment thingy started talking about one long time ago for peacekeeping operations. but then everybody said i was a bad idea
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 28, 2002, 10:53   #5
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i still want to propose the Strategic and Tatical advice committee of peacekeeping forces or something like that

STAC for short
Old August 28, 2002, 11:37   #6
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I would suggest renaming it to something SMAC-like for example the Command Center/Nexus.
Old August 28, 2002, 11:41   #7
DeathByTheSword
King

ok by me but i will be an active member as soon as i have finished the constitution
Old August 28, 2002, 12:19   #8
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 01:00
Well, if we keep the Rec Commons to role-playing, it wouldn't be off topic... I know the CtP MP forum has a Cafe... and we don't even role-play in there! Different forums become different... almost families... so it's not needed to always send it to OT every time just because it doesn't apply to everybody.

I like the idea of a Rec Commons! And put it in this forum so only those SMAC Demo players will participate and role-play.

Also, I like the idea of a Adam Smith group... but that's just me...

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 28, 2002, 13:09   #9
DeathByTheSword
King

i wouldnt call it adam smith group because you will get CCCP on your tail
Old August 28, 2002, 13:56   #10
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Always open to a good debate, however.

Pandemoniak has good ideas, just on the opposite spectrum that I generally sit.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 28, 2002, 15:22   #11
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

FlameFlash, good to hear re: rec commons. Since I'm the D of SE, maybe I should get into it?
Old August 28, 2002, 15:35   #12
Maniac

Adam Smith -> The Merchant Exchange
Old August 28, 2002, 16:11   #13
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 04:00
ooh ooh! since i'm director of research...

The Network Node

Old August 28, 2002, 16:30   #14
DeathByTheSword
King

but everone needs 5 members to be active. right?
Old August 28, 2002, 16:57   #15
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Right. So, we need two more people (Maniac, me, FlameFlash already) to concur that with us that the Rec Commons will be a good concept.
Old August 28, 2002, 17:00   #16
DeathByTheSword
King

good concept!
Old August 28, 2002, 17:06   #17
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Good! So now that's:

Maniac (who came up with the idea, kudos )
FlameFlash
Kassiopeia
DeathByTheSword
Echinda

Edit: Might as well edit this if anyone necessarily wants to support it. I'll figure out any membership etc. stuff (there prolly won't be any) in some time. Of course, any suggestions are welcome.

Edit: Like DBTS said, it'll prolly be a chat thread, but I have a few ideas.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; August 28, 2002 at 17:33.
Old August 28, 2002, 17:24   #18
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 02:00
Rec commons is a good idea - there, you have five.

The foreign relations NGO should be called "The Punishment Sphere".
Old August 28, 2002, 17:27   #19
DeathByTheSword
King

for rec. room there is no need for member ship the rest of the idea yes but rec. room just chat thread right?
Old August 28, 2002, 19:06   #20
FlameFlash
Emperor

Right.

Old August 28, 2002, 20:08   #21
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

err, what's the point?
Old August 28, 2002, 20:19   #22
FlameFlash
Emperor

For the role-playing chat aspect.

Old August 28, 2002, 20:41   #23
Method
Emperor

chat about what, specifically? anything about the game?
Old August 28, 2002, 20:52   #24
FlameFlash
Emperor

Most likely... politics, social engineering, research... just a place for the entire population to hang out and get to know each other better outside of the working environment. Even family units and complaining about the fungas looking too red during whatever season... lack of energy supplies... or too much and not enough be applied to production... etc. etc. etc. Just a place for all the citizens to gather and gripe, chat, and as I said before, get to know each other.

That is why I'll push for Rec Commons among these forums presented by our Alpha. (See, RP in action...)

Old August 28, 2002, 20:59   #25
Method
Emperor

even though you already have 5...

Old August 28, 2002, 21:02   #26
FlameFlash
Emperor

So, who's for The Merchant Exchange?

And Alpha, when will we see the Rec Commons building be completed?

Old August 28, 2002, 21:38   #27
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Once we've got a couple, I'll set up a directory of NGOs.

A couple of things.
Firstly, what purpose is the Rec Commons going to serve? Just..from what I've read, I couldn't exactly gather. Just so I can put a summary of it in the directory.

Secondly, I throw my support behind, to act as a founding member, of The Merchant Exchange, The Network Node, and a not-yet-named foreign relations committee. Perhaps the foreign relations one could be called The Empath Guild?
Old August 28, 2002, 21:50   #28
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkness' Edge
Perhaps the foreign relations one could be called The Empath Guild?

Network Node-second name right here DE
Old August 29, 2002, 01:38   #29
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Suggestions so far, and their various signatories...(only five are necessary for creation, so any more than five won't be listed here...create your own thread for that)

The Network Node (science)

1. TKG
2. Darkness Edge

Rec Commons (general chat, not entirely an NGO, but I'll include it anyway)

1. Maniac
2. FlameFlash
3. Kassiopeia
4. DeathByTheSword
5. Echinda

The Empath Guild (foreign affairs)

1. Darkness Edge
2. AdamTG02

The Merchant Exchange (economics)

1. FlameFlash
2. Darkness Edge

The Command Nexus (military)

1. DeathByTheSword
2. GeneralTacticus
3. Darkness Edge

Last edited by Darkness' Edge; August 30, 2002 at 03:44.
Old August 29, 2002, 01:39   #30
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Once you have your five signatories, go create your own thread.

That's not my job.