Old August 28, 2002, 18:31   #1
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 02:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Monarchy vs. Republic
So which is better, Monarchy or Republic? I find that paying for all my units grinds my science to a halt when I switch from Despotism to Republic while under Monarchy the free units and extra content faces more than makes up for the increased waste/corruption. I do not remember that last time I have been a Republic.

Do you use Republic? How does it fit into your strategy?
Old August 28, 2002, 18:36   #2
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 08:03
Ironically, I find having many short, rapid wars helps my Republic game. Most of the time you need only to concentrait on conquering one or two cities and destroying the majority of their offensive army to force them to capitulate. When they do, demand techs; which will make up for the lower science rate.
Old August 28, 2002, 18:36   #3
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Hot dog, I'm a Prince now.
Old August 28, 2002, 19:13   #4
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 00:03
I usually go to republic if I don't have a big army and want to go for a tech lead. Also, republic becomes very useful if you have or are able to build marketplaces in several cities. Also, sometimes you just happen to get republic first. I'll often change to whatever of the two I get first.
Old August 28, 2002, 20:27   #5
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I always find republic to be the better bargain in terms of income, science, and happiness. Of course, I tend to have a small and efficient military force as opposed to a large one, so my games run more cost effective (but my campaigns are riskier). Republic may cause unhappiness, but it seems that I can almost always counteract that with extra funds towards entertainment while still having a greater income than a monarchy.

I tend to only switch from there to demo if I am religious... otherwise, there is often too little difference between the rep. governments to merit a switch.
Old August 28, 2002, 20:39   #6
coryl
Settler

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I also find that marketplaces are key to my choice between the two. I go to Monarchy as soon as possible but only switch to Republic after I have half a dozen marketplaces in my core cities. They usually are my second building.

I also often wait until I can trade for one more luxury to counteract the loss of police units.

I've made the mistake of going Republic too soon and it's ugly.
Old August 28, 2002, 20:42   #7
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

It depends on what style game you are playing.

I switch to Republic ASAP. I can usually buy Monarchy later or research it later and I almost never use it. republic is great if you are playing a builder game and have a lot of cities but Monarchy is good for early war. For later war you can use communism.

Sell your photos
Old August 28, 2002, 22:38   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:03
Going Republic before having market-places is a very good way to bankrupt yourself. I was losing money in one game where I wasn't even doing any research!
Old August 29, 2002, 00:00   #9
Sheik
King

really? I have never seemed to have this problem.

Sell your photos
Old August 29, 2002, 02:45   #10
The Pioneer
Prince

Why did you post the same question in two different Forums simultaneously?! In my book that's called Spam!

EDIT: I saw your thread in a third Forum??? Why?

Last edited by The Pioneer; August 29, 2002 at 05:15.
Old August 29, 2002, 09:26   #11
The Templar
Prince

I have to go with Skanky Burns on this one. I go straight for currency after litteracy, then right before switching to republic, I pop rush as many marketplaces as are feasible. Once I become a republic, the marketplaces boost my economy so much that monarchy just isn't worth it. Of course, I also try to avoid having too large of an army. Insufficient marketplaces in a republic in my experience will leave you broke.
Old August 29, 2002, 18:48   #12
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 07:03
I wait for as many luxuries and marketplaces in alll my cities before swapping, or you will need to set luxuries to more than 0% wasting tax and science.
Old August 30, 2002, 05:49   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:03
I have never used luxuries though.
Old August 30, 2002, 07:21   #14
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
I have to go with Skanky Burns on this one. I go straight for currency after litteracy, then right before switching to republic, I pop rush as many marketplaces as are feasible. Once I become a republic, the marketplaces boost my economy so much that monarchy just isn't worth it. Of course, I also try to avoid having too large of an army. Insufficient marketplaces in a republic in my experience will leave you broke.
I'm in agreement w/ these fellas. Switching to Republic without first building the infrastructure (marketplaces) is a huge mistake. I'm in Monarchy just as long as it takes to get Republic, usually through force. I research Monarchy first for a couple reasons: (1) I can usually get it before the AI and the AI civs pay handsomely for it (techs, gpt, etc.) and (2) monarchy allows me to produce offensive units faster than staying in despotism while beelining for Republic.
Old August 30, 2002, 08:24   #15
TheStinger
King

i always get republic as soon as possible, I make a beeline for it.

Then again i'm pretty rubbish
Old August 30, 2002, 09:47   #16
Redstone
Settler

Local Time: 07:03
I'm in the middle of a game as Rome, monarch level difficulty. I was using a Monarchy government for ages as I waged war on first Egypt (ancient era) and then Greece (early medieval era). I have a good sized army of legionary, horsemen, catapults and some pikemen (so I've got units in the defensive unit upgrade path). Egypt were beaten easily and I got several GLs - first one formed a legionary army and second one rushed the forbidden palace.

But Greece proved a tougher opponent - the hoplite are evenly matched with the legionary and Alexander sent a concentrated swordsmen counter-attack. As the war with Greece dragged on I was slipping further behind in the tech race - my advisor telling me that the other civs (on another continent who I had no contact with) were completing wonders that I'd not even researched the tech for. By this stage I'd stopped research cos I didn't see the point - the gold is more valuable than the science. The downside is my legionary based military was going to become obsolete soon.

So for the sake of getting back into the tech race I planned to switch to Republic. I defined the 2 Greek cities that I had to conquer (1 with ivory and 1 on MY land) - focussed my army on those objectives and got building marketplaces in cities without barracks.

I got the 2 Greek cities I wanted, got a couple of techs out of Alexander in the peace settlement, switched to Republic (doesn't anarchy seem to last forever when your not a religious civ???) and now I'm catching up on the techs which are coming pretty fast as they're so cheap after the other civs have got them.

I think my strategy now is to go for democracy and continue building up the cities I captured, with the aim of going back to war when I've got a decent industrial era military. Need to build my navy too cos the next war could be inter-continental.

Man, I like this game!
Old August 30, 2002, 15:09   #17
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 00:03
Which is better, ah, what's your style?
It is impossible to know which is better until we know key parts of your game:

1-- what level are you playing at?

2-- are you a builder or a warmonger?

3-- Do you like long wars or short wars?

4-- Are you playing a religious civ?

Level below Regent, skip monarchy and go Republic.

Builder-- go republic.

Warmonger-- depends on war style.

Long wars-- forget republic, go Monarchy.

Short wars-- lots of territory, go Republic.
If average territory, it doesn't matter.

Religious civ-- who cares, you can switch fast, and not wait 7 turns between govs.

Caution-- you can go Monarchy without happiness and production infrastructure, but you are better off in Despotism than Republic if these are not in place first.