Old August 29, 2002, 21:04   #1
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Espionage improvement ideas for the new system
I think there should be added an option to 'Incite/start war between 2 foreign civs'. This could be an espionage option, and means you make another civ think someone is attacking it and so they declare war.

This would be useful for multiplayer where 2 close human player friends can be made to go to war if someone gets enough money to trigger it. To prevent this happening you'd have to try remove spy with a sting operation - you have to have spies in both warring civs.
It would work by your men disguising themselves as civ B and attacking civ A so civ A declares war on them, or evidence could be planted by a spy to show they've been stealing techs etc.
It could happen gradually, by this option reducing relations between civs till they are furious at each other and declare war (the best way i think).
Human players in MP should also have attitude variables, for annoyed/cautious etc.
I think there needs to be a way of controlling the amount of spying in your civ, so that you can have sections of your civ weaker than others to spies (like civ2 had spy units). You could have it related to culture, or have another tax slider which puts money into espionage for each city. if a city is making lots of money it can put a lot into its spy defences. This slider could do other things like help your civ control rebellions with anti terrorist ,anti uprising effects.
This would be a way to pay for espionage missions too.
Currently it dosen't matter where a civ is in relation to your cities the espionage costs remain equal.

It would be nice to have options to Steal money , and to Sabotage buildings.
How else could Espionage be improved? It seems they still haven't finalised this section.

I'm going to the ECTS european games show on friday, as part of my job.. cya there anyone.
Old August 29, 2002, 21:15   #2
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 07:07
Food trade is needed too, cities should be able to trade a couple of food prodcution to its own cities, or even sell it to foreign civs.
Old August 30, 2002, 01:58   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 09:07
Re: Espionage improvement ideas for the new system
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
I think there should be added an option to 'Incite/start war between 2 foreign civs'. This could be an espionage option, and means you make another civ think someone is attacking it and so they declare war.
I'd use it all the time

Quote:
It would be nice to have options to Steal money , and to Sabotage buildings.
It would be like:
"Sire, we managed to steal 2.000 gold from the greeks. This dangerous operation cost us 3.000 gold"
Quote:
I'm going to the ECTS european games show on friday, as part of my job.. cya there anyone.
As part of your job ??? You lucky bastard.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; August 30, 2002 at 08:01.
Old August 30, 2002, 07:07   #4
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 01:07
Re: Espionage improvement ideas for the new system
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ

It would work by your men disguising themselves as civ B and attacking civ A so civ A declares war on them, or evidence could be planted by a spy to show they've been stealing techs etc.
Wonderful, wonderful. Exactly what a sneaky person like me always want's to do. Trick the people into thinking they have seen something which they didn't really but hey it works very often. Disguising troops is the best option I've ever heard, this way you could attack all the other civs and than wait till they had more or less wiped them out completely and afterwards rush in with your mighty army and take the rest and voila:
Global domination victory:
Score please.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 30, 2002, 08:55   #5
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 02:07
i really wish we had food trade. just like how in civ2 and in smac...

it's very annoying to have your fully developed 30+ cities grow and then starve because they only have 1 extra food unit, and not 2... and because you don't want to not work a certain tile, either...