Old December 5, 2000, 07:14   #1
Fiji
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
reputation?
does bribing units from a civ you're not at war with hurt your reputation?
what about insisting they withdraw their units?
and moving units into their cityradius?
and expeling diplomats?

I'm in a game right now where i never broke a peace or cease fire but my rep is questionable.
not that this is a problem ... you should see what a veteran fighter does to archers, phalanxes and warriors
Old December 5, 2000, 07:50   #2
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

My experience is that bribing does harm your reputation when not at war. I used to bribe like mad (until I got better at managing an attack) but always ended up "Honorable" (sic).

Insisting on withdrawal of troops affects that Civ's attitude to you. At Deity, you lose a point e.g Cordial to Neutral.

Prolonged moving into radius gets them angry with you, again, attitude not rep.

I do not believe that expelling diplomats affects anything, and I love the buzz noise.
Old December 5, 2000, 16:43   #3
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 23:48
If you accept money or tech to declare war on anybody or cancel an alliance, your reputation will go down. Your allies will demand war, which means you lose the alliance or get your reputation hurt. Trespassing can result in reputation loss unless you agree to withdraw your troops when they complain. Insisting on unit withdrawl is a perfectly legitimate and peaceful thing to do. It's also a good way to goad them into war while keeping that spotless reputation.

Bribing unbits and suberting cities can be done with impunity.
Old December 5, 2000, 18:36   #4
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 16:48
I think that the only reason that the reputation was programmed was to give you an incentive to build Eifel Tower. For me, the rep only is always at the low end.

------------------
What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle
Old December 12, 2000, 15:21   #5
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 18:48
It seems like the worse your reputation is, the quicker the ai will be to form alliances and attack you.
Old December 12, 2000, 18:11   #6
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 17:48
quote:

Originally posted by Caligastia on 12-12-2000 02:21 PM
It seems like the worse your reputation is, the quicker the ai will be to form alliances and attack you.

Oh yeah, big time . They pretty much form alliances and attack you no matter what, though.
Old December 12, 2000, 18:59   #7
Mika
Settler

Hi!

Have you ever noticed that if you ask them to leave your territory (no matter if they are there or not) and they declare war that if YOU attack before they did, their allies will declare war to you? I hated that... nobody forced them to do that!

And another thing.
I hate A-Bombs!
And I found a way to avoid them but I'm not sure if this really works or if it was luck. Once I had a perfect reputation and I didn't start building the manhatten project... and to my surprise the others didn't start it too. Then one of my spy's was captured what caused a minimal loss of reputation and in the same turn 2 civs started building the manhatten project. So was this just luck or is this really a feature?

------------------
Master Mika
Probably the best player ever
Old December 13, 2000, 01:38   #8
Mercantile
Settler

I have seen my rep for one and i do mean one sneak attack by myself go from spotless to dishonerable
Old December 16, 2000, 00:37   #9
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 23:48
recently playing tot, i bulit the eiffel tower and UN, hoping these would make the ai more reasonable.. it did to an extent, and i noticed something else.. my allies were always asking me to go to war with the chinese or french, shortly after which i signed a peace treaty with them.. but usually, when you accept your allies demands to declare war, it hurts your reputation. well i was still on 'spotless' at then end of the game, and it looked like the eiffel tower was stopping my reputation hits. anyone else seen this 'effect'???
Old December 22, 2000, 04:13   #10
Maelhavok
Settler

quote:

Everytime I subverted a city, although rep and attitude were "unaffected" the targeted civ begins treating me as icy or hostile though attitude says (up to) worshipful. must be a bug.
Also, the Ai apparently has no rep. everygame I've played all civs should have been dispised but instead they make alliances against me and trade tech amongst themselves.

Merry Holidays,

Maelhavok