loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
no, the guy I am talking about has a house just south below the Blade Boss
In that case I'm not sure what quest you mean. I don't remember ever having to assassinate somebody in Balmora, although I could easily be mistaken.

Quote:
also, where do you find grand soul gems? I have some winged twilights I want to put in them
They're extremely rare. Murdering and burgling high-ranking Telvanni is the only "easy" way to acquire empty Grand Soul gems.

If you're interested in doing some hard-core enchanting then you should get Azura's Star, a reuseable Grand Soul gem. (Especially if you're planning on filling your gems with Winged Twilights. It's just not worth the trouble of acquiring empty Grand Soul gems if you're going to fill them with souls that won't even give you a Constant Effect enchantment.)
Old September 8, 2002, 23:44   #152
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 01:11
I had a grand soul gem once, but that was early game and I sold it for money (I think, otherwise I lost it and I have no clue how I would find it because it is not in any of my normal storage places).

I guess I will wait until I wander into Azura's Star (even though, since I am not magically oreinted (will never cast a spell in the game), that is one area I might want a spoiler in if it is in the upper Mage guild quests or Telvanni quests)

I admit that some of the reason I want grand soul gems (a supply of) is that I can put wing twilights in them and sell them for 60000, which is the kind of money I need if I am enchanting (I have a Ring of Mark, now I am working ont he funds for a Ring of Recall).

Jon Miller
Old September 8, 2002, 23:45   #153
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

It is not a standard quest

I got it from the Mong Tong before I became a Mong Tonger

I am suppose to poison this guy on Balmora, but I cannot find him (it will please the Mong Tong deity, or so the guy int he entrancy way to the alter says)

Jon Miller
Old September 8, 2002, 23:48   #154
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

also, I get so many quests because it seems like every guy I talk to gives me one

I set out to do a quest, but then meet someone that hands me another quest, and I keep bouncing arround and there is usually 20+ pages of journal before I complete a quest. I am somewhat afraid of saying no to a quest because 3 of the quests I have said no to (which is the total number of quests I have refused) I can no longer do.

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 00:47   #155
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I guess I will wait until I wander into Azura's Star (even though, since I am not magically oreinted (will never cast a spell in the game), that is one area I might want a spoiler in if it is in the upper Mage guild quests or Telvanni quests)
It's a Daedric quest, completely separate from the faction quests. No magic required to complete it.

Quote:
I admit that some of the reason I want grand soul gems (a supply of) is that I can put wing twilights in them and sell them for 60000, which is the kind of money I need if I am enchanting (I have a Ring of Mark, now I am working ont he funds for a Ring of Recall).
Use Greater soul gems and fill them with Storm Atronachs and Dremoras. They're much more common than Grand soul gems, and you still make a hefty amount of money by selling them.

If you find Azura's Star and fill it with a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper then you can sell it for 2,000,000 gold, which is far more money than anybody can afford to pay you for it.
Old September 9, 2002, 00:51   #156
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
It is not a standard quest

I got it from the Mong Tong before I became a Mong Tonger
Okay, that's not a Morag Tong quest at all, but instead it's Mephala's quest (who happens to be the Morag Tong's deity). The guy you want to kill is right by Caius Cossade's house, next to the guard tower (I'm pretty sure it's the only guard tower on that side of the river). There are two stories to the house, and the guy you want to kill is on the second story. Do not go in through the front door, or your victim will spot you and you'll have failed the quest. You need to enter the guy's house through a trap door on the roof of the building, you ought to be able to jump onto the roof from the guard tower. Click on the pot cooking on the fire, I forget if you have to specifically put the herbs in the pot or if clicking on the pot automatically does it for you. Then leave the same way you came in (through the trap door), and go back to the Morag Tong headquarter to talk to Mephala.
Old September 9, 2002, 00:54   #157
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

hmm, it has been a while, but I think I can go back to that save (is it worth it?)

and how do you have all this stuff at your finger tips?

Jon Miller
(I have already went through the front door)
Old September 9, 2002, 00:55   #158
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
If you find Azura's Star and fill it with a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper then you can sell it for 2,000,000 gold, which is far more money than anybody can afford to pay you for it.
I wouldn't do that

and I am playing with nothing but what is official, so fencing that much money would be impossible (I would be able to do 60000, not 2000000)

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 00:56   #159
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I would just lose 1 evening of play if I go back (assasinated a couple guys and went exploring)

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 00:56   #160
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
also, I get so many quests because it seems like every guy I talk to gives me one
I stop talking to random people after I've acquired enough quests. Faction quests are easy to avoid (just don't talk to the faction quest-giver, there're only a couple for each faction and the rest of the faction members are safe to talk to), miscellaneous quests are sometimes tougher to avoid but the rule of thumb is not to talk to random people who're wandering around outside of town because odds are that they're going to give you a quest. (A lot of these quests are easy "hey drop this crap off at this town for me" or "hey kill this easy-ass monster that's just over the hill" and are safe to take, but I usually just make a note of where the random people are wandering around and go talk to them after I've completed the faction quests and main quests that I'm working on.)
Old September 9, 2002, 00:59   #161
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
hmm, it has been a while, but I think I can go back to that save (is it worth it?)
You get a kickass ring for finishing the quest, so yes, it's worth it.

Quote:
and how do you have all this stuff at your finger tips?
I remember about the more important quests, namely the ones where you get fantastic items as a reward. That means that I remember about pretty much all of the Daedric quests, which is what you're on.

Quote:
(I have already went through the front door)
Didn't you get a message like "You've ****ed up the quest, Mephala will not be happy with you" after you went up to the front door?
Old September 9, 2002, 01:01   #162
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:

Didn't you get a message like "You've ****ed up the quest, Mephala will not be happy with you" after you went up to the front door?
I don't think so

but I might have missed it

I mostly just wondered arround (looking for a yurt to assasinate a guy), so I have not done too much

(I will try entering by the roof first though)

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 13:20   #163
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 07:11
There's a Legion quest getting me down a bit. It's a Buckmoth Quest (the Ald'Ruhn fort), the one where I have to find evidence in that potter's house that he's smuggling Dwemer artifacts. Trouble is, I've gone over the place checking every pot, chest and crate and his desk, and all I can find is redware and peach glass. Since Imsin won't take no for an answer, I assume he's hiding it somewhere exceptionally cunning. Where?
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old September 9, 2002, 16:54   #164
Qilue
King

Local Time: 17:11
An easier way to get Golden Saint souls without needing lvl 100 Conjuration. Ok, you know how daedra like to hang around outside daedra shrines? Well, at lvl 14+, golden saints start appearing.

So, not only can you get the soul, but unlike a summoned one, you get their weapon, shield and usually a daedra heart. Best place is west of Balmora in that string of islands south of Gnaar Mok. There's two shrines there fairly close to each other.

You can also respawn the daedra by setting a recall mark near one and simply recall back, remembering to dispose of the corpses every time. Generally you'll get a lot of atronacks (sp?) and dremora and various other low level types. But occassionly a golden saint will appear and the higher your level, the more likely that will occur.

Best part about this method over casting a summon spell - you will pick up huge amounts of loot which can pay for the enchanting.
Old September 9, 2002, 17:01   #165
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You can also wander into the Red Mountain region and go hunting for Ascended Sleepers (there are quite a few there, especially when you've reached higher levels). They're easier than Golden Saints (no shields and apparently not many hit points), but they never leave any decent loot.
Old September 9, 2002, 19:48   #166
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:

Okay, that's not a Morag Tong quest at all, but instead it's Mephala's quest (who happens to be the Morag Tong's deity). The guy you want to kill is right by Caius Cossade's house, next to the guard tower (I'm pretty sure it's the only guard tower on that side of the river). There are two stories to the house, and the guy you want to kill is on the second story. Do not go in through the front door, or your victim will spot you and you'll have failed the quest. You need to enter the guy's house through a trap door on the roof of the building, you ought to be able to jump onto the roof from the guard tower. Click on the pot cooking on the fire, I forget if you have to specifically put the herbs in the pot or if clicking on the pot automatically does it for you. Then leave the same way you came in (through the trap door), and go back to the Morag Tong headquarter to talk to Mephala.
your memory finally fails

there is no fire and no place for a fire and no crockpot

(does the quest mess up if you become a Mong Tonger before completing it? I only went back so far and I might need to go back farther)

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 20:59   #167
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I completed the quest before I finished my Morag Tong initiation, but other daedric quests are independent of faction quests (so I doubt that being a full-blown Morag Tong member would be a problem). Are you sure there's no crock pot? The quest may have been changed in one of the patches (I completed the quest before patching my game), but I doubt it... You may still be at the wrong house, if you never received the "you have been spotted by your victim and the quest has failed" warning before.
Old September 9, 2002, 21:08   #168
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I am pretty sure I am in the right house (not completely sure since I am not playing the game at this moment, but 98% sure)

it is right by the tower and the corner of town, it has the right name and has the trap door and the standard door

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 21:32   #169
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

On the same side of the river as Caius's house? Hmm. You've searched the entire upper floor and there isn't a couldron or anything resembling a cauldron there?
Old September 9, 2002, 21:40   #170
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

no

there are some bowls

and a table (with one of the tankards knocked over)

when I drop into the room I drop into the middle of it, there is only one screen between the bed and a storage area

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 22:27   #171
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Okay, I just double-checked the house, and the cauldron is not suspended over a fire after all--it's up against the wall (the same wall as contains the door outside), between a chair and a wicker basket.
Old September 9, 2002, 22:53   #172
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

ah

I will try it, thanks

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 22:54   #173
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

BTW

Loinburger is being so helpful I feel I need to be helpful

here is a helpful hint

do not sell stuff you stole from a shopkeeper back to that particular shopkeeper

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 23:01   #174
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

No, they don't like that at all.

Also, be careful when doing assassinations for the Morag Tong while carrying stolen goods. When you present a Writ to a guard he will remove all of your stolen goods from inventory (as he would if you'd been caught for stealing). There's a plugin to fix this (I forget where I found it, but it's one of the third-party plugin sites that's listed on the Morrowind page).
Old September 9, 2002, 23:01   #175
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

BTW, how do you take screen shots?
Old September 9, 2002, 23:11   #176
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

when I kill people

I just get charged 40 dollars, so it is no big deal if I do not present a writ

also, I never get caught stealing

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 23:16   #177
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I have no clue how to take screen shots

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 23:18   #178
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The same thing happens to me when I pay forty bucks: my stolen items are removed from my person. I've gotta drop all of my stolen items before I talk to a guard. (I usually just pay off my bounty at the Thieve's Guild, since they don't mind if I'm carrying a few stolen goods on me.)
Old September 9, 2002, 23:27   #179
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I have never stole anything (but the one thing) as far as the gaurds are concerned

abeing that (except for the once) I have never gotten caught

Jon Miller
Old September 9, 2002, 23:30   #180
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I must admit that while I am big inthe theives huild and in other areas where I ssteal

my character is not a theif, it is merely just a means to an end (he is actng for the guild, not using the guild to help him steal more)

Jon Miller