Old August 31, 2002, 18:07   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 02:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is Gamespot talking about?
I recently read this on Gamespot's website in a preview report for Play the World...They are talking about the command buttons....Currently Civ3 has these interface abilities...do they know what they are talking about?

This is the excerpt in question from Gamespot's website (talking about Play the World):

"Previously, the common orders for all units, such as disband and go to, were displayed at the bottom of your screen, but orders unique to a unit, such as build a city for settlers or the various functions of the worker, weren't. You had to press the hotkey to access those tasks. This isn't too much of a problem for Civ veterans, but it didn't take into account new players who would have to fumble for their manuals to find the hotkeys each time they wanted to irrigate a square or build a mine. Now, all these special commands are displayed as buttons above the common suite of options. For workers, the orders displayed fluctuate depending on the terrain they are standing on. If a worker is on a mountain, he gets the build mine button, but not the irrigate button, and when he steps onto a plains square, the build mine button goes away to be replaced by an irrigate button. The hotkeys still work, but at least now all the orders are displayed for easy mouse access and as a guide for those who don't know the hotkeys. Even better, when you mouse over a command, you are now told how long a task will take, such as how many turns it will take your worker to clear a forest or build a road over a mountain."

the whole article is here: http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...878756,00.html

This is all currently in Civ3.

Old August 31, 2002, 18:11   #2
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Well... you got me. What are they talking about?
Old August 31, 2002, 18:13   #3
vee4473
King

Do they not know how the game currently plays?
Old August 31, 2002, 18:22   #4
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 00:15
Oh...I know what he's tlaking about now. He's talking about RoC3 (Rise of Civilization III). You know, that civ-clone that has all the features that civers have asked for since the early days of Civilization, the editor was completed BEFORE the game shipped and nothing is hardcoded...completely customizable for modders. It's published by Microsoft...

Sigh...

All kidding aside, I don't think this previewer has any clue what he's talking about. Something tells me that playing a demonstration-copy of PTW was the first time he'd ever played ANY of the Civ titles. Probably did his research using only the manuals, package advertising, and whatever marketing wordplay he received when asked to right the preview.

BTW: I whole-heartedly love Civ, Civ2, CTP, Civ3, and at somepoint plan on getting PTW. So no, I'm not looking for a ticket to Mingapulco.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old August 31, 2002, 18:55   #5
vee4473
King

By the way,

I address this to the Apolyton "news centre"

I just read your little scribble about Gamespots preview..Didn't YOU GUYS notice what I'm talking about?? You mentioned nothing!

What the ??
Old August 31, 2002, 19:00   #6
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 09:15
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=60468