Old August 31, 2002, 22:21   #1
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OCC Victory: Cultural Win in 2006
I just finished my first OCC game in civ3, winning via cultural domination in 2006 ad. Has anyone else attempted this, achieved this? What are the records? What other methods of winning?

I'm sure I didn't take the best approach, i was never a great OCC player, even in civ2, but it was always a fun challenge.

I played as the egyptions, and had build the following city improvements and wonders:
palace (of course)
temple
library
cathedral
university
colosseum
Great Pyramids
Hanging Gardens
Great Library
The Oracle
Copernicus' Observatory
Shakespears Theater.
Iron Works.

I was 1 turn away from building Issac Newton's College thing when the romans got it, and 3 turns away from J.S. Bach's cathedral when the greeks got it. Also, universal sufferage would have completed building in 2007 (the next turn).

-theonion.com
Old August 31, 2002, 22:32   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Good job! What difficulty level?
Old August 31, 2002, 22:35   #3
connorkimbro
Emperor

oh yeah, warlord.

like i said, i'm not a great player, and it was my first attempt at OCC in civ 3, so i wanted to back it off a little bit, from my usual civ3 level of regent.

a better player than i could do it much faster and a higher level, but hey, i'm happy with my win.

-theonion.com
Old August 31, 2002, 22:38   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Any level is good to win with OCC. I don't think it would be possible past Regent, hence the lack of discussion.
Old August 31, 2002, 22:40   #5
connorkimbro
Emperor

even warlord was pretty tough.

OCC in civ3 is definately much harder than it was in civ2. Heck, if i didn't know better, i'd think civ2 was DESIGNED to be played as occ. almost every game mechanic favored it in really odd ways . . . just had to know how to twist the system.

Civ3 doesn't have those twists, and if it does, they havn't been found yet.

-theonion.com
Old August 31, 2002, 22:43   #6
notyoueither
Deity

Or rather, it was designed to close the loop holes.

They are certainly closing the loop holes as they go for non OCC.
Old August 31, 2002, 22:46   #7
connorkimbro
Emperor

i'd think a diplomatic OCC win should be easier even than cultural victory. perhaps i'll try a regent game next, and aim for diplomatic.

my strategy will be, play nice with the other boys and girls, and get to fission first. lol

-theonion.com
Old August 31, 2002, 23:02   #8
notyoueither
Deity

That would be among the only hopes.

Be nice and prebuild that UN.
Old August 31, 2002, 23:05   #9
connorkimbro
Emperor

hah, prebuild the UN, and hope that every other civilization chooses to vote for ME, the weakest, smallest civilization on the planet. lol.

perhaps it won't be so easy

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 00:05   #10
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:16
Being able to build Iron works did help I guess
lucky break :still, congrats

P.S.: you build the Pyramids??? other then culture points, It must have been really usefull
Old September 1, 2002, 00:12   #11
connorkimbro
Emperor

i built the pyramids
1) because of the GA
2) because of the culture points
3) because i didn't need to build anything else at the moment.

iron works did help, but it came rather late in the game, and i probably would have won anyway, though a bit later. i was lucky (to say the least) of getting coal and iron in the same city radius, the only one that i happened to build. i really did have a GREAT start point. right by a river, 2 hills, a mountain, a few plains and some grassland. there were forests over some of the grassland, and there was a furs luxery nearby as well.

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 02:53   #12
Gwylim
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:16
OCC means OneCityChallenge ???
You have only one city and you can win the Game???
That you was lucky then with being able to build Ironworks is VERY VERY TRUE...I just finnished a game on a huge map yesterday, conquering the last city on Pangea and only NOW it would be able for me to build ironworks when i dont need anymore (i have now about 300 citys....)
Ah, one more question: How big is this city and did you had much wars? How much units do you have???
Old September 1, 2002, 07:16   #13
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Do you have a screenshot of one of your last turns?
(your capital)

(btw: this is NOT an 'I don't believe you until you come up with a screenshot' type of question

Just want to see what you city and surroundings look like.
Actually I have never done an OCC (always want to, but for some reason...)

Btw2: what were your settings (pangea,.....)
Old September 1, 2002, 07:41   #14
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 10:16
I don't think Regent Diplomatic OCC is possible. Yes, you can be real nice and prevent them from attacking you (even though, the AI on Regent is less friendly). But then, you'll have the lowest score of all civs, and you'll have to get everyone else to REALLY love you to win the vote.
Old September 1, 2002, 12:42   #15
connorkimbro
Emperor

Quote:
OCC means OneCityChallenge ???
You have only one city and you can win the Game???
That you was lucky then with being able to build Ironworks is VERY VERY TRUE...I just finnished a game on a huge map yesterday, conquering the last city on Pangea and only NOW it would be able for me to build ironworks when i dont need anymore (i have now about 300 citys....)
Ah, one more question: How big is this city and did you had much wars? How much units do you have???
Lucky to get iron works? Sure. Lucky to win? Not really, it wasn't too hard.

i had a few early defensive units, but never even bothered to upgrade them. i never fought any wars, though it might have been useful to fight some wars with distant enemies.

Quote:
Do you have a screenshot of one of your last turns?
(your capital)

(btw: this is NOT an 'I don't believe you until you come up with a screenshot' type of question

Just want to see what you city and surroundings look like.
Actually I have never done an OCC (always want to, but for some reason...)

Btw2: what were your settings (pangea,.....)
Sure, i can get a screen shot. it will be in my next post.

Settings were standard map size, archipelligoes, 80% water, 8 civs, temperate climate, 5 bil years. roaming barbarians.
Quote:
I don't think Regent Diplomatic OCC is possible.
i'll never know till i try

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 12:44   #16
connorkimbro
Emperor

the end game screen shot of my capitol

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 12:48   #17
connorkimbro
Emperor

oops. here it really is
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006egypt.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	23388  

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 12:50   #18
connorkimbro
Emperor

and here is the city view screen
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	2006thebes.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	23389  

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 12:51   #19
connorkimbro
Emperor

and the culture advisor
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	2006culture.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	23390  

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 16:26   #20
hr_oskar
Chieftain

Your army was one spearman? Must have been a Killer Spearman, if it got you through the ages

I suppose you paid every tribute ever asked for...
Old September 1, 2002, 16:32   #21
candybo
Warlord

Local Time: 02:16
Lucky you didn't end up with "spearman gum" ..... groan...
Old September 1, 2002, 16:37   #22
Chemical Ollie
King

I have won a OCC on warlord or regent, (can't remember which). The win was by culture around 1900 something. It was on a tiny map with 3 opponents. There were no luxuries at all on the entire map for some unknown reason. In the end of the game, the whole world was in MPP with each other, and the other civs were gratious with me.

I've also tried OCC on higher levels, but failed miserably
Old September 1, 2002, 17:33   #23
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Whoa... that's one crowded map! Rome is only a stone's throw from your capital!
Old September 1, 2002, 18:48   #24
connorkimbro
Emperor

Hey, i figured if those damn spearman can kill my tanks, they'd been good enough to defend my city.

Except for barbarians at the beginning, i was never even attacked. A few of the civs demanded tribute a few times, but never very much, and i was more than able to make it up from selling techs.

Crowded map, lol, you bet. Standard map size, and so 7 civs, but tons of water and lots of islands, so not much land space.

It actually might work better on a pangea continent, that way the other civs would fight with eachother more, as well as getting contact with them much sooner in the game.

BTW, those damn spartans (the city right below my capital) kept wanting to join up with my civ. I wonder why? I kept having to tell them NO. LOL. I think they tried to join my civ like, 5 times, before the greeks started putting much culture into it.

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 20:09   #25
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 20:16
Well I just tried a OCC, Regent, Egyept, small map, islands. Won by culture 2004.

Started at a moderate site, grassland, forest, some jungle, one hill - it could easily have been better. No river or bonus food. I moved my settler to the coast and found a fish and built my base in range of two furs (+1 shield).

The fish and two forest furs did provide good production and I got the following wonders:
Collosus
Great Lighthouse (used it to make some slightly profitable trades..)
Great Library (Saved some cash buying tech)
Sistine
Shakespheare (+8 culture!!!!!)
Copernicus' Observatory
Issac Newton's College
Universal Sufferage

I made a killing selling tech in the industrial age, after building the two +100% science wonders i was getting tech every 7-11 turns and could sell it for tech or GPT deals, or prefferably both.
At my richest I was sitting on 8000 gold.

The Americans were by far the most powerful, reaching tech every 4 at the end of the medieval age, I had to steal several tech from them because it was cheaper than buying. I funded this stealing with the GPT deals I got from them, the romans and the Aztecs.

I got attacked once by my only neighbour, Rome. I hate Romans. I had a few units and they fought off the Roman invasion and the Romans left me in peace for the rest of the game.

I was lucky enough to have Iron and Coal in range of my city (not in radius tho), I had to use a colony for both, and wouldn't have had either if Roman cities didn't flip to me (I immediately disbanded them).
I traded for rubber and upgraded all my units to Infantry. Had a standing defense of 4 infantry and 4 artillery.

At the end I was 3 turns away from building United Nations.
(I proceeded to play a few more turns and nuked and invaded the romans with the help of my American allies)

I had a score of around 160, rank Worthless. Making the cultural victory seem all the more hollow.
I'll post screenies next time I am in Windows.

Last edited by Blake; September 1, 2002 at 22:52.
Old September 1, 2002, 21:52   #26
connorkimbro
Emperor

good job, blake! from my experience (and from reading yours) winning OCC is all about that very subtle diplomacy early in the game . . . that's the only way to stay on top tech wise, and so the only way to have a chance at building the wonders. I've had one winning game (a rather easy win) and one losing game (was really close at the beginning, and then had no chance towards the end. it could easily have gone the other way) but my games were at warlord, so the fact you did it at reagent is awesome.

-theonion.com
Old September 2, 2002, 13:39   #27
ToeTruck
Warlord

Other OCC Victories
Hi Connor and folks,

A few months ago, there were a couple of other threads about OCC games. Here's a link to one of them:

[URL=http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39296&highlight=quest]

Playing the Persians and Greeks under Deity could produce some excellent OCC spaceship victories. I've never tried an OCC Cultural game under any level, but it might be fun.

What patch level are you playing under?

My successes were with 1.17 and under. I don't think I've had an OCC victory since 1.21 and 1.29 game out and tech-whoring went away.

Talk to you later.

- TT
Old September 2, 2002, 16:18   #28
lemu
Settler

Hi all,
I just finished to win the game with diplomatic victory in 1874 in Difficult level . It was a hard stuff. I am a little disapointed by the points obtained : 2 675.
The best point is to spending not so time to play ;-)
Nice play anyway.
Is someone wins the game in an upper level ?
Old September 2, 2002, 16:59   #29
connorkimbro
Emperor

Good job, lemu, what were your strategies? How'd the game play out?

ToeTruck: I'm playing under 1.29, and didn't use any exploits, just played straight up.

-theonion.com
Old September 2, 2002, 22:02   #30
ToeTruck
Warlord

Hi Connor,

Getting an OCC victory under 1.29 is a major accomplishment as far as I'm concerned. No matter what level and no matter what conditions.

I'll give English Glory shot. Trying for OCC using a Commercial/Expansionistic civ sounds like a big challenge.

- TT