Old September 1, 2002, 09:34   #1
blueMoose
Settler

Local Time: 02:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
beginers questions on trade and treaties
Playing my first CivIII game, standard map, 5 other civs, Warlord, and I have a few questions regarding treaties and trade.

First- In 450 BC I (China) had to smack down the Russians a few times for crossing my border. I asked them to leave, and they said they would, but they then preceded deeper into my territory. They were terminated with extreme prejudice. In 130 BC the Ruskies sued for peace and I granted it to them. I know that the treaty is for 20 turns, but how do i check how many turns are left, it is now 50 ad. Can I even check this or do I need to calculate the turns based on the year?

Second - I want to start developing foreign trade routes, but I have a few questions. I know that our capitols need to be connected, but my neighbors are a little behind on there road work. Do I need to wait on them our can I build a road through there territory to connect us? Do I need their permission first?

Last question - are there any information sources for a beginner to use besides the manual and the civpedia, both leave out allot of detail. The forums are great, but most posts are a little more advanced and I hate to bother any one with a beginner question if I can look it up elsewhere.
Old September 1, 2002, 11:09   #2
reefer addict
Warlord

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1.) to check the lenght remaining on a treaty go to the diplomacy screen with the civ (russia in this case) and hit the active button near the bottom and that will tell you how many turns are left , peace treaty(15) or something like that.

2.)to build a road to your neighbor you can either enter his territory and just build it ( but they might get mad) or you can build an embassy with the civ( the star next to your capitol is used for that) and then get a right of passage deal with them, then you will have no problems building there roads. you can build a harbor as well to establish a trade route but a road network is your best bet on warlord.

3.) the forums is the best place i know to get answeres to questions, dont worry about asking . you can also search the forums and find posts that deal with your subject most of the time.

i hope this all helps, good luck
Old September 1, 2002, 11:12   #3
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your 20 turn question, but I notice that often with the Ai, you cand send in workers to work on a small stretch of road or two. As long as they are not to belligerent, they usually just give the remove your troops warning. If you have writing you can establish an embassy and ask for a right of passage agreement, though this will allow them to send settlers through your territory.
Old September 1, 2002, 11:55   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 00:18
Re: beginers questions on trade and treaties
Quote:
Originally posted by blueMoose

In 130 BC the Ruskies sued for peace and I granted it to them. I know that the treaty is for 20 turns, but how do i check how many turns are left, it is now 50 ad. Can I even check this or do I need to calculate the turns based on the year?
Generally peace treaties don't need to be renegotiated, they just stay in place until war is declared. As for checking, patch 1.29f now has a preference that requires that you automatically have to renegotiate every 20 turns.

There's also a link at the very bottom of your trade screen that you can click to see what's active. In fact that's what it's called. You'll see it at the very bottom of the screen that you enter when you want to make a deal, along with links entitled "Clear Table" and "New".

Quote:
The forums are great, but most posts are a little more advanced and I hate to bother any one with a beginner question if I can look it up elsewhere.
I wouldn't worry about it. Most people around here don't have any problems with answering questions they have an answer to.
Old September 1, 2002, 13:26   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Ask away...

You can also check the Apolyton FAQ:

http://apolyton.net/forums/misc.php?...=faq&page=5#50
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 1, 2002, 14:35   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:18
You do not need to worry about renewing peace treaties as they will terminate them when they want to and leave them alone the rest of the time. The exception is if you want to renegoitate it and ask for something extra. Go to the advisor and propose a deal. Select active and have fun.
As to questions this board is full of people who enjoy giving their two cent to anyone who wants it and that is a good thing (most of the time). You only have to worry about abuse when you offer advice or opions.