Old September 1, 2002, 10:39   #1
Valkyrie
Settler

Local Time: 07:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
getting up to speed on Civ III
Hello! I got Civ3 when it came out a couple of years ago, and played it up to the time Marla's Earth map was beginning to take shape. That was a while back.

Can anyone tell me what I need to "update" my game? I've been reading a lot of this Civ3:PTW game. Is it out yet? And is it a new game all to itself (I have to buy it) or is it downloadable somewhere?

Thank you for the help! My little bro wants to play Civ3, but wants me with him to "help" him in case other Civs want to take his cities I hope we can do multiplayer soon!
Old September 1, 2002, 11:13   #2
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:18
Re: getting up to speed on Civ III
Quote:
Originally posted by Valkyrie
Can anyone tell me what I need to "update" my game? I've been reading a lot of this Civ3:PTW game. Is it out yet? And is it a new game all to itself (I have to buy it) or is it downloadable somewhere?
I hope we can do multiplayer soon!
To update, you'll need the newest patch, version 1.29, found at http://www.civ3.com.

Civ3: Play the World is an expansion pack, so it requires Civ3 to use. But it's not free. And it isn't out yet. I think it'll come out in October. Multiplayer will be a feature in PtW.
Old September 1, 2002, 13:58   #3
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

You got civ3 a couple of years ago, nice!

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 1, 2002, 14:26   #4
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 09:18
Re: getting up to speed on Civ III
Quote:
Hello! I got Civ3 when it came out a couple of years ago, and played it up to the time Marla's Earth map was beginning to take shape. That was a while back.

Thank you for the help! My little bro wants to play Civ3, but wants me with him to "help" him in case other Civs want to take his cities I hope we can do multiplayer soon!
hi ,

, maybe a visit to www.firaxis.com or www.civ3.com would be good to start with , ...

there is a new patch , 1.29f , you can find it here , or at the two sites above , ...

you probably mean months , .....

MP is around the corner with PTW , and you shall have to pay for it , ...

its sort of an extension on civ3

have a nice day
Old September 1, 2002, 19:56   #5
Valkyrie
Settler

hehe... sorry... what I meant is, I got Civ3 when it came out... my bad. I guess it was around last year... can't remember...

Anyway, so all I need is the patch? Got that already. Hmmm... what's the favorite mod or util for Civ3, if any?

So PTW isn't out yet... hehehe Thanks for the info!
Old September 2, 2002, 03:14   #6
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
hehe... sorry... what I meant is, I got Civ3 when it came out... my bad. I guess it was around last year... can't remember...

Anyway, so all I need is the patch? Got that already. Hmmm... what's the favorite mod or util for Civ3, if any?

So PTW isn't out yet... hehehe Thanks for the info!
hi ,

most of us got it last year , so actually we , including you have it two years , .....

okay , want a mod , scroll down at this page , look for "contact us - Apolyton civilization site" , click on apo civ site , click civ3 , click downloads , ..... and you have a zillion civ3 files , .....

have a nice day
Old September 2, 2002, 07:34   #7
Valkyrie
Settler

panag,

Thanks for the heads up. Actually, I can't remember when I got Civ3, but I got it as soon as it came out in the US (IIRC, I had an aunt buy it and ship it to me). It seems so long ago, so if it wasn't last year, then it was the year before.... or I'm just getting old

Thanks for the heads up on the downloads! I'm not spending enough time online to go digging, so I missed that... if anyone could recommend a great Earth map, it would help things a lot...

BTW, are combat helicopters implemented in the game yet? And did they fix those problems with corruption? Last time I remember, Civs beyond 16 cities had serious corruption problems. Has this changed?

Thanks for the help!
Old September 2, 2002, 09:11   #8
Hagbart
Prince

Download the Lord of the Rings map in my signature below. It's great!

Old September 3, 2002, 08:59   #9
Valkyrie
Settler

Hagbart,
Thanks, it looks great! I'll try it soon

I see Marla's world map is still up, anyone tried playing it? Comments, anyone?
Old September 3, 2002, 17:12   #10
Hagbart
Prince

Marlas map is far too slow unless you have a brand new computer. It's too bad because it's made so nice..

Old September 3, 2002, 20:47   #11
Valkyrie
Settler

Too slow? I guess you mean it is slow when you play it with 16 civs and everything on? Or do you mean slow because it is very big?

BTW, are combat helicopters implemented in the game yet? And did they fix those problems with corruption? Last time I remember, Civs beyond 16 cities had serious corruption problems. Has this changed?

And can anyone refresh my memory on how many cities is the norm before corruption really gets to be a problem even with the best government? I seem to be having too much cities....

Oh, and do you play the "strategically put cities where the good stuff are" (expands to specific areas) or "strategially put the cities so that every tile in the territory is used" (expands to cover the map)? I'd like to hear thoughts on these build styles.

Thanks for the help!
Old September 6, 2002, 12:16   #12
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Too slow? I guess you mean it is slow when you play it with 16 civs and everything on? Or do you mean slow because it is very big?

And can anyone refresh my memory on how many cities is the norm before corruption really gets to be a problem even with the best government? I seem to be having too much cities....

Oh, and do you play the "strategically put cities where the good stuff are" (expands to specific areas) or "strategially put the cities so that every tile in the territory is used" (expands to cover the map)? I'd like to hear thoughts on these build styles.

Thanks for the help!
hi ,

the map aint slow

give the editor a try , ....

it shall solve most of your Qs , ....

have a nice day