Old September 21, 2002, 18:58   #151
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
Loc, what's the final date for submissions?
For now I think I'll give everyone 1 week extra, so until October 10, to send in savegames. Depending on how things develop I might extend or maybe even shorten that (but shortening it is not likely).
Old September 22, 2002, 19:38   #152
ETB
Warlord

Local Time: 02:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

For now I think I'll give everyone 1 week extra, so until October 10, to send in savegames. Depending on how things develop I might extend or maybe even shorten that (but shortening it is not likely).
Phew, I am glad to hear that! I am only at about 1100 AD and I have a long way to go for the science win. This MP tournament took more of my CtP2 time than I thought. But I’ll squeeze in as much as I can for this SP tourney for the good of Apolyton!

Last edited by ETB; September 23, 2002 at 22:04.
Old September 23, 2002, 04:52   #153
Jesper Portus
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

Puh! Thanks.
I´am at 1.000 BC, 27 citys an a big war with the persians. Maybe 100 units destroyed on each site!

So long
J.P.
Old September 23, 2002, 07:49   #154
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 17:22
Well, I'm going to start this SP tourney. Let's see how I go.
Old September 23, 2002, 19:18   #155
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 00:22
i should be starting tomorrow

i hope to finish fast
Old September 24, 2002, 19:39   #156
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Okay folks, you are starting to scare me, so lets start seeing some more games rolling in!!!
So far there are only two submissions, it would be a real shame if we had a repeat of the 2nd tournament, where there were only four, or God forbid if there are even fewer
Old September 25, 2002, 00:08   #157
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Be patient. Its a long hard game is Cradle! ... well for some of us. Ill be submitting, hopefully soon.
Old September 25, 2002, 06:32   #158
Jesper Portus
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Be patient. Its a long hard game is Cradle! ... well for some of us. Ill be submitting, hopefully soon.
Very hard! But very good!
I hope to submit in time.
I try my best!

So long
JP
Old September 25, 2002, 10:25   #159
mnbryan37
Warlord

Local Time: 01:22
I've got my game going again. I think Martin was right, that there is some problem in the Diplomod program, especially when you do a lot of Bloodbath's of captured cities. I went back about 50 turns, where I had started doing a number of Bloodbath's, and changed to Starving and Dispanding instead and I was able to play through the place that I started having the program crashes. So far so good. I may finish yet.
Old September 25, 2002, 16:49   #160
ETB
Warlord

Why aren't you selecting the "relocate" or "enslave" options upon city capture?
Old September 25, 2002, 18:05   #161
Shadow
Warlord

I'm researching printing press... another civ is building the Internet and GlobeSat!!!

I'm still taking empty cities with my horseys, but I'm dodging the likes of paratroopers now.

Somehow I'm slowly bringing them down with my stealthy tactics though...

Hopefully I'll finish in time.
Now the fat lady's singin'...
Old September 25, 2002, 20:30   #162
mnbryan37
Warlord

Got to keep the total number of cities down, plus I very seldom use slaves, after all, I am a northern, not a southern plantation owner.
Old September 28, 2002, 04:21   #163
Shadow
Warlord

Looks like I may have to pull out folks...
I can't finish within the allotted time. I'll submit an 'incomplete' if it's allowed, I guess everyone could take a look and see if they can finish it on top.

Shadow
Old September 28, 2002, 11:16   #164
mnbryan37
Warlord

I may not finish either. It is a very long game. I have more than enough playing time in to have finished any other game, but am only at 500AD. A win is possible, but the tatics are weird. Instead of normal or historical tactics, one must take advantage of the existing AI weaknesses, as it is impossible to beat them by raw force. I have eliminated 2 AI's and have a third on the ropes. To accomplish this I had to lure troops out of their cities, rush in and destroy the city and then run like hell. This, to me , is not the way the game should be played. I am fighting with Legions, Catapolts, and even still some Archers. The next two AI's I need to take on have Infantry and Knights (which is crazy, gunpowder didn't exist in 500 AD), but the final AI (Pink) has Bombers, Fighters, Machine Gunners, and Artillary already!!. Pink has a stack of these approaching one of my main cities. I have no choice but to give up the city, as it would take at least 50 troops to try to defend it.
Old September 28, 2002, 18:09   #165
Shadow
Warlord

My thoughts exactly mnbryan37. It's been an interesting game, but the interest is wearing thin... I just don't have it in me to put lots of hours into it when I'm playing with these kinds of conditions.

Can't wait for tournament No. 5 though!
Old September 28, 2002, 19:07   #166
Dread_Doomfist
Chieftain

Locutus: have you tried to finish my save-game?? i can't...the game crashed every time..if i try this...
Old September 29, 2002, 13:01   #167
ETB
Warlord

I was able to achieve a science victory in my game! I guess that I’ll have to email it to Locutus because it is too big to post! Unfortunately, CtP2 crashes on my machine after viewing the science victory movie - how disappointing after nearly 900 turns! I hope that Locutus has better luck than I did in getting past the victory movie.

I also ran into 2 fatal problems during gameplay. The first occurred when I negotiated peace with the Carths. The game would crash shortly after I accepted their cease-fire. If I didn’t accept the cease-fire, then the game wouldn’t crash. (I began to wonder if Cradle was designed for really aggressive play!) I only had stealth units in Carth territory, but I was moving them out because I had GlobeSat and I didn’t need the stealth units for surveillance anymore. I found that I could disband the units near Carth cities and the game would no longer crash after I accepted the cease-fire. I could not see if the Carths were attempting to expel my units or attack them after accepting the cease-fire, but I am confident that the crash I was experiencing is related to the Carths attempting to do something on a stealth unit near one of their cities. I had only spies and corporate branches in Carth territory, so I disbanded or moved them away from Carth units and cities to continue my game.

The second problem occurred late in the game when I completed the tech tree. No matter what I did, CtP2 would lock up (or freeze) rather than let me research Hextapul. Life Extension was the last advance that I researched. The game would not allow me to switch to Hextapul before I completed researching Life Extension and it would always freeze at the beginning of my turn after I completed my research of Life Extension. I didn’t need Life Extension, so I increased its science cost so I would not complete it before I completed the GAIA project. I am wondering if this somehow causes my game to crash after viewing the science victory movie…

Last edited by ETB; September 29, 2002 at 14:46.
Old September 29, 2002, 15:46   #168
ETB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dread_Doomfist
Locutus: have you tried to finish my save-game?? i can't...the game crashed every time..if i try this...
I tried your game and it behaves exactly like mine – it crashes after the victory movie plays! Fortunately, we can calculate our scores by using the score before the movie and add the victory bonus amount (and the amount for your final city). This is certainly strange though. My CtP2 had not crashed before I played this game, although I haven’t played as many games as most folks here. I really enjoyed playing this game though.
Quote:
Originally posted by mnbryan37
I may not finish either. It is a very long game. I have more than enough playing time in to have finished any other game, but am only at 500AD. A win is possible, but the tactics are weird. Instead of normal or historical tactics, one must take advantage of the existing AI weaknesses, as it is impossible to beat them by raw force. I have eliminated 2 AI's and have a third on the ropes. To accomplish this I had to lure troops out of their cities, rush in and destroy the city and then run like hell. This, to me , is not the way the game should be played. I am fighting with Legions, Catapults, and even still some Archers.
I didn’t think to try that tactic. I was able to take most of the Persian and Greek cities early on in my game because many of their cities were poorly defended, although I had to build four separate invasion forces to do it. That must have given me the empire base required to catch up in science in time to take on the Etruscans. The Etruscans, Carthaginians, Celts, and Nubians all had well-defended cities, so it was slow going when compared to the Greeks and Persians! I built lots of forts so I could refresh my troops, attack an AI stack or city, retreat to a nearby fort with few or no losses and rotate in a fresh stack. I spent over 100 turns in this type of combat with the Etruscans and I would wear down each stack until I could eliminate it. I didn’t take many cities during these turns because they were too well defended. The tide changed when I was able to build an air force and attack with air and ground troops.
Quote:
The next two AI's I need to take on have Infantry and Knights (which is crazy, gunpowder didn't exist in 500 AD), but the final AI (Pink) has Bombers, Fighters, Machine Gunners, and Artillery already!!. Pink has a stack of these approaching one of my main cities. I have no choice but to give up the city, as it would take at least 50 troops to try to defend it.
I noticed the readme for Cradle states that the timeline doesn’t match history. I built the Solaris wonder in 1850, which definitely doesn’t match history! Many times I was able to take AI cities and then watch in amazement as they retreated even though I was severely outnumbered. It turned out to work often enough that I continued some campaigns with a lot more aggression than normal. Of course, I got really mad when the AI would counter-attack me! I had plenty of turns where I intently watched the AI move troops near weak stacks, empty or weak cities, or stealth units and I wondered what they would do. Fortunately for me, they didn’t exploit my vulnerabilities. I think Shadow is playing such a high-risk type of game. It works well as long as you can keep your opponents off-guard!

I also saw the AI keep its word in many agreements. The Persians kept their promise not to trespass for almost 700 turns! The Egyptians were the only AI to attack me after negotiating a cease-fire during the entire game, which I thought was odd in CtP2. I certainly expect the AI to break their word more often. The anti-piracy agreements were broken quite often though. I guess that it’s hard for the AI not to pirate! I found that the AI doesn’t like to be embargoed and the AI will honor it’s anti-piracy agreement the longest when it is tied to lifting an embargo against them. But it takes along time to negotiate such an agreement!

Last edited by ETB; September 29, 2002 at 15:51.
Old September 29, 2002, 22:43   #169
mnbryan37
Warlord

I concur that thw AI's still don't use their military advantage very well. I survived a number of close calls while the AI "danced" around prior to attacking. In my game, I was able to take a number of poorly defended cities early, as most of you did, but I found out early that it could take up to 3 stacks of my forces to take a well defended city, so I adopted the "lure, attack, destroy, and run" technique for those. My empire had pretty much caught up with all the other AI's except for Red and Pink. If I started the game over I would go after them earlier in the game, as their "personality" make-up (Populist Zealot and Evil Genius) make the best military leaders. By 500 AD Pink was so far ahead of everyone else, including me, that I am sure a military victory against them is not possible. They have Planes, Artilary, and Tanks, vs my Legions and Catapults, not much of a match. They brought in a stack of Tanks at about 550AD, and proceeded to wipe out a third of my forces in less than 10 turns.

If anyone scores a military victory in this game I'll buy them diner!!!
Old September 29, 2002, 22:57   #170
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:

Sounds like a fun challenge, not that I want the dinner, but post the game I'd like to give it shot. Espescially, since I feel like I got jipped since I got the such an early peaceful end to my game.
Old September 29, 2002, 23:01   #171
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Incidently centrifuge, what exactly did you do to get all the AI's so happy so soon?
Old September 29, 2002, 23:18   #172
centrifuge
Prince

Nothing out of the ordinary, I swear!!! I just made a beeline for diplomats, and took advantage of the main weakness that the game has... the diplomacy. If you take a diplomat to another civ, it is possible to get an alliance with them on the very first meeting. The things to remeber is that a tougher civ likes you to act meek... Until they reject your propasal, then they cave in if you threaten to declare war. It was always the same... either had to be meek or friendly/equal... and then give them a threat. After an alliance is made, no matter how it was made, the AI alway holds you in high regard.
Old September 29, 2002, 23:25   #173
Maquiladora
Emperor

I suppose that is very possible. I think i wouldve expected one of the AI's to ask you to attack the other because of the alliance, i always get that crap.

Anyway im on for a military victory now, although i have no idea how far ahead pink is in tech, havent bothered to ferry a diplomat across yet.

I noticed the AI defends it's cities well with wonders in though, or maybe its just a coincidence in my game. I keep using the old crossed swords over the city trick though, its my only way to take any cities.
Old September 30, 2002, 00:31   #174
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
I suppose that is very possible. I think i wouldve expected one of the AI's to ask you to attack the other because of the alliance, i always get that crap.
Ohh, they did, absolutely... They would ask me to attack another civ, I'd counter and say well, okay I'll attack if you give me your best city (something that I knew they would refuse ) this would break the alliance, but all that I had to do was turn around, and remake the alliance as soon as it was my turn(suckers ) . This kept happening, until I got alliances with everyone, at which point the game was over.
Old September 30, 2002, 04:56   #175
Dread_Doomfist
Chieftain

Quote:
uuuhm...look at my save-game..it's the military-victory..ok..military win in the last year..but i had wait..for a higher score....
Old September 30, 2002, 16:05   #176
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
The next two AI's I need to take on have Infantry and Knights (which is crazy, gunpowder didn't exist in 500 AD)...
Actually, this doesn't seem too out-of-the-ordinary, given how the tech tree is structured. Gunpowder is available in the Medieval Age, and Infantrymen are only the second gunpowder unit...

Quote:
...but the final AI (Pink) has Bombers, Fighters, Machine Gunners, and Artillary already!!. Pink has a stack of these approaching one of my main cities. I have no choice but to give up the city, as it would take at least 50 troops to try to defend it.
This, however is incredible...Seems the AI doesn't have a problem in the area of research - and it is out-performing what I expected it to be able to do. And up to this point in time (version 1.3-1.31), players had been reporting that the Human was able to catch up, tech-wise, to the AI during the Medieval Ages. I did not change anything that would give the AI a greater advantage from 1.31 to 1.32 either.

Question: were you keeping close to the city caps???
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old September 30, 2002, 18:55   #177
ETB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dread_Doomfist
uuuhm...look at my save-game..it's the military-victory..ok..military win in the last year..but i had wait..for a higher score....
Well then it’s settled – we’ll all meet in Germany for dinner!

I was wondering why you left that one Egyptian city until the end of time, now it makes sense

I would not want to replay this game though. I consider myself extremely lucky after having read some of the posts here. Hopefully we’ll see more end game files soon.
Old September 30, 2002, 21:39   #178
mnbryan37
Warlord

Hexagonian,

By "City Caps" I assume you mean the max cities allowed for each govt. I used. Yes, in fact I was always 2-4 cities over each time I moved up to an improved govt. I also maxed out my research slider and also maxed out selected cites, that I was starving out, with scientist's. As a result, I was close to all the other AI's in technology by 400AD, except for Pink.

I have tried 2 other Cradel games, at about the same settings, and did not have this problem, at least up to 500AD or so.

DD

I am impressed!!! You must be very good and very lucky. I've played a lot of Conquest games in CTP2 and CIV2, and never lost before. I haven't looked at your game yet. Were you able to get close to Pink in Technology before you went to war with them?

Next time you're in Minnesota, dinner is on me!

Magailadoia

I have not found the same trend as you as to which cities are most heavily defended. It seems pretty random to me. In fact I usually send Tonto into town (an American joke) ahead of my main attack force to determine how many troops are there. It's a suicide mission, but is a good use for my obsolete troops.

What is the "crossed swords over the city" trick?
Old September 30, 2002, 22:48   #179
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:

What is the "crossed swords over the city" trick?
This is a small bug in CTP2, that allows you to know whether a city is defended or not. If you run your unit selected cursor over a city that is defended, crossed swords will show up, if its undefended they won't.
Old October 1, 2002, 01:55   #180
Jesper Portus
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ETB
Well then it’s settled – we’ll all meet in Germany for dinner!
I hope I can win by bloodlust too!
Maybe a big fiesta in ol´ Germany?

Citys: 39 (one lost this round to the egyptians )
Research: Banking
Research race: Far behind pink, purple and blue, even with orange (Maya, former egyptian slaves and ) and my only friend violett.
War: All but the violett.
Progress: Fast reasearch to hunt the AI, maybe I can catch them in 750 AD?

So long
JP