View Poll Results: Is "Jungle Ball" OT?
Yes 5 62.50%
No 3 37.50%
Not if it involves bananas 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 2, 2002, 21:16   #1
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The fine line between roleplaying and OT/spam
Roleplaying is a significant part of the civ3 demogame. At first there were newspapers and other roleplaying things directly related to the game itself. Next came the $minigame, an economic side of the game, which, while not affecting the game itself in any way and being in other ways independent, was (and is) still pretty closely related to the game. However, there is now a "Jungle Ball" (Fantasy Football) League. When does roleplaying become OT and considered spam if posted anywhere else? I think that it is OT, but some people there disagree? Thoughts (especially from moderaters)?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old September 2, 2002, 21:25   #2
Tuberski

Local Time: 02:23
Since it doesn't affect the game they are playing it should be OT.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 2, 2002, 21:30   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

The thread in question has been moved to the OTF where it belongs... The same place as all the other Apolyton Fanatasy League Threads
Old September 2, 2002, 21:33   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:23
Looks Apolyton/Community to me.
Old September 2, 2002, 21:43   #5
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Looks Apolyton/Community to me.
Nahhh... While I understand your POV, it is an established practice for ALL the Sports Fantasy Leagues to post in the OTF. Unlike some sites that have specific Sports Forums, Apolyton doesn't. So the OTF is the appropriate place for them. If the league in question wants to post their results in the Democracy game Newspaper, that's fine... but discussion on their league should continue in the OTF. I happen to be in many of the Fantasy Leagues, and all the theads are in the OTF.
Their league is no different
Old September 2, 2002, 21:47   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:23
Actually, the misunderstanding was mine.

I thought you meant you wanted to move this thread to OTF, and I was pointing out that it was still in the Community forum. I've since been to the OTF and seen the thread you were talking about moved there. This made me realise my mistake, and I was hoping to edit out my previous comment before someone noticed.
Old September 2, 2002, 21:51   #7
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
This made me realise my mistake, and I was hoping to edit out my previous comment before someone noticed.
Bummer...

Too bad I was paying attention
Old September 2, 2002, 23:44   #8
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
A good rule of thumb: if it's on the Stories & Diplomacy thread, then it's roleplaying; if it's on the OTF, then it's spam.
Old September 3, 2002, 00:06   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 09:23
Doh, a very simple rule is to post everything in OT that you can't determine where else it could belong. A more extreme rule would be to post it in the Dinosaurs group for +1.