Old September 4, 2002, 14:38   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Extrapack, part 100: The LAST open issues
I don't mean we should stop discussion in the other threads, but here you can find what still has not been done yet and I really need your help with this:

UUs:
The Sun Warrior is not ideal either, but I'd still release the game with the unchanged unit, the same applies to the Woad Warrior. All other units are ready and OK.

Civilopedia entries:
Arabs and Vikings are not ready yet
Most units still wait for their descriptions, except for the Hussar, Kobukson, Quinquireme, Drakkar and Janissary.

Diplomacy Text:
The Diplomacy text needs some improvement. It's weird, when Isabella the Catholic thanks her "gods" or when Vikings talk about their "peace keeping forces...
I've "personalized" the text for the Mongols and Mayas until now, but it's lot of work.

I'd need other people doing the same for other Civs.

The next post contains everything I've changed for the Mongols.

Last edited by Wernazuma III; September 13, 2002 at 16:08.
Old September 4, 2002, 14:39   #2
Wernazuma III
Emperor

I, $AI0, of $CIVNAME1, scourge of God, greet you,vassal-to-be.

I am $AI4, leader of the mighty $CIVADJ7. Our great nation doesn't simply demand tribute from poor peoples like you. In our greatness we offer a counter-gift to your tribute.

There's no way to resist the power of the glorious $CIVADJ7 hordes. Pay tribute and your cities will be spared !
Tributes are the just payment for the benefits every people receives from $AI5, ruler of $CIVNAME6. Does your people want to see our gratefulness alive?
$PLAYER0, give us what we demand or watch your wives being abused and your children's heads pinned to the gates of your cities!

Your gift is accepted, $PLAYER0.
The $CIVADJ4 are known to be grateful towards all vassals who pay their tribute in time. $PLAYER0, you may go now.
$PLAYER0, you can prepare everything for our next visit already!

Unfortunately our army is currently pillaging other corners of the earth, so we'll spare you for the moment.
$PLAYER0, you get an extension for paying your tributes one more time. But don't let $AI4 wait too long.
We will destroy your pathetic towns sometime, when you least expect it and no one will survive!

$AI3 greets you, honorable $PLAYER0! This war is waging too long already and the $CIVNAME4 are tired.We seek nothing more than simple peace.
Ha, $PLAYER0, you're a tough nut to crack! We 've enjoyed competeing with a worthy enemy.
$PLAYER0, war with you is far too boring to continue it! Accept the peace or you'll be squashed like insects under the hoofs of our horses!

Peace is a precious gift in uncertain times, honorable $PLAYER0. The $CIVADJ6 offer you firm friendship for the future.
Come here, $PLAYER0, take some kumys with me, accept this sincere offer of friendship of $AI3 and renew our peaceful relations.
Our armies are needed elsewhere, so we grant you the possibility to remain in peace with us.

$PLAYER0, I'm inclined to think that your troops in our territories are nomadic herdsmen who got off track. The $CIVADJ6 understand this but demand that your people get back to their own pastures.
Our scouts have noticed $CIVADJ2 troops entered our lands Be sure that we will defend our pastures without asking many questions.
Get back on the shortest way, $PLAYER0!! Our hordes already follow their pace, and they're eager to cut off your heads.

Thank you, $PLAYER0. Not more and not less we expected from a loyal vassal.
A wise decision. $CIVADJ6 herdsmenare quick with their bows, you know.
You don't have the slightest clue how close your troops were to complete destruction!

This war has no winner. The $CIVADJ7 are pleased that the people of $CIVNAME1 see it the same way.
$PLAYER0, these are our demands for a possible peace between our peoples.
The $CIVADJ7 like paying tributaries more than ruined cities. The $CIVADJ7 will spare the $CIVADJ2 cities if you can come up with $GET3.

Of course you can have peace, $PLAYER0. The $CIVADJ7 are happy to keep their pastures.
Peace already? The war hasn't really started yet! But well, there are other battlefields in other corners of the world.
Hmmm. Come to think of it, your tiny civilization has little that we want. So we'll agree to peace. Until you get something worth fighting over.

In the end, we're all only food for the wolves and vultures. We do not fear death.
Come on, this is the funny part! You don't have any honor in your body!
Take a close look at your warriors, it's the last time you see them!

You made me laugh so much that I was playing one second with the thought to say yes. You cowards will see what a real war is!
You $CIVADJ2 cowards will have time to be afraid at the place where your forefathers dwell.
This war will end when the last stone of your last city has fallen.

$PLAYER0, together we will rule the plains. Join us as equal brothers and together we will rule the world!
We hope that the $CIVADJ2 Gods bless this reunion, $PLAYER0 and show you that the $CIVADJ6 are worthy allies.
You need the protection of the $CIVADJ6, $PLAYER0. If you accept this treaty of vassality, we will ensure your peaceful lives.

The $CIVADJ6 never liked borders. Let us share our pastures, my friend and grant each other the right of free passage!
Beyond your borders, there are peoples who are ready for a visit of $CIVADJ5 hordes. Will you clear our path and sign a right of passage agreement, $PLAYER0?
We cannot accept your border guards preventing our herds from moving freely as it is the right of nomads. Sign this right of pasage treaty, $PLAYER0, or we will clear the path ourselves.

The evil $CIVNOUN4 are attacking us, oh mighty $PLAYER0. Can you, the world's greatest leader watch such injustice?
The $CIVADJ8 are at war with $CIVNAME3. $AI5, scourge of God, offers you an alliance, will you agree?
$AI5 calls for the assistance of his $CIVADJ2 vassals. You'd better join our efforts in destroying $CIVNAME3.

$PLAYER0, if you join our embargo against $CIVNAME3 and we can sit together watching them eating their shoes and have a good laugh.
Sometimes warriors need a rest any yet an enemy got to be punished. Will you join our embargo against $CIVNAME3, $PLAYER0?
Stop trading with our enemies, $PLAYER0 and stop insulting the mighty $CIVADJ6 people!

Hello, $PLAYER0, I hope you've already got a few $CIVADJ4 "private" slaves in your yurt. What can I do for you?
The $CIVADJ8 people greets its brave ally $CIVNAME1. I hope you come with the head of a $CIVADJ4 general as gift for me.
The $CIVADJ8 people greet you! Like a mighty storm we will rain destruction on our foe, $CIVNAME3.

Mighty $AI3 greets you, honorable $PLAYER0. Come, drink some kumys with me and talk.
$AI3, scourge of God, greets its vassals from $CIVNAME1. What is the reason for your audience?
You are welcome, but please be brief, I've got a ...err... weak stomach today, you know.

Come in my yurt, $PLAYER0 and join the $CIVADJ6 efforts to return to peace!
Welcome, $PLAYER0. Come, let us end this pointless conflict and return to our herds.
$PLAYER0, are you talking to me? Are YOU talking to me?
$CIVNAME1's cities will lie in ruins soon. Do you come pleading for peace, $PLAYER0?
Why have you come, $PLAYER0? Our people are at war.
The $CIVADJ6 people will not rest until $CIVNAME5 is destroyed. Have you come to plea for mercy?
$CIVNAME5 greets you, dead man walking.
Your destiny as eternal slaves of mighty $CIVNAME5 is almost fulfilled. What do you have to say to your master, $PLAYER0?
You'd better be brief. for your own sake. While we are talking, many $CIVADJ2 people are being killed by $CIVADJ6 hordes.

$CIVNAME5 helps its brothers in need, $PLAYER0, but don't try to exploit our kindness.
Here you have $GET3 as you request. We don't do this because of cowardice, we just feel sorry for your pathetic civilization.
Lucky you, that our forces at your border have been called to fight against other enemies. We will give you $GET3 for now, but you'll see the price when our hordes return from battle.

Of course. They were just, uh, looking around. They will return leave soon.
Uh uh, borders, you non-nomads are really weirdos, but OK, we're gone already.
Har, har, you fear these few men, $PLAYER0? You should come to see a REAL $CIVADJ5 army. We will grant your request. For now!

Uh, those generals can't abandon their nomadic customs it seems. We apologize deeply and of course withdraw.
My mistake. I thought the border started at the next hill. However, we leave at once. Sorry for the distress.
We are already gone, don't worry.
Old September 5, 2002, 19:00   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Re: Extrapack, part 100: The LAST open issues
Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Arabs, Turks, Vikings and Koreans are not ready yet
Actually, I stopped working on the Turkish history thingie because I saw you already had that on your website - what's wrong with that one? (It's not how I would have done it but it's good enough)

(BTW, if I were you I would get rid of the Palestinian flag for the Arabs: Arabs and Palestinians are two VERY different groups (there is some overlap but no more than that) - use Saudi Arabia instead)
Old September 5, 2002, 19:06   #4
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 08:28
I don't know whose it is, but that's not the palestinian flag
Old September 5, 2002, 20:43   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

D'oh! You're right, the order of the stripes is messed up. But it almost makes me wonder if it's a real flag at all then? AFAIK all flags of similar (pan-Arab) background always have white in the middle - in fact, aside from a few former-Soviet republics, I can't think of any triband from anywhere in the world that has white anywhere else than in the middle... Am I overlooking something here?

Last edited by Locutus; September 5, 2002 at 20:52.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:26   #6
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 02:28
yeah, sorry about taking so long with that stuff. now that i'm off work for a week, i'll be able to finish it up.
Old September 6, 2002, 12:16   #7
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
D'oh! You're right, the order of the stripes is messed up. But it almost makes me wonder if it's a real flag at all then? AFAIK all flags of similar (pan-Arab) background always have white in the middle - in fact, aside from a few former-Soviet republics, I can't think of any triband from anywhere in the world that has white anywhere else than in the middle... Am I overlooking something here?
Locutus: It's the flag of the Pan-Arabic-League or something similar, that's why I used it.

And about the Turks. I'll edit this out and use the description we already have.
Old September 7, 2002, 14:57   #8
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Wernazuma have you considered asking sween32 if you could use his Incan leaderhead in the x-pack?
It looks great!
take a look:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=60080

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 7, 2002, 16:29   #9
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Yes, I will be using his leaderhead in the ExtraPack, but you remind me that I promised him to give him a Civilopedia-entry for the Incas.
Old September 8, 2002, 03:02   #10
Locutus
Deity

Actually, the Arab League flag looks like this...
Old September 8, 2002, 05:59   #11
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Then it was something other. But anyhow, the flag is amazing. I will replace the old one!
Old September 8, 2002, 14:21   #12
Wernazuma III
Emperor

I've done the Civilopedia entries for Drakkar and Quinquireme, but I just did it from memory. Any criticism?

#PRTO_Drakkar
^
^
^The Viking [Drakkar] is a highly maneuverable ship. It replaces the $LINK. It may safely traverse
$LINK and $LINK squares.
If it ends a turn in an $LINK square, it is in danger of sinking.
#DESC_PRTO_Drakkar
^
^
^The [Drakkar] or Longboat, as it has been called by its enemies, was the major tools the Vikings used in their voyages and raids.
They were small but highly maneuverable sailing ships, superior to any other ship of the era. It especially combined two virtues.
It was small enough to allow travels on rivers, which gave the Vikings the possibility to make completely unpredictable raids deep
into the land. On the other hand side, the ship was very suitable for voyages far from the coasts, which enabled the Viking to settle
Iceland and Greenland and for a short time even to reach the coasts of Labrador and Newfoundland.

#PRTO_Quinquireme
^
^
^Phoenician [Quinquiremes] are heavy galleys who can withstand most attacks by other galleys.
#DESC_PRTO_Quinquireme
^
^
^ The [Quinquireme] was the endproduct of the development of naval warfare in the Mediterranean in hellenistic
times. As the ships became more and more equipped with heavy artillery, more stable ships became an advantage
in comparison to the faster, but less armored Triremes. The large size of the ships also enabled a high cargo capacity
or to transport troops across the sea. The [Quinquireme] was the backbone of the Carthaginian fleet which completely
controlled the western part of the Mediterranean. It was their major advantage against the Romans in the First Punic
War, but eventually, the Romans seized a Carthaginian [Quinquireme] and built a fleet by their own.
Old September 8, 2002, 15:34   #13
Hagbart
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
I've done the Civilopedia entries for Drakkar and Quinquireme, but I just did it from memory. Any criticism?

#PRTO_Drakkar
^
^
^The Viking [Drakkar] is a highly maneuverable ship. It replaces the $LINK. It may safely traverse
$LINK and $LINK squares.
If it ends a turn in an $LINK square, it is in danger of sinking.
#DESC_PRTO_Drakkar
^
^
^The [Drakkar] or Longboat, as it has been called by its enemies, was the major tools the Vikings used in their voyages and raids.
They were small but highly maneuverable sailing ships, superior to any other ship of the era. It especially combined two virtues.
It was small enough to allow travels on rivers, which gave the Vikings the possibility to make completely unpredictable raids deep
into the land. On the other hand side, the ship was very suitable for voyages far from the coasts, which enabled the Viking to settle
Iceland and Greenland and for a short time even to reach the coasts of Labrador and Newfoundland.
Hi Wernazuma, I have some criticism as you requested. I have edited your text with my changes, so it should be the following:

The [Drakkar] or Longboat, as it is also known as, was the advanced ship the Vikings used in their voyages and raids.
Drakkars were strong, lightweight and highly maneuverable ships, equipped with both sails and oars, superior to any other ships of the era. Drakkars especially combined two virtues:
The shallow draught of these ships allowed travels far inland by rivers and streams, which gave the Vikings the ability to make completely unpredictable raids, striking and moving on before local forces could muster. On the other hand side, the ships were very suitable for voyages far from the coasts, which enabled the Vikings to settle Iceland and Greenland and for a short time even to reach the coasts of Labrador and Newfoundland.
Crews of about 25 - 60 men would have been common, seated on benches on open decks, although the largest ships could have carried as many as 100 or more.

Old September 8, 2002, 15:43   #14
Hagbart
Prince

I know nothing about the Quinquiremes, but what you have written about them looks good!

Since the QQs were so heavily armed you could give them a 2 in defend instead of the Tiremes' 1.

Old September 8, 2002, 17:32   #15
Wernazuma III
Emperor

I've changed the Drakkar entry.

BTW: You just found a bug in the ExtraPack
I actually always wanted to make them +1 def.!
Old September 9, 2002, 12:30   #16
Hagbart
Prince

So, Wernazuma when do you think you have rooted out the bugs and finished the x-pack so it is ready for the grand release?

You shouldn't hurry it too much though - we don't want to see a beta release.

Old September 9, 2002, 16:18   #17
Antxon
Spanish Civers
King

I downloaded the Extra pack and installed it. As I'm a spaniard, I started to play against random opponents. After a while I was shown an 'Error loading file ...Quinquireme.ini'. I've searched for this file, but was unable to find it, as well as other UU files. Where can I find those files?. The pack is not completed yet?.
BTW, is it Quinquireme or quinquerreme?. We, with latin languages, use quinquerreme.
Old September 12, 2002, 15:37   #18
Q Classic
Emperor

wernazuma: i have the first twenty-five korean cities properly romanized.

the rest are "ready", but some of them i'm not so sure about yet.
Old September 12, 2002, 16:54   #19
Q Classic
Emperor

history:

#RACE_Koreans
^The Koreans are $LINK< benefit1 and benefit2=GCON_Strengths>. They start the game with
$LINK and $LINK and build
$LINK instead of $LINK.
^
^ Korean legend holds that the nation of Korea was founded by Tangun, a wise king born of a woman and a god who came down from heaven and taught the Korean people 360 useful trades. Recent archeological evidence however, points to the origin of the Korean people some six hundred thousand years ago, with the beginnings of civilization centered around Pyeongyang starting at around 2333 BCE. This kingdom, known as Ko-Chosun, lasted for the next two millenia, until 57 BCE, when the Three Kingdoms period started.
^ The Three Kingdoms period was a tummultuous time in which three rival Korean nations, Silla (57 BCE - 676
CE), Paekche (18 BCE - 660 CE), and Koguryo (37 BCE - 668 CE) vied for power and control of the peninsula.
Although Silla was the oldest, it was Koguryo that was the first to mature into a viable kingdom. Centered
around the Yalu River, this militaristic nation conquered many tribes and drove the Chinese out of Manchuria,
claiming it as their own. Koguryo's military campaign, in fact, led directly to the founding of another rival
state, Paekche, around modern day Seoul. A peaceful nation, the people of Paekche were slowly driven southward by Koguryo, until it dominated the southwestern part of the peninsula, when it became a prosperous state, trading extensively with China from across the Yellow Sea. Silla, the third and in the beginning, the weakest of the three kingdoms, arose in the southeastern part of the peninsula and was the last to incorporate foreign ideals and notions into its society, drawing most of its strength from Buddhist teachings and its unique Hwarang (Flower of Youth) Corps. By the seventh century CE, however, Silla had allied itself with Tang China and conquered its neighboring Korean kingdoms. Tang China, however, betrayed Silla, and attempted to take the territories of Koguryo and Paekche as its own. Silla, however, was able to repel China's advances in the peninsula, and unified Korea under its banner. However, refugees from the fallen Koguryo kingdom moved northwards into Manchuria and formed another Korean kingdom, known as Parhae (698 CE - 10th Century CE).
^ This period, the northern and southern kingdoms tended to be at peace most of the time. Unified Silla (676 CE - 918 CE) was more powerful, enjoying peace and prosperity. Buddhist scholars traveled to China and India to study, and later transmitted the knowledge to Ancient Japan, helping to form that nations culture. At its height, Silla's capital of Gyongju had over one million residents and boasted royal palaces and ornate Buddhist temples. By the 10th Century, however, both Silla and Parhae were suffering troubles from without and within. Parhae was overrrun by the Khitan, while Silla succumbed to internal revolt, leading to the founding of the Koryo kingdom (918 CE - 1392 CE).
^ The founder of Koryo was Taejo (Wang Kon), a general who led a successful revolt in Unified Silla. Selecting Songdo (modern-day Kaesong) as his capital, and declaring Buddhism to be the state religion, the Koryo dynasty saw
#DESC_RACE_Koreans
^
^
^a blossoming of technology as Korean potters developed fine celadon, prized throughout East Asia, and the development of the world's first moveable metal type in 1234. BUddhist monks also began to carve over eighty thousand wooden blocks with the entire Buddhist Canon, which survive to this day as the Tripitaka Koreana at the Haeinsa Temple. Unfortunately, towards the end of Koryo rule, the kingdom was torn with internal conflict between religious leaders, officials, and military officers, and was invaded and occupied by Mongols for nearly a century.
^ In 1392 CE, the Choson (also known as Yi) kingdom was founded around Hanyang (modern-day Seoul). Replacing Buddhist philosophy with Confucianism, Choson leaders were able to put in place a civil service examination system that recruited from the populace civil officials. Choson society also placed a great emphasis on academic learning. The most important ruler of Choson was King Sejong (1418 CE - 1450 CE), whose rule included a blossoming and inclusion of progressive ideas in the arts, sciences, and social structure. During his reign, the Korean alphabet, Hangul, was commissioned and developed. Between 1592 and 1598 CE, Korea suffered under the invasions of Hideyoshi. It was during this time a great Korean hero, Yi Sun Shin, developed the world's first ironclads, the Kobukson, which played a critical part in crippling and defeating the Japanese forces. Afterwards, however, until its fall in 1910, Choson began to stagnate.
^ In 1910, Korea entered the darkest moment in its history as Japanese forces successfully occupied the Korean nation. Brutally destroying Korean buildings and institutions, Japan tried to assimilate Koreans as second-class citizens in the Japanese Empire. Japan also sought to industrialize the northern part of Korea. The first major Korean independence movement began on 1 March 1919, but was mainly unsuccessful in driving out the Japanese.
^ Modern Korean history begins in 1945, after Japan's defeat in WW2. Divided along the 38th Parallel, Korea was occupied by American forces to the south and Soviet forces in the north. Although originally both the US and the USSR sought reunification, no such event would occur, as both nations formed their own governments in 1948. In 1950, the Communist North invaded South Korea in what was to become the first--and last--war to be fought under the UN banner. Lasting 3 years, the war ended without a clear victor, and was soon forgotten by most of the Western world.
^ Until the mid-60s, North Koreans benefited from a higher standard of living than their southern counterparts. The leadership of Pak Chung-hee, however, helped propel the then-third-world agrarian South into an export-driven industrial and manfacturing developing nation. In the span of 60 years, South Korea has gone from having a GDP less than some African nations to having the 13th largest economy and technologically advanced countries in the world.
^ Today, it remains a fervent hope that a peaceful reunification of the Koreas can occur. Few can forget the proud moment at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games when both nations walked out, hand in hand, as one.

Last edited by Q Classic; September 12, 2002 at 17:01.
Old September 13, 2002, 22:13   #20
JoshHam
Settler

Local Time: 07:28
antxon, you have to download the units one by one of this website (i think)
Old September 14, 2002, 02:09   #21
Wernazuma III
Emperor

No, actually not. But still it's weird, because so far nobody had problems and I can't find a bug in the .ini file.
Old September 14, 2002, 02:20   #22
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Antxon: No encontraste "units.zip" en la página que te mandé la otra vez?
Old September 14, 2002, 17:21   #23
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 03:28
how much longer do you think it will take to complete all of this, W3?
Old September 14, 2002, 18:00   #24
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Depends on who helps me. I really hope I will have everything ready until end of September, but who knows. Writing entries for the UUs would really be helpful!
Old September 16, 2002, 12:45   #25
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 03:28
which UUs need entries? how long must they be? i would be glad to help this way!
Old September 16, 2002, 13:32   #26
Hagbart
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
which UUs need entries? how long must they be? i would be glad to help this way!
To quote Wernazuma:
"Most units still wait for their descriptions, except for the Hussar, Kobukson, Quinquireme, Drakkar and Janissary"

The lenght should probably be the same as the Drakkar or Quinquireme, posted earlier in this thread..

Old September 24, 2002, 15:05   #27
Saphire Hawk
Settler

Local Time: 07:28
I'm sorry, but I must ask why you made the arabs have a replacement for the horseman, an ancient age unit, when the Arabs golden age was really in the early to mid middle ages. It was during this time that they expanded al throughout the middle east and africa. If you have time, I'd advise you to rethink this.

Last edited by Saphire Hawk; October 13, 2002 at 10:06.