Old September 9, 2002, 16:20   #31
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by XOR
I'm not trying to diplowin, maybe I'll try it out at my current game
I just want to know how to get the AI attitude in better towards me because it seems to dramatically affect their likelyhood of doing things for me or against me. When they are fourious towards me it seems impossible to get them to join in a 20 turn crusade against a third civ. I have done many of the things I read here and I am getting a few civs to be more agreable towards me, they are charging me a rather low price for alliances so I think I'll destroy the ones that dislike me and try the UN for once...
I've misunderstood the victory type you were going for, XOR - I apologise. It seems that your original question has been answered on the thread - in terms of improving attitide but like Catt said, your reputation will be poor, if not atrocious with that play-style, and there'll be a price. It would be good if the player could actually see what their reputation was.

You must surely expect to face some 'blowback' from an aggressive foreign policy - in terms of relationships with the remaining civs, and quite right too. Building and not starting wars might be "boring" to many players, but doesn't bashing get boring if it's too easy?

Let us know how the UN vote goes

BTW - what level do you play at?
Old September 10, 2002, 00:08   #32
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 00:32
My experience is that if you declared wars multiple times against someone, you will never get a chance at Diplo win. In one Deity game, I was very fortunate to have the UN built. Later I tried to hold vote just for fun and was soundly beaten by another civ.
Old September 16, 2002, 01:40   #33
Txurce
Prince

Local Time: 07:32
I've been playing with small civs lately - no choice for much of the game on Deity! - and have realized that the AI tends to leave the irrelevant civs alone, as long as they pay reasonable tribute. (I am particularly referring to the period after the initial border contact, when many civs engage in warfare.) During this time, their attitude toward me tilts toward annoyed, which I see as an expression of my lowly status.

Vulture makes a point about attitudes turning for the worse after an alliance expires, no matter how honorably. I think something else is also going on, once the game reaches its rough midpoint. For some reason, civs eventually quit trading tech to me for gpt, even though I have broken no agreements. One possibility is that a trade arrangement is broken because war breaks the trade route. Even though this is not a conscious act on my part - I remain at peace with the civ I was trading with - the overall AI response seems to be that I can't be trusted, on a level with stabbing someone in the back.

To echo Arrian's point about alliances and war, I have seen the Aztecs sail straight for me, furious. I asked for an MPP, and they agreed, not even charging me one gold. Then they landed and declared war.
Old September 24, 2002, 15:24   #34
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
One subtlety: All of the above only applies if your prior actions are KNOWN. What I call the Arrian Deception is doing baaaad things to AI civs on your home continent, but destroying them before they can ever tell anyone else. Mucho satisfying.
A bump for this excellent thread. Good stuff in here.

The Arrian Deception is a truely devilish military move - so much so that I've immortalised it in a movie poster.

This thread in the OTF will explain my inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	arriandeception.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	25517  
Old September 24, 2002, 17:06   #35
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:32
Muwahaha!

-Arrian, the deceiver

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.