Old September 7, 2002, 18:19   #1
Trex
Settler

Local Time: 07:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ3's Realism
Now ... i love civ i can play it for hours on end ...

But The Realism well lack of Realism Some times Spolis it

EG

My Sub V Frigate .. Frigate won .. how can something outa wood beat something under the water

Muscketmen V Spearmen One is Long range one is hand to hand combat .. 1 bullet should kill the spear men ...

F-15 V Spitfire ummm Duh

Civ 3s a Great game dont get me wrong but i whould love just a bit More Realism in there so if u got a say Subs Before ya Oponeat then ya whould rule the sea but in the Currant game state if hes got 5 frigates or what ever ships .. hes gonna rape your $200 doller Sub

Just dont make sense Really does it ?

TreX
Old September 7, 2002, 18:36   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 01:38
Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:
Originally posted by Trex

My Sub V Frigate .. Frigate won .. how can something outa wood beat something under the water
Easily, the sub fires a torpedo, it misses. The frigate (which by now has been refitted with depth charges) now knows the location of the sub, launches its depth charges and destroys the sub.

Quote:
Muscketmen V Spearmen One is Long range one is hand to hand combat .. 1 bullet should kill the spear men ...
Realizing that the icons on the screen represent more than one unit: a group of spearmen hold their ground away from the musketmen with their shields protecting them from the weak velocity bullets. Another group of spearmen circle around and ambush the musketmen from behind. As the musketmen laboriously try to load and aim thier weapons the spearmen thrust their spears into the hearts of their enemies.

Quote:
F-15 V Spitfire ummm Duh
If the propeller fighter is able to evade detection by the F-15 (not hard given its small radar signature) it could very conceivably attack the F-15 from below ripping through the F-15 fuselage with cannon fire - which is completely capably of destroying any fighter out there.

Happy Civving.
Old September 7, 2002, 18:38   #3
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 02:38
Try my mod: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=61100
If you don't want to play the scenario, import the rules to a new map. (Best to make it huge as the movement rates have been adjusted for the huge map.) You will find the A/D/M settings are a little more realistic, although occasionally you will find a really tough old unit that will beat-up a more modern unit - but never defeat it.
Old September 7, 2002, 18:39   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:38
Trex, welkom on Poly, but

NOOOOOOOOoooooooo, not again, please

sorry man, check out some other threads about this.

(is it possible to paste this line under one of the function keys pffff)?
Old September 7, 2002, 18:40   #5
Trex
Settler

Speaking about Huge maps .. im runing a Top Spec Pc ... but on Huge Map it can take up to 10 min for a go to pass once all the civs are in full swing ..any one else have that prob any way to speed it up ?
Old September 7, 2002, 18:41   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:38
See my first post
Old September 7, 2002, 19:09   #7
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 03:38
Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:

F-15 V Spitfire ummm Duh
Here are some real events from history:
Nuclear Submarine misfires a torpedo and explodes (Kursk).
Spearmen defeat Riflemen (Isandlwana).
B2b Bomber crashes in Indian Ocean after mission over Afghanistan. The crew is rescued, but the $250,000,000 in shield production is lost.

Keep in mind that turns take at least a year, so there are many strategic and tactical decisions during the period. For instance, they could bribe a guard, sneak onto the enemy base, and blow up the secret weapon. Or attack them when they are hungover. Or hubris. Or friendly fire. Or incompetence. Or treason.

War is a dangerous and chaotic business. The price of Victory is always paid in blood.
Old September 7, 2002, 19:20   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Re: Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver

Realizing that the icons on the screen represent more than one unit: a group of spearmen hold their ground away from the musketmen with their shields protecting them from the weak velocity bullets. Another group of spearmen circle around and ambush the musketmen from behind. As the musketmen laboriously try to load and aim thier weapons the spearmen thrust their spears into the hearts of their enemies.
I do not have a huge problem with some of this, but I beg you do not trot out the ICON crap. Let's just accept some silly stuff and let it go at that. I mean if the spearmen are a 1000, so are the gunners, making it much harder to take than the one on one.
I do think that it could be improved with many mechanism, but it does not seem as bad as it was before the patches.
Old September 7, 2002, 19:34   #9
HazieDaVampire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel
The price of Victory is always paid in blood.
Not if we arm everybody with stunguns! Then its just alot of pain, a little spasm. Then a POW camp for the losers!
"You burned my balls!"
Old September 7, 2002, 19:38   #10
HazieDaVampire
King

oh, and to that other post!
Battleships nock around alone, or maby in pairs. Frigates nock around in a fleet most of the time!

one 'unit' in the modern age would be say, 5 spec ops dudes, 4-5 tanks. in anciant area them swordsmen would be in a Legion or Chapter!
Old September 7, 2002, 19:38   #11
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

As has been said, this is a civ-game, not a wargame. You actually go from Spearmen to Modern Armor (as has been said), and therefore, if someone suddenly gets a new tech and upgrades, someone who doesn't yet have that tech has to have some chance to beat them. If they didn't, would the game be any fun?
Old September 7, 2002, 20:29   #12
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Spearmen defeat Riflemen (Isandlwana).
I had to do somthing about the Impi, so I made them a Rifleman with an extra movement point.

Quote:
B2b Bomber crashes in Indian Ocean after mission over Afghanistan. The crew is rescued, but the $250,000,000 in shield production is lost.
I don't think a B2b is $250 Billion, just $2 Billion. Unless someone provides an article that contradicts this.
Old September 7, 2002, 20:31   #13
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
As has been said, this is a civ-game, not a wargame. You actually go from Spearmen to Modern Armor (as has been said), and therefore, if someone suddenly gets a new tech and upgrades, someone who doesn't yet have that tech has to have some chance to beat them. If they didn't, would the game be any fun?
In one game, I didn't have horse, saltpeter, iron, and oil... only coal. Thank GOD my spearmen killed those tanks.
Old September 7, 2002, 20:34   #14
Keeper of Hell
Chieftain

Re: Re: Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

I had to do somthing about the Impi, so I made them a Rifleman with an extra movement point.

I don't think a B2b is $250 Billion, just $2 Billion. Unless someone provides an article that contradicts this.
250,000,000 does not equal 2.5 billion... it's 2.5 million.
Old September 7, 2002, 20:36   #15
Thrawn05
King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:
Originally posted by Keeper of Hell

Damn Zeros, thanks.

But a B2 Bomber still costs $2 Billion a peice.
Old September 7, 2002, 20:47   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Speaking about Huge maps .. im runing a Top Spec Pc ... but on Huge Map it can take up to 10 min for a go to pass once all the civs are in full swing ..any one else have that prob any way to speed it up ?
Turn off the animations and troop movement.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 7, 2002, 20:48   #17
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:
Originally posted by Keeper of Hell

Umm, $250 million?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 7, 2002, 21:18   #18
Zachriel
King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:
Damn Zeros, thanks.

Thanks for the, um, correction. It is $2 billion. That's still a lot of shields.

http://www.cowan70.freeserve.co.uk/s...ircraft/b2.htm
Old September 7, 2002, 21:29   #19
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

He said 250 million, not 2.5 million, nor 250 billion.

But yes, Thrawn is right, each is about 2 billion. Hope they had insurance.
Old September 7, 2002, 22:11   #20
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I heard that said many time and I do not see why they should have any chance. In history, many times a new tech made its owner the kng of the world, until others caught up. While they lagged behind, they were enslaved or what ever the winners felt like doing, that is the way it is. If the Human is behind, they are able to cope with tactics, if the AI falls behind, it sure seems like fun to me to punish them.
Old September 8, 2002, 00:10   #21
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 01:38
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:
Allthough it was a B1 that crashed off Diego Garcia, none of the B2s have been lost.
Old September 8, 2002, 01:09   #22
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'm tired of this debate. It has been going on for over 10 freaking years.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old September 8, 2002, 01:24   #23
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I heard that said many time and I do not see why they should have any chance. In history, many times a new tech made its owner the kng of the world, until others caught up. While they lagged behind, they were enslaved or what ever the winners felt like doing, that is the way it is. If the Human is behind, they are able to cope with tactics, if the AI falls behind, it sure seems like fun to me to punish them.
Yes, but in Civ if you get that kind of advantage the game ends. It's too easy to dominate as it is, making it even easier in that manner would make the game broken. If there was some way for empires to rise and fall, then I would agree with you. However, with Civ's gameplay mechanics, if you lose, you're toast, and if you win, you're basically in a dominant position until 2050 AD.
Old September 8, 2002, 01:53   #24
vmxa1
Deity

Those are two seperate issues and should be dealt with. Combat is one and if corrected would not change the other aspect. It could worsen it, but the rise and fall would exist in any event. I doubt it would do much as those types of battles are seldom a factor. I say that, as the older units lose most of the time anyway. It would only alleviate some of the angst some players felt over them, not dramatically change the out come of the game. I really don't understand your last sentence, it is a non sequitur or better yet axiomatic.
Old September 8, 2002, 06:30   #25
Coracle
Prince

Man, even I don't want to get into this.

FACT: if you do not MOD THE GAME you will have crazy unrealistic things happening regularly.

So MOD IT, or don't play it.
Old September 8, 2002, 07:43   #26
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Man, even I don't want to get into this.

FACT: if you do not MOD THE GAME you will have crazy unrealistic things happening regularly.

So MOD IT, or don't play it.

Hey, Coracle, haven't seen ya around for quite some time... we've been missing you in several threads recently.

What happened? Finally got tired? Not playing anymore? Successfully modded out culture flipping? Or did you buy the Civ3 CD from the guy that insisted on he had never seen a culture flip in his (loooong) Civ3 carrer?

Anyway, this post of yours... this is the way to stop being a legendary figure here...
Old September 8, 2002, 07:48   #27
Zachriel
King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
Allthough it was a B1 that crashed off Diego Garcia, none of the B2s have been lost.
Aha! The B1B, which cost about $280,000,000 each.
http://home.isoa.net/~nitetrax/b1bomber.htm

Well, in any case, the point was that the U.S. lost a high-tech flying machine fighting a militia force without much of an airforce, antiaircraft, or missiles.

PS. I do apologize for the inaccuracy of my original post (B2 instead of B1), and the resultant veering from the thread topic into how many zeros in a billion, and other issues of arithmetic. Thanks Carver for clearing that up.
Old September 8, 2002, 20:32   #28
Thrawn05
King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civ3's Realism
Quote:

Aha! The B1B, which cost about $280,000,000 each.
http://home.isoa.net/~nitetrax/b1bomber.htm

Well, in any case, the point was that the U.S. lost a high-tech flying machine fighting a militia force without much of an airforce, antiaircraft, or missiles.

PS. I do apologize for the inaccuracy of my original post (B2 instead of B1), and the resultant veering from the thread topic into how many zeros in a billion, and other issues of arithmetic. Thanks Carver for clearing that up.

You have been forgiven... this time.

Now, if only we can get that B2 bomber to go from the US to Afgan. on Marla's world map.
Old September 9, 2002, 00:18   #29
Chronus
Prince

Quote:
Anyway, this post of yours... this is the way to stop being a legendary figure here...

I have to admit . . . I did a double take on the name myself.