Old September 8, 2002, 11:31   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 07:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Candle'Bre is a dream. An idea.

The notion that a bunch of creative, passionate, dedicated people can come together, in the open....in full view of everybody, kick ideas around, create, plan, tinker, work-at, and eventually end up with a game that's like nothing else out there.

Oh...it has a great many things in common with lots of other games out there. It's a 4x-style game (in the same vein as Civ, for example), it's set in a fantasy setting (a la "MOM"), it's got a provincially centered view, rather than a city-centric view (in the same style as EU), but there are differences as well. Things that set the project apart.

First and foremost, Candle'Bre is not a re-make of any other game. We've headed off in our own direction, crafting....not making, but *crafting* every detail of the fantasy world we're creating. Their customs, laws, beliefs, gods....all different. All unique to Candle'Bre.

Candle'Bre is indeed a 4x-style game, but it's also a game that will come built in with its own deep history....it's own rich, vibrant story threaded through the very fabric of the game, and players delving *into* the game will be able to add their own stories to that mix....their own heroic tales will become part of the ever-expanding fabric.

So....that's Candle'Bre....or at least the tip of that particular iceberg....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old September 9, 2002, 02:43   #2
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 17:39
Now I'm more confused! That didn't really answer anything.
Old September 9, 2002, 04:20   #3
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Now I'm more confused! That didn't really answer anything.
Hi Dale - and Tassadar too!

For a good overview of Candle'Bre, I would suggest taking a peek at the Core Rules - downloadable from a thread at the top of the page.

I'm not a member (employee, partner in??) of Velocigames but I've been following these forums for quite a while. So I'll try and summarise things as best I can. All corrections welcomed.

Candle'Bre is a turn based strategy game based in a fantasy world, with its own history, geography, politics and religion(s). In a nutshell we are talking about a mediaevel level of technology, mixed in with a little magic, sorcery - call it what you will, and a feudalistic kind of society. What we are not looking at is the more traditional (cliched?), Elves, Dwarves and Orcs style of fantasy world.

Gameplay features include:

- Provincial based management system (rather than the city based system of Civs I, II and III)

- Detailed strategic combat. Turn based at the moment but a possibility of RTS combat at a later date. Combat is resolved between armies, with a mix of units available to place in the armies. Do you want a light skirmishing force of archers? Or a siege force, complete with siege weapons and heavy cavalry? You decide - different jobs require different forces.

- Intricate social/economic model. In the planning stages at the moment, but each province will eventually contain a mixture of citizen types, each with their own likes, dislikes and behavior patterns. Citizen happiness (and therefore productivity) will depend on a number of factors - buildings in the province, tax rates to different areas of society, governmental settings etc. Build too many libraries or magic research buildings in a province and your clergy will start to get unhappy. Too many markets and banks and your nobles will become wary of your uppity middle classes.

- Magic system, based on four Elemental schools of magic, as well as Divine magic (use miracles to help you) or Artificers (cunning contrivances for the discerning leader). Ties in with religion, in that the Church is naturally distrustful of Elemental power, but does have its own brand of 'Magic' granted by various Deities.

- Honor and Infamy. Doing noble deeds, keeping the peace and generally dealing scrupulously with your neighbours will net you Honor points. The converse will gain you a level of notiority or Infamy. Whichever side you end up on will give you different options on the battlefield or around the conference table.

- The deck of the Fates. Small random events that spice up the game. They will not make or break the game but they could force a radical change in strategy midgame, or make the life of a late game superpower less comfortable than it might be.

- And not forgetting the Nilrogg ......

Hope this gives you some idea of what Candle'Bre is about. For more details I really suggest you browse through this forum a bit. Especially check out the Alpha Build News thread - proof positive that the above is more than a lot of hot air!

Rich
Old September 9, 2002, 04:36   #4
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 17:39
Thanks.

So it's sorta like Imperialism + Magic: The Gathering + that new game by Paragon based from 1100AD to 1419?
Old September 9, 2002, 07:50   #5
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Thanks.

So it's sorta like Imperialism + Magic: The Gathering + that new game by Paragon based from 1100AD to 1419?
No problem

Having never played any of the above, I can't really comment Generally though, I think the TBS genre is mature enough that it's almost impossible to create an entirely new TBS game - there will always be some similarities to existing games. It's also not much of a secret that the Candle'Bre team did a spot of research (to the great delight I imagine, of their local games retailer ), to scope out the kinds of TBS games that are out there, what was good about them and what was bad about them.

I am confident though that Candle'Bre will have more than enough new features to make it a whole new experience, rather than a hotch-potch of ideas lumped together from existing games!

Rich.
Old September 9, 2002, 11:32   #6
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

So are you going to sell this game when it's done or give it away? I'm confused on what the final goal is. Someone mentioned Velocigames, are the people working on this volunteering their time to help this company get off the ground or what?
Old September 9, 2002, 11:42   #7
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

We're developing the game with an eye toward giving it away. There are plans for expansions and extensions OF the core game, and those we'll do commercially, but the initial goal is to create a legion of hopelessly addicted Candle'Bre fans, and prove ourselves to the gaming community. At present, we're an unknown quantity.....nobody knows if we can do this or not. Once we release the game, we send a strong statement of competence to everybody who's listening, and when we do the commercial release of CB....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.