Old September 8, 2002, 15:54   #1
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Scenario Editor activating...
I was playing a multiplayer hotseat game yesterday (it'll become a PBEM shortly), and every time I saved and reloaded the scenario editor would kick in, letting me see all my opponents bases and giving me all their comm frequencies...

Sorry for this, but I'm a newb when it comes to multiplayer Is this a common occurrence? Is it possible to stop it happening?
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old September 8, 2002, 16:04   #2
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 08:41
??? I played exactly one hotseat game, against my brother (SMAC V4, then), but didn't have this problem. But maybe you can help the experts on this topic by giving your version number. You can also do some more testing by playing hotseat against yourself.

PS. I played Lal, and when I did do a pop boom (the second one to the Hab dome limit, the first my brother didn't notice in the Power graph) he asked "did you dream of power?" He was new to the game. And he didn't like it so much (because of SciFi) ... he didn't read the Interludes, depite I tried to urge him to read them
Old September 8, 2002, 16:07   #3
Clear Skies
Prince

SMAX version 2.0. Never palyed hotseat against myself, but it wouldn't make any difference - we were both on the same computer at the time...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old September 9, 2002, 04:31   #4
MariOne
King

Local Time: 09:41
Hotseat/pbem mode should nomally even *prevent* the activation of the Scneario Editor, by any means.

I remember that in the first year we had experienced some players causing the "corruption" of pbem savefiles. Regular games became corrupted as soon as they played them on their machines, by branding that game "Cheated!" in F8 screen and effectively making use of Scenario possible in that pbem.

It was reported that it was an installation-dependent issue.
Alas, those players reported that even removing and reinstalling SMAC did NOT fix their problems.
The only solution to it was a radical reformat of the PC.

I'm only reporting what other pretty experienced players found out (Meister Flo and tfs99, for those who remember them), as I hadn't luckily ecperienced this on my system.
It looks like all those playing pbems with you will have to make super-reliance on the honor system, unless you reinstall your whole PC...
Old September 9, 2002, 05:41   #5
Clear Skies
Prince

I don't know why it's happening. My first PBEM collapsed when I gave my friend the first .sav file - he opened it up and could immediately see everyone. Most irritating.
Old September 9, 2002, 15:13   #6
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
This probably isn't the same bug but it bears saying as it is similar...

When I used to play hotseat a lot, my friends and I noticed that before you start your turn on the screen where you're supposed to enter your password it is possible to click the comm frequency button and contact human or computer opponents before you have logged in. The reason I think this is relevant is because when you do it, it shows the map to you (again before the turn is loaded). Obviously this isn't as serious as the full scenario editor loading, but it's kind of a similar bug. You sure no one in you game clicked that com frequency button before they loaded their turn?
Old September 9, 2002, 17:34   #7
Clear Skies
Prince

Positive. There were only two of us, and I was there all the time - plus I trust Thene not to do that
...don't I?...
Old September 12, 2002, 06:29   #8
Darius
Prince

Local Time: 02:41
I had this problem about a year ago. See this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=26044

In my case, the player in question couldn't seem to follow the simple suggestion in the other thread, and we kept having the problem with him in the game, so we had to replace him. Once we replaced him, everything was fine.