staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 09:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
right above my post with my way explanation. here is a copy:
Ahh... that's what you ment, but it's a little too late to this, since I have already deleted the "pirate/pillage" things from the other files (and that file), and I can't seem to find the original files on the cd...

Anyway, until now, it works (Haven't had any crashes, that makes it unplayable...), though there's one more thing that bothers me (And I have completely forgot about)... There's a msgs tab, which keep giving me new msgs... Sure, I understand the point of it, but the important msgs are hidden, because there's always tons of msgs that's of no use... I couldn't care less if the new msgs a posted there or not, but what annoys me, is the fact that it is always flashing annoying warning-colored red. I can't ignore a color like that, and gets annoyed if the warning-color thingy is of no use... Does there exists a way to get rid of that color, or just get rid of new msgs...?

And one more thing: I don't know about you, but I'm tired of having to play as the blue all the time... In almost every game, you're playing blue or red, and I'm tired of it... I don't want it to be the same all the time...Does there exist someway to get rid of that, by making it random or something...

Last edited by Adagio; September 10, 2002 at 13:40.
Old September 10, 2002, 14:36   #32
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 02:43
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Ahh... that's what you ment, but it's a little too late to this, since I have already deleted the "pirate/pillage" things from the other files (and that file), and I can't seem to find the original files on the cd...
Can't say that what you did won't haunt you later in the game with a game crash - here's hopring it won't, but I would still do a reinstall down the line.

Lesson one is to always make a backup of original files before altering anything (I learned that lesson very quickly when I started modding)

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Anyway, until now, it works (Haven't had any crashes, that makes it unplayable...), though there's one more thing that bothers me (And I have completely forgot about)... There's a msgs tab, which keep giving me new msgs... Sure, I understand the point of it, but the important msgs are hidden, because there's always tons of msgs that's of no use... I couldn't care less if the new msgs a posted there or not, but what annoys me, is the fact that it is always flashing annoying warning-colored red. I can't ignore a color like that, and gets annoyed if the warning-color thingy is of no use... Does there exists a way to get rid of that color, or just get rid of new msgs...?
Can't say, because I never tried adjusting it. You can right click on the messages to get rid of them quickly.

The CTP1 system was a lot better in that it gave you icons on the left side of the screen that you could select whan you wanted to.

Both are a whole lot better than the civ3 setup that flashes the message above the city and disapppears into oblivion.

Blink and it's gone...

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
And one more thing: I don't know about you, but I'm tired of having to play as the blue all the time... In almost every game, you're playing blue or red, and I'm tired of it... I don't want it to be the same all the time...Does there exist someway to get rid of that, by making it random or something...
You can't do it in-game, but you can go to Colors00.txt and set your color. (in default/gamedata folder)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old September 10, 2002, 14:56   #33
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

While I must admit that I'm a bigger fan of the CIV series vs CTP, there are a few things that I thought were better done in the CTP. The main one being PW. Not having to screw with all the settlers was a big improvement. BUT, I had one question. When building roads between cities that areas didn't touch. I always had to build a temp city, build the roads and then disbanded the city. (due to my least favorite aspect of the CTP series, which was unfortunately somewhat copied in CIV III) Was there a way to build that road without the temp city and I just missed how to do it?

Rich
Old September 10, 2002, 15:12   #34
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
While I must admit that I'm a bigger fan of the CIV series vs CTP, there are a few things that I thought were better done in the CTP. The main one being PW. Not having to screw with all the settlers was a big improvement. BUT, I had one question. When building roads between cities that areas didn't touch. I always had to build a temp city, build the roads and then disbanded the city. (due to my least favorite aspect of the CTP series, which was unfortunately somewhat copied in CIV III) Was there a way to build that road without the temp city and I just missed how to do it?
Yes, you can build Fortresses, these expand your borders with 2 tiles in each direction (cities expand them with 4).

Of course, if you don't like that either, you can mod the game to make roads buildable outside borders

BTW, good to see you posting in this forum - outside the obvious Locutus Powers thread
Old September 10, 2002, 15:22   #35
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
BUT, I had one question. When building roads between cities that areas didn't touch. I always had to build a temp city, build the roads and then disbanded the city. (due to my least favorite aspect of the CTP series, which was unfortunately somewhat copied in CIV III) Was there a way to build that road without the temp city and I just missed how to do it?
In CTP2, all tile improvements were tied into national borders, so you can only build within your borders. IMO, this is reasonable for gameplay's sake.

CTP2 does have a Fortification tile improvement that will extend your national borders though. And a Modder could also create a cheap tile improvement that will do nothing but extend borders without giving any other benefit.

The problem with this is that the AI is currently programmed to respect national borders when building cities - the human has no such restraint so he could exploit this to his advantage by laying first claim to territory and thus choking off AI expansion.

On the other hand, the AI can also be programmed to disregard national borders, but then players would be griping about the AI plopping cities within their borders... It does this to some extent, by it settling in holes in your territory.

Oh crap, it seems like EVERYONE is beating me to posting replies today...

Congrats Locutus - its about time (better you than me)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old September 10, 2002, 15:29   #36
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

Yes, you can build Fortresses, these expand your borders with 2 tiles in each direction (cities expand them with 4).

Of course, if you don't like that either, you can mod the game to make roads buildable outside borders

BTW, good to see you posting in this forum - outside the obvious Locutus Powers thread
It usually would be necessary when playing on larger maps and taking ai cities on the other side of a large continent. Once you cleared the continent and disbanded all the crappy AI cities you didn't want to keep, you'd want to connect them. (keeping your city count down *sigh*)
I didn't want fortresses ever 5 squares so I'd just do the roving settler.

Modding the game I spend at least a third of my day programming at work, so the last thing I'd want to do in my free time is mod files. Besides, why should I do that when there are so many talanted experts here.
Old September 10, 2002, 15:34   #37
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
They're there, but they are 'cleverly' hidden: open the files Setup\data\civmain.ctp and Setup\data\civlang.ctp in your favourite unzip program (or copy them to HDD and rename them civmain.zip and civlang.zip) and you can access the files.

Quote:
I think you can disable at least some of the messages in the options screens. If that's not enough, you can also manually track down the proper messages by cross-referencing script.slc and info_str.txt and disabling the messages you don't like by adding the command Abort(); to it in script.slc.

Quote:
You can't do it in the game but if you (or someone else) are a little handy with VBasic or some other simple programming language you could probably easily write a small tool for it. A similar tool already exists for leader personalities, I think (see Apolyton Directory) - it's not hard to do but it requires (very) basic programming skills and some time...
Old September 10, 2002, 19:41   #38
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
Or if you dont want to be blue just edit "Colors00.txt". Okat thats not random, but i like to play as red
Old September 11, 2002, 08:05   #39
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Since I can't do much in VB yet, I'll stick to the txt file