Old September 9, 2002, 21:19   #1
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 23:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
why is it hard to access threads at Apolyton?
Frequently (maybe 20% of the time when I click on a thread here), part of the thread downloads to me, but then it stops downloading. Sometimes I can read the part that came through to me, and the latter portion of the thread just isn't there. Far more often, I just sit there looking at a blank screen, with some percentage listed in the lower left corner as having been downloaded.

Here's what I find particularly interesting: often, when I finally give up and try to load the thread again, the full thread flashes instantaneously onto the screen, only to be wiped out as the reloading process begins again. The whole thing has obviously been accessed, but isn't being shown to me. I can't find any other way to make it show up.

Does this happen often to anyone else? Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem, or is it just something that we have to go through to use this wonderful forum?
Old September 9, 2002, 21:32   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This post belongs in APOLYTON/ COMMUNITY.

Sorry I can't help you... I'll report this post so that Mark will move it however then someone might be ble to help you.

What browser are you using?
Old September 9, 2002, 23:21   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 17:44
It sometimes does that to me in Netscape Navigator.
Old September 10, 2002, 00:12   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
This used to happen to me rarely, but it's been quite a while since it's happened.
Old September 10, 2002, 01:22   #5
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
The best way to avoid that is to use any of the newer browsers available; MSIE 6, Netscape 6/7, Mozilla, Opera 6. That usually seems to help with page loading problems, due to the fact that newer browsers support new techs.
Old September 10, 2002, 18:17   #6
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 08:44
debeest
I have a PC and Internet Explorer at home = no problem.
I have a Mac and Netscape at my office = what you describe happens frequently (but I don't wish to talk too much of my 'Poly' problems with my boss )
Old September 10, 2002, 20:39   #7
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 23:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ah. Sounds like it might be an "old Netscape" problem. I use Netscape 4.0, because I think it's better than later versions, but I do have a recent version, so I'll try that and see if my problem goes away. Thanks!

Now maybe someone can tell me why a request for technical help got moved out of the "help" forum into the "community" forum....
Old September 10, 2002, 21:17   #8
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
This thread would have been off-topic in any of the help forums related to game titles. Short and brief explanation.
Old September 10, 2002, 21:24   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:44
Apolyton problems belong in the APOLYTON section
Old September 10, 2002, 22:05   #10
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 00:44
At work MSIE 5.x did it too. We recently changed to XP and I can't access my ISP the way it's set up. Still using Netscape 4.79 at home, and I got so annoyed with the loading problem that I changed my preference to 10 posts per page. Someday I'll get around to installing something else.
Old September 17, 2002, 03:27   #11
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 02:44
I think Netscape 4.7x gets confused with all the embedded links everywhere (e-mail, IM, reply w/ quote, etc).

I find it helps to immediately move the cursor to the scroll bar area and hold it still until the page completely loads.

If it hangs, hit reload and leave the cursor steady on reload until the page loads.

The process begins to resemble ritual magic...it may not be working, but you are occupied with an activity... and belief helps supplant frustration