Old September 10, 2002, 11:03   #1
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Campaign Thread: President
Ok here's the campaign thread for President.

Here are the candidates

OPD

Feel free to ask any questions
Old September 10, 2002, 11:09   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:45
/me can't miss the opportunity to ASK awkward questions for once

What do you reckon will happen with chats? Things are getting complex, at least until all the wars die down. Chats take hours for 5-6 turns at the moment. If you are gonna try to keep some chats going (good on you and good luck ), what times can you likely do them?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 10, 2002, 11:15   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:45
I would like for each of the candidates:

1)to tell us one thing that makes them the better candidate.

2)and one thing about their opponent that they admire.

I'm waiting....

Old September 10, 2002, 11:17   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

The Banana? What's not to like about the Almighty one?

Old September 10, 2002, 11:24   #5
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
* MrWhereItsAt can't miss the opportunity to ASK awkward questions for once

What do you reckon will happen with chats? Things are getting complex, at least until all the wars die down. Chats take hours for 5-6 turns at the moment. If you are gonna try to keep some chats going (good on you and good luck ), what times can you likely do them?
lol you call that an awkward question for a moment there I was worried.

Any way i have been watching how the chats have been going for a while now and was disapointed that I couldn't properly make the one the other day.

I very much prefer chats to threads and would like to keep them going in some sort of way. I think pre turnthread chats are a good idea aswell as informal chats while carrying out orders. I will be watching how things go over the next week or so and will probably try at least one proper chat (should I be elected) although if necesary we will have to resort to threads again.

As for times I have alot of free time ATM and so could probably do alot of different times except early in the morning. Personaly I favour chats starting around 8 pm UK time although some kind of discussion with ministers would be in order should I be elected.

Anyway opening speech to follow shortly.
Old September 10, 2002, 11:34   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

lol you call that an awkward question for a moment there I was worried.
Well, I really sympathise with ANYone at the moment. And I may want to run again in a month's time so I want to keep as many friends as possible here.

So, Trip, Ninot - do we let OPD into the President's Club or stage an election "accident"?

That IS the only reason Trip and Ninot aren't often around, you know. Having retired, they are in a very exclusive President's Club, where vast amounts of public money is spent on entertaining their every whim. Ever noticed how, on the rare occasions that Ninot posts now, it appears to be only vaguely relevant? He is actually highly intoxicated the whole time. And Trip has met himself this lovely set of French triplet cocktail waitresses. He hasn't been seen since.....

When the Presidency is finished with me, guess where I'm going....

Old September 10, 2002, 11:41   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
The Banana? What's not to like about the Almighty one?
You're not a candidate, go to your waitress club or something...........

Seriously, though, OPD doesn't have a custom avatar! Isn't that a prerequisite for the office? I can make you an animated version of the Banana King with the Egyptian headdress and worshipful French handmaidens if you want, since as President you'll be filling the roll of "Banana of the Egyyptians."
Old September 10, 2002, 11:48   #8
OPD
King

Openning Speech
Ok I'm runnig for pres and would appreciate your votes.
Some people see the president as the "boss" of the demo game but I don't see it this way at all. As someone once said the pres may be incharge but everyone is his boss. As president I would be answerable to any and every citizen.

Broad policies
I favour a continued war with persia but as I have stated previously not at the expense of infrastructure/expansion.

As president I would favour an immediate switch to 1.29 if we have not already done so?

I favour chats over threads and even if turnchats aren't possible will incorporate some kind of chat.

These are only a few broad policies feel free to question my stance on anything else or these in more detail.

So please vote for me I may not have as much experience as previous presidents but what other president can say they have been able to watch how 3 other presidents have done things.
If elected I plan on getting alot of help and advice from MWIA if he is willing.
I have the free time and I know pretty much everything thats going on and have done for sometime.

Overall ATM I do not see myself as much of a politician but I am a good civ player.

So feel free to ask any questions at all whether about the demo game about civ3 or completely off topic (if you just want to get to know me a bit more). Also feel free to PM me any queries or anything else if you don't want to post here.

I have a campaign motto

"vote OPD progress is his middle name"

And my campaign song is queen's "living on my own" not that I particularily like queen or that the song holds any significance I just think it's a cool song.

cheers
OPD
Old September 10, 2002, 11:51   #9
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:45
OPD needs something around 70 posts to get his custom avatar. Can we open an exception?
Btw, Ghengis, I would like to see that avatar...
Old September 10, 2002, 11:53   #10
OPD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I would like for each of the candidates:

1)to tell us one thing that makes them the better candidate.

2)and one thing about their opponent that they admire.

I'm waiting....

I'm the better candidate cos like over the last 21 years I've eaten about 1000 bananas and no bannanannaba has ever eaten me.

Err I like the way the banana is persistent?
Old September 10, 2002, 11:54   #11
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Re: Openning Speech
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

I have a campaign motto

"vote OPD progress is his middle name"

cheers
OPD
This motto is enough to me. You have my vote!
Old September 10, 2002, 11:56   #12
OPD
King

Quote:

You're not a candidate, go to your waitress club or something...........

Seriously, though, OPD doesn't have a custom avatar! Isn't that a prerequisite for the office? I can make you an animated version of the Banana King with the Egyptian headdress and worshipful French handmaidens if you want, since as President you'll be filling the roll of "Banana of the Egyyptians."
I care not for custom avatars but if you want to design one I'll use it if elected.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:01   #13
OPD
King

Quote:

Well, I really sympathise with ANYone at the moment. And I may want to run again in a month's time so I want to keep as many friends as possible here.

So, Trip, Ninot - do we let OPD into the President's Club or stage an election "accident"?

That IS the only reason Trip and Ninot aren't often around, you know. Having retired, they are in a very exclusive President's Club, where vast amounts of public money is spent on entertaining their every whim. Ever noticed how, on the rare occasions that Ninot posts now, it appears to be only vaguely relevant? He is actually highly intoxicated the whole time. And Trip has met himself this lovely set of French triplet cocktail waitresses. He hasn't been seen since.....

When the Presidency is finished with me, guess where I'm going....
Dude less talk about "the club" remember what happened when uber found out and did all that revolution stuff untill trip paid him off.

This is only going to be a one turn thing for me as I have RL plans long term.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:04   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
I care not for custom avatars but if you want to design one I'll use it if elected.
Wow, you don't have very a very high opinion of yourself if you don't think you'll get elected.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:08   #15
OPD
King

Quote:

Wow, you don't have very a very high opinion of yourself if you don't think you'll get elected.
lol I'm trying not to be presumptuous. Every time I post I have to go back through and add the words "if elected" every few sentences.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:10   #16
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:45
Your program regarding the Civ 3 game will easily convince the citizens, but you have not developped your ideas regarding the democracy aspect of the game. Are you interested in it only at election time ?
Old September 10, 2002, 12:15   #17
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Be presumptuous, it's a prerequisite for the office.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:29   #18
OPD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
Your program regarding the Civ 3 game will easily convince the citizens, but you have not developped your ideas regarding the democracy aspect of the game. Are you interested in it only at election time ?
I have touched on my views of the democracy aspect of the game but have not developed them much like I have not gone into detail on my ideas regarding the actual game.

If you really wanted a 10 screen post I could have given you one but personally I dislike really long posts so I am expecting to answer specific questions.

Davout if you could be more specific with a question regarding the democracy aspect I would be happy to answer any.

If you want me to say things like I will reply to any and all queries from the public on any subject if elected then ok but I think thigs like that go without saying.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:30   #19
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Be presumptuous, it's a prerequisite for the office.
You can imagine The Court issuing a judgement for empeachment :

The President has demonstrated a total lack of presomptuousness despite all his efforts to hide an atrocious modesty.

Old September 10, 2002, 12:33   #20
Aro
lifer
Emperor

This will never happens...
Old September 10, 2002, 12:39   #21
OPD
King

OPD mutters something about people nominating themselves on the last day of nominations then winning on the last day of elections

**Cough godking cough**
Old September 10, 2002, 12:43   #22
DAVOUT
King

Re: Campaign Thread: President
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

Feel free to ask any questions
You mean questions deserving short answers ?

I dont consider that answering questions from the citizens is worth mentionning in an electoral program ; even unpresomptuous presidents are polite ; we pretend to build a civilization after all. I was rather refering to the principles which you intend to apply in the continued improvement of the Apolitonian society.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:53   #23
OPD
King

Re: Re: Campaign Thread: President
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
You mean questions deserving short answers ?
No I mean questions that aren't vauge and misleading

Nor do I mean questions that I have already answered earlier in the thread.

Old September 10, 2002, 15:35   #24
MagnusMarcus
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 02:45
Is there no citizen other than OPD willing to run for president? I for one grow tired of voting for the almighty banana. I'm surprised there is nothing in the Jungle Gazette about this apparent lack of available leadership.
Old September 10, 2002, 15:49   #25
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:45
I would have run for president but I'll be too busy during schooldays for the rest 2 or 3 months so I'll make a lousy pres...
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 10, 2002, 16:00   #26
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Personally, I think OPD will make a fine President.

EDIT "if elected" (crud, had to go back and add that again..........)
Old September 10, 2002, 17:47   #27
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:45
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
OPD mutters something about people nominating themselves on the last day of nominations then winning on the last day of elections

**Cough godking cough**

Who, me?

OPD will make a great prez!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm not even running for this position..... so no need to worry about little old me......

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 10, 2002, 18:10   #28
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 03:45
what are your views on political parties. are you affiliated?
Old September 11, 2002, 09:23   #29
MagnusMarcus
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 02:45
Political parties have yet to become a necessary evil as is apparent by the lack of citizens campaigning to be president. Political parties are only needed to secure votes when races are contested. As such I see no need to affiliate myself with any party. I am content to vote for the almighty yet again as OPD will surely win uncontested.
Old September 11, 2002, 09:35   #30
OPD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
what are your views on political parties. are you affiliated?
Not affiliated and never really like the idea.

Earlier in the game I was very much against the DIA and thier builder ways but in our current situation I'm starting to favour thier policies more. I'm a warmongerer at heart but think that other aspects of the game have been understated for far too long.

As for political parties yeah sure there will a party if I win.