Old September 10, 2002, 14:38   #1
ArmaGeddin
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some thoughts from a new player.....
I just started playing a few weeks ago, and I came to this forum and found the BEST source of information for ANY game I have ever played before. You all rock!

Anyway...... Here are some of my thoughts on the game that I thought other new players may want to know.

Hit F1 and check your science slider EVERY TURN. You can milk out more cash that way. Sometimes you will find that you can drop the slider down a bit and keep the same number of turns for the next advance. Work it down every turn until you get the advance. Then bump it back up to your max without loosing cash just after you get the advance. You will save a bunch of cash for city upgrades this way in the later game.

Make sure you hit F4 and check every nation you know about EVERY TURN. You will find that if you give them a buck or two every turn as a gift even if you don't have anything to trade with them, they will stay on your side way way longer than if you ignore them.

Hit F4 and hit the trade tab to see what other AI nations want from you. If you roll over every nation head with the trades tab selected they will let you know if they need something. Then go trade it to them. double click on them and say you want to trade. Then add the item they want and ASK them what they will give you for it. They will tell you what they have to offer and I almost always take what they say they want to give unless they don't have anything I want or they don't have any cash to give me. In my last game NO ONE attacked me until I declared war on them.

Trade with everyone unless you are at war with them as often as possible. For the same reason.

Always REX! If you don't expand as fast as the AI you will loose!

Learn all the keyboard short cuts! You will find that there alot of things you can do with shortcuts that you can't do with the U/I.

Learn the science tree! If you don't know where you are going in science you are going to loose more often than not.

Go down a specific science path to get to a destination. If you amble about at random and let the AI pick your science you will be lost.

Archer rush! This is the best way of getting rid of an AI player close to you every time! Gives you way more room to work in the early game!

Get to Monarchy as fast as possible if you plan on attacking right away.

Get to Republic, or Democracy as soon as possible if you plan on being peacefull.

Check these forums and read all the threads on strategy in the strategy forum! Lots of great information in there.

Get the population heads graphics upgrade in the files section of this board! They help out a heck of alot when figuring out what your people think of the city.

Anyway...... These things helped me out a ton.

Good luck!
Old September 10, 2002, 14:46   #2
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 09:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Looks like you have got a good grip of the game! So maybe it's time to try Deity...
Old September 10, 2002, 15:46   #3
ArmaGeddin
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hehe....

I just won my first game at Monarch last night. It lasted way to long, I missed a couple of oportunties, and I almost lost when a couple of my cities went roague on me (flipped) in a war with Germany.

I'm going to try one more game at Monarch and see how I do then bump up the difficulty again.
Old September 10, 2002, 16:27   #4
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 08:46
Quote:
Originally posted by ArmaGeddin
Hehe....

I just won my first game at Monarch last night. It lasted way to long, I missed a couple of oportunties, and I almost lost when a couple of my cities went roague on me (flipped) in a war with Germany.

I'm going to try one more game at Monarch and see how I do then bump up the difficulty again.
I can quite cheerfully beat Monarch like the proverbial rented mule, but I found the jump up to Emperor quite significant. At least, on a psychological level. In the early game you are going to find yourself smaller, with less money, fewer techs and a smaller military. It can be a bit of a shock to have to work at winning a game from this kind of position, although (obviously) it can be done. So be prepared to be intimidated in your first few attempts.
Old September 10, 2002, 18:06   #5
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 07:46
You know i can beat Monarch any time i want from any starting possition(and yes even on an isolated island).

But every time i play on Emperor i have my **h kicked. Once i was close to victory( just changed to Democracy and was two techs away from the most advanced civ-Egyptians), but then the Egyptians attacked suddenly with no provocation or demand of tribute. Even though i did not start the war my citizens were war weary after only eight turns. That put an end to any aspirations for victory.

Just saying that you must try it out at Monarch a few more times before you make the jump. This is not civ2.
Old September 10, 2002, 20:31   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:46
Quote:
when you say rogue do you mean a culture flip or was it a spy inciting them? If it was a spy go to Dem and they can't do it.
Old September 10, 2002, 21:44   #7
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 02:46
Re: Some thoughts from a new player.....
Quote:

Hit F1 and check your science slider EVERY TURN. You can milk out more cash that way. Sometimes you will find that you can drop the slider down a bit and keep the same number of turns for the next advance. Work it down every turn until you get the advance. Then bump it back up to your max without loosing cash just after you get the advance. You will save a bunch of cash for city upgrades this way in the later game.

You might not want to do it every turn (a lot of micromanagement) but once in a while (3-4 times per tech) is great. Leads to great things especially in Republic / Democracy.

Quote:

Learn all the keyboard short cuts! You will find that there alot of things you can do with shortcuts that you can't do with the U/I.
again!

I especially like Shift-A. When my manual work with my worker is done, I put them on S-A. They improve the rest of the terrain without overriding what I have already done. When I need one, i grab one by the ear...

Quote:
Learn the science tree! If you don't know where you are going in science you are going to loose more often than not.

Go down a specific science path to get to a destination. If you amble about at random and let the AI pick your science you will be lost.
By beelining for a certain tech, you get some lead on the AI. You can then sell the techs you gained for an appreciable price and the remaining techs will be cheaper.

Quote:
Get to Monarchy as fast as possible if you plan on attacking right away.

Get to Republic, or Democracy as soon as possible if you plan on being peacefull.
If you are religious, you can afford many government changes. If not, I like to stay in Republic most of the game (mostly a builder here...)

Quote:
Check these forums and read all the threads on strategy in the strategy forum! Lots of great information in there.

--Kon--

EDIT: Looks my multi quotes do not work... Sorry for the inconvinience. If someone knows how to do this, I'd like to know!!

Last edited by Konquest02; September 11, 2002 at 10:06.
Old September 10, 2002, 22:04   #8
Tuberski

Re: Re: Some thoughts from a new player.....
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Konquest02
Quote:

EDIT: Looks my multi quotes do not work... Sorry for the inconvinience. If someone knows how to do this, I'd like to know!!

Use /QUOTE instead of \QUOTE
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 11, 2002, 05:55   #9
Lucarse
Warlord

Local Time: 07:46
Quote:
Hit F4 and hit the trade tab to see what other AI nations want from you. If you roll over every nation head with the trades tab selected they will let you know if they need something. Then go trade it to them. double click on them and say you want to trade. Then add the item they want and ASK them what they will give you for it. They will tell you what they have to offer and I almost always take what they say they want to give unless they don't have anything I want or they don't have any cash to give me. In my last game NO ONE attacked me until I declared war on them.
I never go for what the AI offers, you'll find if they offer gold always go up at least +100 on lump sums or on per turn basis +5 (i start at +10 on what they offer then work down.)

I find 9/10 times they go for it (of course check their treasury first) it may seem trivial but that extra 5 or 10 GP per turn can be very very valuable it adds up!
Old September 11, 2002, 09:59   #10
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Re: Re: Some thoughts from a new player.....
Thank you Tuberski!!

--Kon--

Last edited by Konquest02; September 11, 2002 at 10:04.