Old September 11, 2002, 03:28   #1
0zymandias
Settler

Local Time: 17:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How do I easily tell what techs others have?
Is there a page, like in other civ games?

Help, please.
Old September 11, 2002, 03:34   #2
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You can't. The only way you can tell is to see what techs they have for trade and that doesn't show you techs you have or can't yet research.
Old September 11, 2002, 03:35   #3
0zymandias
Settler

Local Time: 17:48
*pouts and goes off to sulk*
Old September 11, 2002, 04:17   #4
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Its not all that bad. You only need to know which techs are available for trade most of time anyway. It would be nice to know when someone is working on a key tech. Unlike Civ II the AI doesn't seem to get annoyed if you contact every turn although I try to make a trade or give a little gold to each Civ I contact anyway. Maps mostly.

I know a lot of people that don't like to trade maps but I find that to be helpful only when I am blocking a large area they can't see early in the game.

You can get an idea of where the Civs are by looking at their units. You can even look in on their cities for a reasonble sum if you don't do it too often. I only do that when I think I may be a race for a Wonder so I check the cities that the F7 screen says is constructing it. Most of the time I don't bother but it can give you an idea of their techs by looking at the buildings.
Old September 11, 2002, 12:39   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:48
The only reason to not give yoour map is if they do not know your territory and you have open areas you want. Once they know that land is there the settlers will start coming. Once that is not a concern, I give my maps away or 1 or 2 gold when you ask for something and I do not want to give or trade it.
Old September 11, 2002, 13:23   #6
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 04:48
I'd like to see that option implemented in PTW (I mean, the option to see the other civs techs). You would be able to access that info only if you had an embassy with that civ, of course.

Apparently they "forgot" to streamline that part of the game...

EDIT: A smilie that didn't work
Old September 11, 2002, 16:24   #7
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
I'd like to see that option implemented in PTW (I mean, the option to see the other civs techs). You would be able to access that info only if you had an embassy with that civ, of course.

Yes that could be usefull!

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 11, 2002, 16:49   #8
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 02:48
Quote:

Why not a list of information under each civ name in the Trade Advisor's screen.

It will list:

1: World Map (there either yours or theirs are not the same)
2: Total Gold
3: Resources/Luxeries
4: Techs
5: Workers

Click on each civ name once and this tree list will drop, click the civ's name again and it should callaspe.

BTW: I just made and uploaded my new avatar.
Old September 11, 2002, 20:37   #9
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:48
You need a spy to see, how many Units of a certain type the AI has.
Why not just adding Information about such things as technologies and maybe available Ressources after you plant a spy within another Civ?
Old September 11, 2002, 20:43   #10
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus_MST
You need a spy to see, how many Units of a certain type the AI has.
Why not just adding Information about such things as technologies and maybe available Ressources after you plant a spy within another Civ?
Because you don't need a spy to see them. Just talk to a civ. My idea is to gather this information into one place from multiple civs to make trading easier.
Old September 12, 2002, 10:40   #11
Alex
Emperor

When we are talking about espionage, then one concept must be clear: espionage must reward you with some important information, but not only that; the information you gather through spies must be what we could call "denied data", i.e., data that would not be available through any other means.

Given that, I would classify information about other civs technologies as important -- but not denied. It has to be displayed on a diplomatic relationship, otherwise you would not be able to trade techs. Therefore, no need of spies. That is why I like Thrawn's idea.

But -- and here the spies could be handy -- espionage should be able to reveal which technology is being researched by the other civ. Important strategic info.
Old September 12, 2002, 11:55   #12
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
But -- and here the spies could be handy -- espionage should be able to reveal which technology is being researched by the other civ. Important strategic info.

How about a "Bribe Advisor" mission?

Bribe a civ's advisor and you'll have full access to their screen. Bribe domestic advisor to look at that screen.... Bribe Science advisor to see their tech tree... etc...
Old September 12, 2002, 12:45   #13
Alex
Emperor

I like the idea... I suppose you mean that the advisor screen would be available just once (when you bribe the advisor), and then you wouldn't get access anymore. Is this it? It would have to be a very cheap espionage mission, then, because I would not be willing to pay a lot of money to access their advisor screen just one time.
Old September 12, 2002, 13:03   #14
Bangedup
Chieftain

No one seemed to answer the question so I will. If you want to know what techs they have then go to diplmatic screen, click on a leader and open the technology for trade section. If you have techs and they don't then you know that they haven't researched what you have to sell. Also more advanced techs wont be listed on either side because you have to have the required techs first.
So in short all the techs that show on your side are techs he doesn't have.
If the AI has techs you see what they are unless he has higher up techs that have requisites. You can guess at this based on your own performance during the game. If you are woefully behind you can assume he has more techs than what is shown. For instance if he is wearing a suit and you have on furs its a safe bet he has lots more tech that is not shown.
Old September 12, 2002, 13:44   #15
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Bangedup
No one seemed to answer the question so I will. If you want to know what techs they have then go to diplmatic screen, click on a leader and open the technology for trade section. If you have techs and they don't then you know that they haven't researched what you have to sell. Also more advanced techs wont be listed on either side because you have to have the required techs first.
So in short all the techs that show on your side are techs he doesn't have.
If the AI has techs you see what they are unless he has higher up techs that have requisites. You can guess at this based on your own performance during the game. If you are woefully behind you can assume he has more techs than what is shown. For instance if he is wearing a suit and you have on furs its a safe bet he has lots more tech that is not shown.
I think Ethelred mentioned it, even if not so detailed as you
I think the main point is, that it is very inconvenient if you always have to look it up in the Tech Tree to find out, which of the Technologies the AI has ("Hm, the Aztecs donīt have Invention, I therefore assume that they also donīt have Gunpowder").
The second point is, that you canīt see in the Trade Windows, which Technology the AI is currently researching.

A window where you can see all the Technologies which you and the AI-Civs possess would be nice (such as in CTP2).

And maybe an espionage-mission to find out, what Technology the AI is currently working on.