Old September 12, 2002, 06:14   #1
Ghengis Thom
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
End game hoard of artillery
Im sick of my end games having a bizillion artillery running around.

I think every time units are captured they should have a chance of being destroyed.

I also think Railroads and Art. make home defense way to easy. Every piece of Art. in my nation can pummel an attacker anywhere, instantly. Its too easy. Not sure what could be done about that.

Ghengis Thom
Old September 12, 2002, 06:23   #2
thorpey
Settler

Re: End game hoard of artillery
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghengis Thom

I think every time units are captured they should have a chance of being destroyed.

I also think Railroads and Art. make home defense way to easy. Every piece of Art. in my nation can pummel an attacker anywhere, instantly. Its too easy. Not sure what could be done about that.

Ghengis Thom
Why don't you keep what you need and disband the rest?
It's a quick and easy way to build cultural buildings in
captured cities.
Old September 12, 2002, 07:30   #3
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 01:51
Quote:

Ghengis Thom
Well you're right on the first part when you're playing warlord style like I do you often find yourself with sooo many units it's very annoying to move them all around and not knowing what to do with them (almost all enemies are more or less down).

The RR factor should stay like it is now as you must have an advantage on your home territory. Think about in history the defender almost all time had an advantage over the attacker concerning territory knowledge and being able to transport troops to the front quickly using the home RR-system this is reflected by Civ III. Also this give a smaller or tech-behind civ the chance of survival against stronger neighbours otherwise they would be just overtaken.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old September 12, 2002, 07:35   #4
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 08:51
Although, annoying and tedious to move they come in handy as "occupation forces" for me all the time. You need a lot of unit in order to keep cities from flipping back and that's where I use them among any absolute units that I have sitting around. Gradually, I disband them and build different improvements!

So long...
Old September 12, 2002, 07:38   #5
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
Although, annoying and tedious to move they come in handy as "occupation forces" for me all the time. You need a lot of unit in order to keep cities from flipping back and that's where I use them among any absolute units that I have sitting around. Gradually, I disband them and build different improvements!
Pioneer, the arty does not count as far as the flipping is concerned...
Old September 12, 2002, 07:42   #6
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:51
Re: Re: End game hoard of artillery
Quote:
Originally posted by Galvatron

The RR factor should stay like it is now as you must have an advantage on your home territory. Think about in history the defender almost all time had an advantage over the attacker concerning territory knowledge and being able to transport troops to the front quickly using the home RR-system this is reflected by Civ III. Also this give a smaller or tech-behind civ the chance of survival against stronger neighbours otherwise they would be just overtaken.
That was one thing I liked in CTP2.
You had the RR-System letting you move 5 Tiles per MP so they were just better Roads.
Implemented into Civ 3 it would still give the Defender a distinct advantage over the attacker, cos they would be able to move even Units with 1 MP over a distance of 5 Tiles regardless of Terrain, whereas even the 2-MP-Units of the Attacker could often be moved just one Tile because of the Terrain.
Old September 12, 2002, 10:24   #7
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
Since each artillery is worth 20 shields, why don't you disband them to rush a market/temple?
Old September 12, 2002, 10:26   #8
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Re: Re: End game hoard of artillery
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus_MST

That was one thing I liked in CTP2.
You had the RR-System letting you move 5 Tiles per MP so they were just better Roads.
Implemented into Civ 3 it would still give the Defender a distinct advantage over the attacker, cos they would be able to move even Units with 1 MP over a distance of 5 Tiles regardless of Terrain, whereas even the 2-MP-Units of the Attacker could often be moved just one Tile because of the Terrain.
It would also force you to think in terms of regional defense forces, instead of clustering all your forces into one area and sending them out as needed. It would just add a little more strategy to it all.
Old September 12, 2002, 10:38   #9
Nosferum
Settler

---Agreed. It was the original Civ Net that changed Railroads to be multiples of 10, rather than unlimited (caused problems in multiplayer games). The single-player versions, though, stick to the unlimited distance. I think tonight, I'll fidget with the editor and reduce it to a multiple of 5 or 6, to put a little life back in the later game. It's just too easy to sling around 50 Artillery from one side of the continent to another and instantly turn any attacker to pudding.
Old September 12, 2002, 11:01   #10
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Nosferum
I think tonight, I'll fidget with the editor and reduce it to a multiple of 5 or 6, to put a little life back in the later game.
Good luck! That's been hardcoded and can't be changed. In fact there's nothing you can alter regarding railroads except for having a 0 commerce bonus. This will prevent the construction of a road, which will prevent the building of a railroad. That's all you can do.
Old September 12, 2002, 14:14   #11
The Pioneer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

Pioneer, the arty does not count as far as the flipping is concerned...
What? Why has that fact escaped my attention? After all I rarely had a city flip back and I thought that Arty was the reason!

So long...
Old September 12, 2002, 14:21   #12
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
What? Why has that fact escaped my attention? After all I rarely had a city flip back and I thought that Arty was the reason!
Nope, I think it's something else... in another thread, you mentioned you modded your artillery to have a non-zero defense... I guess it makes them count then. Zero-defense units do not count, AFAIK... I did not know you were talking about a modded arty. But the vanilla version artillery can't be used as a military police, that's for sure.
Old September 12, 2002, 15:34   #13
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:51
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Back OT:

Disband in captured cities... depending on your traits, you can get cultural buildings built in the turn of capture, thus dramatically reducing the chance of a flip.

Combine this with commie poprushing (if religious), and you can drive down foreign pop and rushbuild temples, marketplaces, and courthouses in no time.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 12, 2002, 16:06   #14
Ghengis Thom
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Back OT:

Disband in captured cities... depending on your traits, you can get cultural buildings built in the turn of capture, thus dramatically reducing the chance of a flip.

Combine this with commie poprushing (if religious), and you can drive down foreign pop and rushbuild temples, marketplaces, and courthouses in no time.
These are good ideas. But Im not saying I cant figure out what to do with them all. Once I have railroads then any number are useful.
Im saying since they never go away through the ages that I have so many that the game becomes easy.

And its not a matter of Difficulty level. Once I hit railroad general know whether Im winning or not. I would like the end game to mantain some challenge and I think Art. is a big part of why its so easy.

CptBlood
Old September 12, 2002, 16:55   #15
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
Quote:
And its not a matter of Difficulty level. Once I hit railroad general know whether Im winning or not. I would like the end game to mantain some challenge and I think Art. is a big part of why its so easy.
That's rather ironic, since I've seen a lot of players comment on how useless they thought Artillery was. There's been a number of discussions about that, especially by those wanting lethal bombardment.
Old September 12, 2002, 17:29   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
No, I understand. Massive numbers of anything are overpowering... Knights, Cavs, Tanks, MA, and yes, Arty.

Don;t foget, this is not a wargame... have fun trying to balance your cities and units with your objectives. If you're telling me you are achieving every objective of which you can conceive, and that you still have a bizillion Arty running around, then I bow to you.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 13, 2002, 05:14   #17
Ghengis Thom
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
No, I understand. Massive numbers of anything are overpowering... Knights, Cavs, Tanks, MA, and yes, Arty.
True but I dont mind that any of the others are overpowering, because they die. Artys never die, they are at best just traded back and forth.

Quote:
Don;t foget, this is not a wargame... have fun trying to balance your cities and units with your objectives. If you're telling me you are achieving every objective of which you can conceive, and that you still have a bizillion Arty running around, then I bow to you.
Well, my objective is to win. But by the late era's I already know if Im going to win and Im just going through the motions to offical register my score on the list (to compare to my other games). Early on I love micro managing workers and population but later I have so many I auto all my workers and pop control. Eventually my empire gets so big while conquering I stop caring what the new cities are building after temple/cath.

I kinda wandered off topic but the point is the end game gets messy and for me a big part of it is all the artillery.

Ghengis Thom
Old September 13, 2002, 09:59   #18
Moonsinger
Warlord

I don't understand about the complain in this thread! In my last game, after the war, I have to disband 281 artilleries, 120 cavalries, 79 infantries, 13 tanks (I have a total of 25 tanks), .... Basically, I kept exactly 12 tanks (which I upgraded to modern armor a couple centuries later) to protect my empire and disband all of my units to build the mass transit in every cities of size 14 or above.
Old September 14, 2002, 01:03   #19
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have never had more than 20-30 arties, nor 120 of anything. It must be a bugger to manage them all.
Old September 14, 2002, 06:24   #20
Ethelred
King

The secret to not having so bloody many units or cities is

PLAY ON A SMALLER MAP
Old September 14, 2002, 10:38   #21
Wormwood
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger
I don't understand about the complain in this thread! In my last game, after the war, I have to disband 281 artilleries, 120 cavalries, 79 infantries, 13 tanks (I have a total of 25 tanks), .... Basically, I kept exactly 12 tanks (which I upgraded to modern armor a couple centuries later) to protect my empire and disband all of my units to build the mass transit in every cities of size 14 or above.
12 tanks is a pretty small force for that time. Didn't the AI try to bully you aorund after the mass disbanding?