Old September 14, 2002, 20:46   #31
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I no longer put religious as my top trait. That is because if I am play a military race, I will only shift govs once or twice at the most. 129f did make commerical a much better trait than it was.
Old September 16, 2002, 12:29   #32
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

There was a pretty spirited debate over which was #1 - Religious or Industrious. I (and others) argued for Religious, while Velocyrix (and others )argued for Industrious. When the dust settled, Industrious had won. Not by a helluva lot, mind you

Militaristic CAN be the #1 trait if you use it correctly and are blessed with a bit of luck. I typically play militaristic civs, usually combining mil with either religious or industrious.

Scientific is ok, but generally accepted to be a 2nd-tier trait. It can be more useful for a builder to gain or extend a tech lead in a close race. The cheap science buildings are nice, of course.

Commercial, with the 1.29 boost, is a solid trait, but also 2nd-tier. On maps with lots of open land, combined with industrious (France), I could see it being pretty powerful over time.

Expansionist can either rock or suck. In my experience, it mostly sucks.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 16, 2002, 13:05   #33
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 02:52
playing japs now, after my 1st 3 leaders became armies, have rush built 4 wonders with the next. if u kick @ss, mil is hard to beat! you get it all. just disable domination victory if you want to conquer every last square inch of real estate - did not get that and frustrated to win with domination in my recent germanic tromp. crap!

i like ibble blibble
Old September 16, 2002, 13:33   #34
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Arrian, has put my sentiments in his post. I do long for Ind workers when I do not have them, but I like Mil and don't always want to play Rome. I never cared for Expansion at all. Yes I have read all of the arguements and they don't fly. I see very litle evidence that the AI will do a good job of getting to the goody huts that are in my area, I can get them witout a scout. Improved chance to get things is not going to make the game. Leaders can make a game so much easier. How many wonders can you get in the first two eras wihtout them at say Emp, forget Deity. If you play at warlord, then all traits are just fine.