Old December 20, 2000, 10:51   #31
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 17:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Ok, here's some more:

Bombers vs Fanatics: Lawrence of Arabia (Well, they were Arabs, but it looks close enough)

Jet Fighter vs Jet Fighter: Top Gun

------------------
"We sought to throw a raging lion ashore; what we got was a stranded whale!" -Winston Curchill on the Battle of Anzio

"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" -Juvenal

"I can walk!!" -Dr. Strangelove
Old December 20, 2000, 14:52   #32
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 23:48
Nuke vs. City - Dr. Strangelove

Well, I like to believe Slim Pickins is rodeoing that bomb all the way down... And the 'We'll meet again' scene at the end of the film is for me the definitive 'Nuke' scene.
Old December 21, 2000, 00:01   #33
zyxpsilon
Warlord

Local Time: 22:48
quote:

Originally posted by johnmcd on 12-17-2000 07:37 AM
Oi! it wasn't a British invasion it was an ENGLISH invasion, we Scots have a alliance of over 700 with our French friends. So watch it or I'll start referring to you as an American.

I stand corrected.
England is a different "country" than Great Britain. Commonwealth and so on. NATO.
In fact, France was also known in the past to be "La GAULE" under The Roman Empire invasion.
The actual province of Quebec, part of the Canadian political federation, is reknown to have had its fair share of "cultural" history and disputed -colonization- influences.
As for, contacts in America; well, trading partners are essential for economic reasons... Mexico with the USA, Canada with USA, Brazil, Panama, Uruguay, Chile, Columbia, Argentina, etc.
The European economic community is another Trade pool.

Old December 21, 2000, 00:27   #34
zyxpsilon
Warlord

Engineers VS Partisans > THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME.
Rifleman VS Rifleman > GONE WITH THE WIND.
Battleships VS Destroyers > "D" DAY.

Scenario's original texts and deleted scenes by the cinematographic industry producers... excluded. Rated PG-13.

Helicopter VS Helicopter(s) > APOCALYPSE NOW!
(Starring Martin Sheen by Oliver Stone)

Marines & Spies VS Tanks & other Marines > WHERE EAGLES DARE.
(Starring Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton.)

Do i know my movies?
Here's two pivotal Academy award losers for many different political and competition reasons;

MISSION TO MARS & THE RED PLANET > any units from Civ2's scenario designers.

What about THE GRINCH! and GLADIATOR.

That thread is inspiring. It is even fun, sometimes... unless someone IS a freelance screenplay writer.
Old December 21, 2000, 06:30   #35
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

quote:

I stand corrected.
England is a different "country" than Great Britain. Commonwealth and so on. NATO.
In fact, France was also known in the past to be "La GAULE" under The Roman Empire invasion.
The actual province of Quebec, part of the Canadian political federation, is reknown to have had its fair share of "cultural" history and disputed -colonization- influences.
As for, contacts in America; well, trading partners are essential for economic reasons... Mexico with the USA, Canada with USA, Brazil, Panama, Uruguay, Chile, Columbia, Argentina, etc.
The European economic community is another Trade pool.

Grrrr. Are you trying to wind me up? At the time of Joan of Arc Scotland and England were as distinct as countries as North and South Korea, and with all the menace of war between them. There was no Great Britain till hundreds of years later. France was Scotland’s greatest ally throughout this time and we often raised arms against the English on their behalf and vice versa. England was a major threat to both countries though happily it never managed to conquer either.

[This message has been edited by johnmcd (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old December 21, 2000, 06:53   #36
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 17:48
You tell them John. Any time we could get everyone to work together we could kick there little behinds all the way back to the Tyne. If Henry VII hadn't had the foresight to marry his daughter into the Scottish Royal family they would still be sweating out invasions from Spain and France.

Kenneth, 40th generation from McAlpin, at least if I've counted correctly it's the 40th.
Old December 24, 2000, 03:05   #37
zyxpsilon
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by johnmcd on 12-21-2000 05:30 AM
Grrrr. Are you trying to wind me up?

[This message has been edited by johnmcd (edited December 21, 2000).]

Not at all... The history of Europe is and has been in turmoil, specially when the new continent was discovered.
The rushing across the Atlantic ocean had many countries "racing" to get TO the treasures, first.
It is not through many years of "land" defending and fleet sending that these countries had to sustain to RULE the others, but rather in the sharing of negotiated territorial influences by means of war and pioneering settlements.
Much to their surprise, they weren't alone (England and France) but also accompanied by the Spanish, Portugese, Vikings (oh yes, they were the first from Europe) and many more (How do you explain the pyramid of Palenque in Mexico?)

Back in the 17th century, are we? The Mayas were flourishing in -4th... maybe even further in the past. Way before Copernic nailed the Orbits of the inner planets, Incas had "THE" Astronomical Chart engraved in granite and temple's walls.

Interesting conversation about historical facts.

Old December 24, 2000, 17:08   #38
Chairman Milo
Chieftain

Beast of War!!! That's the name of that movie...I've been trying to remember it for months and months. It's one of my favourite movies of all time...geez.