Old September 18, 2002, 00:46   #31
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Catt, right on target. I guess I'm focused on SP as a major milestone ASSUMING tech parity upon entering the industrial age, even with scientific civs about (they'll go for industrialization first).

My par course is almost the same as yours, except I skip industialization and medicine, and pick both up in trade.

So... Steam Power if you are at parity.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 18, 2002, 01:12   #32
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have never been able to get an AI to trade Nationalism to me. I guess I stink as a trader. They seem to think it is too important to part with until most others have it (without duress).
Old September 18, 2002, 02:45   #33
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I have never been able to get an AI to trade Nationalism to me. I guess I stink as a trader. They seem to think it is too important to part with until most others have it (without duress).
Well, I think I am a pretty good trader, but Nationalism is still VERY hard to trade. The AIs seem to value it VERY high (IMHO, unreasonably high) even much later in the game, when I am already having Replaceable Parts...
Old September 18, 2002, 07:42   #34
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

So... Steam Power if you are at parity.
It seems everyone goes for Steam Power as soon as possible. However, this thread was about techs you can sell, and no one appears to want to sell Steam Power.

On the issue of which techs to research; Industrialization, then Sanitation. I build a few extra workers to take the population pressure off of the largest cities, build Railroads, then rush Factories. By then it is time to build Hospitals. I can usually avoid the requirement for Nationalism with the judicious use of defensive Cannon, Cavalry and Muskets -- plus a little fancy foot-work in the diplomacy department.

I often sell Medicine, IF the price is right. The AI rarely rushes Sanitation and Hospitals anyway. Then I'll even sometimes give Medicine to the backward Civs. I get to feel like a humanitarian helping the poor primitives!

http://www.schweitzerfellowship.org/...schweitzer.htm
Old September 18, 2002, 13:49   #35
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Well, I'LL sell Steam Power all day long. It's nice to have the RRs already built when I "grow."
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 18, 2002, 14:58   #36
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Well, I'LL sell Steam Power all day long. It's nice to have the RRs already built when I "grow."
Old September 18, 2002, 17:41   #37
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ok I just asked for Nationalism trade with Aztecs. We have MPP/ROP and war against Rome. I normally refrain form these, but I was on an island and need a toe hold someplace. Anyway Aztecs are very polite and we made some trades and they asked for 1540gp, world map, incense and coal. Bare in mind that I am working on replacement parts and will soon not care about Nationalism. Others civs have it and want a ton as well. Anyway I got my first Roman city, so soon I will give them my gratitude in person. 5500 years of no war nearly killed me, no leaders to date, ouch. Oh this is on monarch.
Old September 20, 2002, 11:33   #38
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 08:53
I don't think there are certain techs the AI will never or rarely research.. just look at the different responses here. Try doing 'linear' research. If you have Invention, research Gunpowder, Chemistry, Metallurgy, Military Tradidion and sell those techs for the other ones you need instead of trying to keep up on a 'broad' basis. In short: Specialize your research.
Old September 20, 2002, 15:06   #39
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I disagree with those who think ecology isn't important. Even though I go for the spaceship victory, most of my production is military, and my biggest concern is defending myself and my spaceship, so after I get Computers, I go for Synthetic Fibers. There's plenty of time to build my spaceship later with all the GLs I get. One thing I do is, since I can only have 1 GL at a time is attck with elite units within 3 moment points of a city before the others, so I can turn them into what I need that turn, and try to get another one, I have gotten 4 in one turn without the Heroic Epic.
Old September 21, 2002, 23:14   #40
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 07:53
I only ever researched democracy my first game. I always research printing press and sell or give it to all AI. They will all research democracy. I'll have the revolution later. I'll also get a tech lead.
In the ancient era the only way to go is aim for a tech two or three levels up. The AI in the ancient era is out exploring like a mad thing. If you are a scientific tech aim for literature straight off. The AI seems to go for the lowest level techs in the ancient era. What the hell the wheel costs forty turns at that stage, so does monarchy or republic. What's the big picture and pick a target that you can trade, research something that builds on your given techs. It's a horrible lonely feeling when all the AI have all the first and second levels of tech and you have nothing to trade. Suddenly bang, you have it all (and if you are lucky a whole bunch of world maps to boot).
Old September 21, 2002, 23:17   #41
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 07:53
Even after the whole ap is discoverd keep selling your world map. The AI wants to know where the roads and railroads are, and they like you more the more you trade with them.