Old September 13, 2002, 05:41   #1
Lucarse
Warlord

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Effects Of Nuclear Weapons
Can anybody tell me about the effects of Nukes in CIV3

I don't usually use Nukes in a civ 3 war for all the obvious reasons, but i have already one the game and wanted to take out the annoying french and english in style.
I built 15 or so ICBMs and a whole bunch of boomers with tac nukes (god its anooying you can only load 1 nuke on a sub) two transports full of elite MA.

I nuked the respective civs back to the stone age (after landing my armour) one nuke in every city, and prepared to waltz through the continent but!!!!!!!! i found much reduced cities with garrison intact, some we not even wounded what the hell goes on! I have also met alot of resistance to forge a further beachhead i nuked a large concentration of enemy MA i came across hoping to destroy their army in one go... what happened sweet FA!!

Can somebody explain exactly what use CIV3 nukes are apart from creating large amounts of polution and halving city pops??.
Old September 13, 2002, 06:59   #2
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:54
Every Unit at Ground Zero and all adjacent Tiles of a Nuke has a Chance of 50% of dying.
I think all surviving Units are unaffected and don´t lose even one HP, but I am not sure about this.
Old September 13, 2002, 07:00   #3
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 02:54
Every unit and building has a 50-50 chance of dying outright. In addition, those surviving units take a lethal bombardment (I'm not sure on the exact numbers here, but from my experience (unlike you I use them regularly in most games) they seem to take out about 80% of defenders). When in doubt, drop 2. Also always do their capital and any good resource squares so that they can't rebuild.
Old September 13, 2002, 07:05   #4
Lucarse
Warlord

I figured out they are probably better for stunting over all growth like removing key rail/luxury and resource improvements.
Old September 13, 2002, 08:54   #5
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

These screenshots demonstrate the effective use of ICBMs: http://www.miccofl.net/Civ3/Joansglowingpersonality.htm
Old September 13, 2002, 09:01   #6
Lucarse
Warlord

I saw that last week Miccofl!!, i was trying to emulate the same result but was very surprised to see Joan still had forces left...alot left as it turned out.

What happened to the the good old nuking of an enemys navy i used to be able to take out most of an AI's navy in one turn :-(
Old September 13, 2002, 10:27   #7
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That was the only time I used nukes in Civ2. Every carrier had at least 2 on board.
Old September 13, 2002, 11:52   #8
Ludwig
Chieftain

Does anyone know if the effects of nuclear weapons are editable?

I think the current effects are too minor, and want to increase them.

I'm not just doing this because I want to waltz over the AI, either. I already do that. Part of it is because, on those highly limited occasions where I can induce the AI to use a nuke against me, it always ends up having next to no impact on the overall situation. I want these guys to be able to fry me.
Old September 13, 2002, 16:43   #9
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lucarse
i was trying to emulate the same result but was very surprised to see Joan still had forces left...alot left as it turned out.
It took 42 nukes to wipe out all of her forces so that means an average of over 4 per city. One nuke will not wipe out a large stack of units, and did you notice that ironclad - weak, but still floating? (SW corner) Have you ever heard of "test Able" and "test Baker?" They were the A-bomb tests done after WW2 using the old and captured ships from the war. Able was a surface detonation and many ships survived, Baker was detonated under water and very few ships survived. Perhaps the people who set up this portion of the game had this in mind when they made the nukes so unpredictable. It's either that or they just screwed up because nukes are uneditable as far as power goes.
Old September 13, 2002, 18:38   #10
Methril
Never Ending StoriesNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 01:54
Has it been sais by anybody if there going to fix the obvious problems with Civ3 nukes? (we need middle range nukes!
Old September 14, 2002, 10:23   #11
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Local Time: 03:54
The secret is surviving the first strike. They usually move in with heavy ground forces to wipe out your cities afterwards. They attack your capital with four or five ICBMs to get through air defense. The Navy is a little slow in this game, but they are great in a nuclear war because you always need some nuclear punch later in the war game. You also need a lot of workers, and good maps to slow their production. Also, if the whole world is at war, you have a better chance of victory.