Old September 15, 2002, 08:22   #31
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Knightblade pDM

I allied with Germany, Persia and America against India, but it turns out they were too busy with their own wars to really help me out. So I was on my own.
You didn't really want their help. What you want is for them to not trade with or help India. Which is what you didn't do the second time. The best reason for getting MPPs or alliances is to keep your enemy from getting help or trade. Well unless you are sure you can't handle it on your own.

Quote:
America and Persia ALLIED WITH INDIA!!!! Oh no!! I was fighting a war on two fronts, well three since America and Persia landed in different areas.
They must have done a better landing than normal. Most of the time the AI brings a much less than usefull quantity of troops. Often you can even block them by moving units around on the roads but that works best with railroads.

The problem with setting your research to zero is that you can't get the tech lead that way. If you had concentrated on getting cavalry you would have had it first. On regent as you were this not hard. Not hard on Monarch either. It only gets difficult on Emperor and even then only when things are allready going badly. The AI doesn't beeline for Cavalry. Once you have it you can trade tech on that line. Especially to your friends and to get allies. Its best not to trade Military Tradition though until you have everyone commited so it won't get traded to the enemy.
Old September 16, 2002, 00:19   #32
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Knightblade, I took it up to 1916AD... check the SAV. The highlight was definitely moving the palace to Bombay, which is also an IW city (up to 118 shields, without any plants except hydro from Hoover). Also, look at the cities I added to the original territory.

For anyone who feels terminally stuck behind in the tech race, this is a good example of how to come back, using non-AI-researched techs... by the time of the SAV, I had gotten ahead of all the AI civs by 3-9 techs, and was in the late industrial 'corridor' with significantly superior research and production.

As a side note, I was pretty impressed with Germany, although they have been getting bogged down in the war with America. India was rocking too, until I gutted the bastard.
Attached Files:
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 16, 2002, 00:46   #33
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:54
WOW!!!!! How in holy heck's name did you do all that?? LOL!!! Why can't I have your knowledge and expertise captured in a bottle and use it whenever I need it. You should be the Advisors in the game

I'll take a look at it now before bed. Thanks bud
Old September 16, 2002, 02:09   #34
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:54
Well, thanks to Theseus' extraordinary tips and progress that he made when he played, I took out India(two Transports full of Tanks), built SAMs, researched Fission and built the UN and Manhattan Project, and decided to go the Diplomatic route and won 4-2. Hitler was the other canidate and Shaka voted for him as well.

So I thank Theseus for this win as he played great(no doubt of course) while he had the .Savs. Thanks a lot bud. I wish I was half as good as you were at this