Old September 13, 2002, 16:57   #1
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 07:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Uranium? On the map? Natural Resource? No...
I though uranium was man-made? So why is it a naturally recurring resource in civ3? Same goes for Aluminium?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old September 13, 2002, 17:20   #2
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 23:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Uranium and aluminum are both naturally occuring elements. Plutonium is made from uranium, and does not occur naturally (I believe). Uranium is enriched before being put to use -- atoms of different atomic weights are seperated from each other (to a degree).

So that "No" in the thread title looks a little silly now. You might want to make less of a declaration about things in the future before you check your facts.
Old September 13, 2002, 17:20   #3
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 02:56
Both come from ores and have to be refined. I think that rather than try to cover all of these ore sources they just lumped them into the refined element.
Old September 13, 2002, 18:19   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yes. uranium is in nature. we refine it (like iron ore). same with alum.
Old September 13, 2002, 18:26   #5
HazieDaVampire
King

Aluminium is from iron, so is steel. Thats why i made modern ships need iron so that it stays valuble!
Old September 13, 2002, 18:47   #6
cgannon64
Chieftain

Plutonium is man-made---made from Uranium as someone said. Of course, uranium has since been phased out by plutonium and whatever is in an H-Bomb (what IS in an H-bomb?)

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Forever!
Old September 13, 2002, 18:52   #7
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433
Uranium and aluminum are both naturally occuring elements. Plutonium is made from uranium, and does not occur naturally (I believe).
Plutonium exist naturally too (in extremely small amounts). One of the Uranium isotopes will double decay into Plutonium naturally.
Old September 13, 2002, 19:30   #8
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cgannon64
Plutonium is man-made---made from Uranium as someone said. Of course, uranium has since been phased out by plutonium and whatever is in an H-Bomb (what IS in an H-bomb?)
Pl does naturaly occure as well. Usualy in small amounts near U.

U, Al, and Pl are all elements that are natural to the earth.

You can't make Al... since it's an element that is stable.

I'm still working on a machine that turns anything to Gold.
Old September 13, 2002, 19:47   #9
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 00:56
Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
Aluminium is from iron, so is steel. Thats why i made modern ships need iron so that it stays valuble!
Ahhh..... No.

Aluminum is not made from Iron(Fe 26 on the periodic table). It is a seperate element, Al (13 on the periodic table). It is refined from a variety of minerals containing aluminum oxides, including bauxite and a number of others. While iron might also be present in those minerals, its presence is not required.

A good starting reference for the elements, including Aluminum and Uranium is the Los Alamos National Laboratory's Periodic Table of Elements.
Old September 13, 2002, 19:55   #10
kmill25
Chieftain

Quote:
(what IS in an H-bomb?)
H-Bomb.

Hydrogen bomb.

But don't quote me on that.
Old September 13, 2002, 19:58   #11
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433
So that "No" in the thread title looks a little silly now. You might want to make less of a declaration about things in the future before you check your facts.
Actually, you'll see that I used question marks, i.e. suggesting that I wasn't sure and was asking a question. So that statement in your post looks a little silly now. You might want to make less of a declaration about things in the futue before you check your facts.

I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old September 13, 2002, 20:20   #12
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 00:56
Quote:
Originally posted by kmill25

H-Bomb.

Hydrogen bomb.

But don't quote me on that.
Correct.

The original atomic bombs were pure fission devices. All they really did was slap quantities of uranium or plutonium together to create a criticial mass for an uncontrolled fission reaction.

The Hydrogen bomb was the first fission-fusion bomb. The fission reaction is actually being used to power a far more powerful fusion reaction in a small amount of tritium(hydrogen isotope) contained in the center of the device. Thus the name.

I don't know that many of the nucs in the arsenals of at least the leading powers are pure fission devices anymore. Maybe some of the tac nukes, though I'm not sure what sort of tricks they pull in the Dial-a-Yield bombs. All of the ICBMs would be fission-fusion bombs these days. Much higher yields per weapon, with little increase in the size.

Pure fission devices would however be technically simpler to manfacture for a country attempting to bootstrap itself into the Nuclear Club.
Old September 13, 2002, 20:26   #13
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:56

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 13, 2002, 20:59   #14
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812

Actually, you'll see that I used question marks, i.e. suggesting that I wasn't sure and was asking a question. So that statement in your post looks a little silly now. You might want to make less of a declaration about things in the futue before you check your facts.

Actually......The "No..." make it looks like your saying "Is Clinton the current leader of America? No......he isn't."
Old September 13, 2002, 21:03   #15
zulu9812
King

*sigh* I suppose that's what I get for trying to inject a little humour into the procedings. Oh well...
Old September 13, 2002, 21:08   #16
Incubus0223
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky

Plutonium exist naturally too (in extremely small amounts). One of the Uranium isotopes will double decay into Plutonium naturally.
Hey guys, i just came over from civfanatics since their server is shut down for two days according to Thuderfall, but any hoo

This is correct, Plutonium does exist in nature but is not a stable element, ones that are include helium, argon, xenon, etc., with this it is when found in nature usually bonded with another element to cause it to be stable, or even more common the istopes (determined by # of neutrons) will have been decayed into another element, plutonium, with this and the rare amounts of uranium known, this causes it to be easiler man made. along with other elements such as americum, estienum, they all are physically possible because the number of protons they have can be neutralled out by the amount of electrons which are negative in the orbitals around the neclus,

along with the i saw someone mentioned and i think another person ansered the H-bomb question what it is is the use of hydrogen atoms to cause another nuclear reaction only far more stronger (i'm 95% positive its fission power with along with bits of fusion), fission is the physic(ally) possible way to created power, fusion isn't therotically possible altough we do have it, due to the law of conservation of energy/mass, although we do have it, a flaw of modern science !!!

Hope this helps

EDIT: Forgot to discuss aluminum

this is pretty much covered, aluminum is an element, as well as iron, an example of something that isn't an element is steel (mix of iron and carbon).
Old September 13, 2002, 21:49   #17
The Yankee
Settler

I thought Uranium was the last natural element (92). Those after that were scientist-made (up to Unununium or whatever the hell they call it).

Oh yeah, how is Rensselaer and Puget Sound to the guys in the area? I got my college apps coming up soon and my choices happen to include those areas.
Old September 13, 2002, 21:57   #18
cgannon64
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Bleyn
The Hydrogen bomb was the first fission-fusion bomb. The fission reaction is actually being used to power a far more powerful fusion reaction in a small amount of tritium(hydrogen isotope) contained in the center of the device. Thus the name.
Wow. I guess that is why the first H-Bomb test on Bikini Atoll (or wherever it was) vaporized the island?

Never underestimate man's power to find ways to kill his fellow man...
Old September 13, 2002, 21:59   #19
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Incubus0223

along with the i saw someone mentioned and i think another person ansered the H-bomb question what it is is the use of hydrogen atoms to cause another nuclear reaction only far more stronger (i'm 95% positive its fission power with along with bits of fusion), fission is the physic(ally) possible way to created power, fusion isn't therotically possible altough we do have it, due to the law of conservation of energy/mass, although we do have it, a flaw of modern science !!!

Hope this helps
Only if you intended to be funny. Fusion is not only done it was done by working it out theoreticaly. Everything had to be worked mathemeticly for the Hydrogen Bomb to have a chance of functioning.

The H-bomb has a mix of Deuterium and tritium not just one or the other. It a much faster and easier to produce form of fusion than goes on in the sun. Any fusion power reactor will have to use tritium as well as dueterium to be even remotely achievable in this century or at least the first half of it. Dueterium-dueterium will require MUCH higher temperatures and pressures an we have barely reached technical breakeven with Deuterium-Tritium.

Oh and Plutonium HAS been found in nature. In the debris of super-nova. Its half-life is short by astronomical time frames so no planet is likely to have any at least by the time it cools a bit.
Old September 14, 2002, 09:29   #20
Incubus0223
Settler

whoops thats what i meant fission what happens at nuclear plants, the shoting of neutrons into atoms to cause a chain reaction of the spliting of nucleuse at high amounts to creat energy isn't possible, mixed up myself, fusion what happens on the sun and in weapons using two different istopes of hydrogen and creating high amouts of external pressure forcing them to fuse and release energy is possible because, the offset is a helium atom, fission like we know has a waste we cannot do anything with because it has a bunch of ionized, having a negative charge(too many electrons), or radioactive, having a postivitive charge(too many protons) srry bout getting you guys mixed up

so in general

A-bomb fission bomb
H-bomb first fusion bomb at all with bits of fission tech.
Old September 14, 2002, 09:41   #21
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
This is correct, Plutonium does exist in nature but is not a stable element
True... but the same can be said about U.

In fact, technicaly, no elements are stable because Proton have a half life. I can't recall what that number was. Anyone can fill me in on that one?
Old September 14, 2002, 09:43   #22
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 03:56
lets practice for the SATs!

Uranium is to Plutonium as
Saltpeter is to ... GUNPOWDER
Old September 14, 2002, 09:43   #23
Thrawn05
King

Quote:

Wow. I guess that is why the first H-Bomb test on Bikini Atoll (or wherever it was) vaporized the island?

Never underestimate man's power to find ways to kill his fellow man...

The truth is, no. The island is still there and people live there now. They can't eat the fruits from the trees nor grow anything (it's all shipped), but can live there.
Old September 14, 2002, 09:46   #24
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007

Well, the guy that made that test was wrong.

Uranium is to Atomic Bomb as

Old September 14, 2002, 09:50   #25
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
True... but the same can be said about U.

Quote:
In fact, technicaly, no elements are stable because Proton have a half life. I can't recall what that number was. Anyone can fill me in on that one?
The decay of the proton has not yet been proven, but is a hot topic for experimental and theoretical physics right now. If the proton has a half-life, it is very, very long.

Uranium is considered the heaviest naturally occuring element, though all elements are created in varying quantities in super-novas. Plutonium is considered an artificial element as virtually all atoms of Plutonium on Earth are created in nuclear reactors.
Old September 14, 2002, 09:58   #26
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007

Correct.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
Uranium is to Atomic Bomb as
Atomic Bomb is a weapon, gunpowder is not; so the comparison is faulty.

Uranium is to Atomic Bombs as
Saltpeter is to ... Guns.
Old September 14, 2002, 10:49   #27
WarpStorm
King

Zachriel obviously did better on his SATs
Old September 14, 2002, 12:00   #28
zulu9812
King

Ming, could you please close this thread?
Old September 14, 2002, 15:02   #29
Ethelred
King

Quote:
whoops thats what i meant fission what happens at nuclear plants, the shoting of neutrons into atoms to cause a chain reaction of the spliting of nucleuse at high amounts to creat energy isn't possible, mixed up myself, .
What do you mean it isn't possible. Its done and there is nothing in physics that says it can't be done. I agree that you are mixed up.

The energy is there in the in the nucleus. U235 and plutonium are both sufficiently unstable that they spontaneously fission releasing energy. If hit with a neutron with the enough enery they can stimulated to fission. There is nothing in physics that says this is impossible. I am curiuos as to why you think otherwise.
Old September 14, 2002, 15:41   #30
Incubus0223
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred

What do you mean it isn't possible. Its done and there is nothing in physics that says it can't be done. I agree that you are mixed up.

The energy is there in the in the nucleus. U235 and plutonium are both sufficiently unstable that they spontaneously fission releasing energy. If hit with a neutron with the enough enery they can stimulated to fission. There is nothing in physics that says this is impossible. I am curiuos as to why you think otherwise.
It all goes according to theory of Conservation of Energy, we know that you can fuse things this releases energy, but then to break them apart also creates energy goes against one of the basic laws of physics, you basically could if you wanted to, fuse atoms together to make plutonium then use fission to break it apart and you have more energy, but the same thing, it hard to describe but its like we can create or destroy matter, so therotically we couldn't create or destroy

But yes we can do it and we have broken the law but therotically it was not possible energy either