New Woodstock 1 4.35%
The Tree Huggers 1 4.35%
Our Great Fungal Garden of Eden 3 13.04%
The Centauri Preserve 10 43.48%
The Banana Tree 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 19, 2002, 15:12   #31
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 05:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirov
But the problem is, how to do good terraforming without causing ecological disaster?
this is how

boreholes, but not over the "clean mineral limit". boreholes really are essential to having a productive base (which does not necessarily produce lots of eco damage)

the most important part is:
Quote:
Strategy suggestions:

As soon as practically possible force a fungal bloom in one of your bases. This means that once you start building Tree Farms and/or Centauri Preserve’s they will increase your clean mineral threshold.

The number of 'clean minerals' begins at 16. However, eco-damage unusually begins when a base is producing 12-14 minerals. The reason for this is that until you build Tree Farms and Hybrid Forests in a base, terraforming damage caused by roads, farms, mines, etc., subtracts from the number of 'clean minerals' available for that base.

So, when begin to see eco-damage, rather than moving workers to less mineral intensive tiles to avoid it, just let the base stay 'in the red.' Sooner or later, you will experience a pop.
Your 'clean mineral' limit has now increased to 17. A base that once was creating eco-damage at 12 minerals may now be 'clean.' Its limit has moved to 13.

But what do you do now? Do you act to reduce eco-damage at your bases or do you leave them alone to continue polluting? After all, each pop itself adds one to the 'clean mineral' limit.
The answer is that you should keep your bases polluting until you experience your second pop. That one, as with the first one, is worm free. It increases your 'clean mineral' limit by another 1, to 18.

From this point on, pops will have worms. In addition, too many pops in successive years may bring on Global Warming. Caution and control are both required.
Old September 19, 2002, 18:43   #32
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 08:00
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
(OOC You're getting quite out of roleplaying, DBTS... These suggestions are certainly wise, but can we stay RP ? /OOC)

I especially like the idea of a "large recycling factory base". This base would create many preserves and sell them all around the world for energy ! We would therefore have benefits, energetically and ecologically.
Old September 20, 2002, 07:55   #33
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

pande are you talking to me in your above post? i dont recall saying anything
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 20, 2002, 08:43   #34
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:00
I guess he meant TKG. But probably all P4ers look alike to him.
Old September 21, 2002, 05:22   #35
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
No, I was indeed speaking to TKG, who is not a P4 member anymore.
I was just saying that such posts should not be posted without a little roleplaying like : famous Pr. Blake and his fellow researchers have succesfully found a formula, etc... According to urbanists and the special UN commission appointed for this matter, it would be a very good thing to ... etc...