Old September 25, 2002, 18:32   #61
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 10:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG
Martin you know your stuff
Yeah fortunatly I have a German version of CTP2, so I saw this error as I installed Cradle 1.32. It helped me to copy all the the files in the English folder to my German folder, unfortunatly this problem must be caused by a missing text file. Maybe I have now the found the files that needs to be updated. Note these files are from Cradle v.1.32 so I don't know if Dave modified them in the meantime, but of course you can try they go into your ..\ctp2_data\english\gamedata\ folder just unzip the attachment there.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip cra_tips.zip (48.0 KB, 9 views)
Old September 25, 2002, 22:05   #62
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 05:12
Quote:
Pedrunn i just downloaded ur Advance from city capture and it says its 50% chance at the top of the SLIC file, have u just forgot to change it or something ???
It is 25% I just forgot to change that explanation.

At the end of the file you will see the line Random(4) wich means you have one chance out of four of getting the advance. Thats what really matter.
Note: You can play with the number between () to have the chance you want
-Jean Rostand
Old September 25, 2002, 22:54   #63
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 18:12
Quote:
Random(4)
Ummm....... you do know that means "a random number between 0 and 4", a 5 number roll? If you want 25%, use Random(3).
Old September 26, 2002, 07:31   #64
Pedrunn
King

Ooops

So I guess the change of my code is 20% and not 25%

**Pedrunn's dig his head in the ground**
-Jean Rostand
Old September 26, 2002, 08:23   #65
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 09:12
Ok am i the only one trying to play the new version of cradle or something. or am I just the one reporting the errors for every single other cradle player out there ??????

Anyway Martin I installed those strings but now get different error messages

Paths Error
CRA_messageicon.txt not found in asset tree

CRA_messageicon.txt line 56: Error
Could not open CRA_messageicon.txt

CRA_messageicon.txt line 56: Error
Missing number of filenames

Bold being the title of the message box
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old September 26, 2002, 09:45   #66
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 03:12
The times I dread are always right after the files are posted...

I did test to see if the all options of the game launched with the 1.33a files before posting the zip.

If there are any other players out there who are having the same problems as SMIFFGIG, let me know so I can figure out what is going on.

For first time players, you will need to have all the files under the 1.3 section to put Cradle on your system. Plus you will need the Activision patch and Modswapper.

Here is the list of Cradle files you need

- You will need Cradle 1.3, (zip filename cradle_allfiles04_08.ZIP) as this contains the bulk of the graphics.
- You also will need Cradle 1.33 (zip filename 133_update_09_17.ZIP) Think of this as a Cradle patch - it is about 6MB in size. It includes all the text files so you will not need any of the earlier versions (1.31 or 1.32).
-If you downloaded 133_update_09_17.ZIP before September 25, you will also need 1.33a (filename 133a.ZIP). This is a small file, but it included the files that will put Cradle on the Modswapper lists. This file addresses some minor problems with the city expansion code introduced in 1.33. This file will not work without the file (133_update_09_17.ZIP)

If you are downloading now, you will not need this file (filename 133a.ZIP) because the 1.33 main download has been fixed to include these files. Make sure you have unzipped in the correct directories, though if you are seeing the option in Modswapper, you probably are doing so

Finally, if you have done all this correctly, what playing option in Cradle are you attempting to use? (1.33a, 1.33a w/o City Xpansion, 1.33a Ultra-Gigantic, and so forth...) Try and launch another one of the options, so I can localize which option is causing the problem.

Post here with results - worst case, I will do a complete reinstall of CTP2 on my system and see if I have the same problem. But I do not want to have to do that if I don't have to.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old September 26, 2002, 10:06   #67
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

SMIFFGIG it looks you don't have the latest update installed, you need the 133_update_09_17.ZIP file, as Dave said. This file contains the CRA_messageicon.txt.

-Martin
Old September 26, 2002, 11:12   #68
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Cheers guys it working fine now (well havent started a game but i get to the civ screen) at last i CAN start a game, and Hexagonia i will get back to you on what I think, as this is the first time I have played the mod

Umm any suggestions on what game mode to play, i want to play into the future (sea cities, nukes etc)

Have you re-implemented any ctp1 future units War Walker or plasmatica for example

anyway i think ill read doc on the different game types and start a game
Old September 26, 2002, 12:54   #69
SMIFFGIG
Prince

Played my first game on ultra gigantic, medium and highest level barbs (maurauders or something) and those damn barbarians slaghtered me and the civ next to me, so i think ill start again on easier level of barbs.

If there was culture like civ3 I would have lost my other city too, from the civs city right next to mine, its boarders where almost right around mine
I hardly got to try the mod properly really, b4 i died but i got a little expansion outside my capitol b4 the barbs trashed it by taking my capitol
Old September 26, 2002, 13:53   #70
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Thanks SMIFFGIG, now I don't have to do the reinstall...

I do want some feedback on this version - a slight concern is that there was a suggested change by Martin in CRA_Goals.txt regarding Sieges. I made the change, but this may end up making the barbarians too powerful...This change is only part of 1.33/1.33a, and I may have to further adjust settings in CRA_strategies.txt to offset the effect.

ALSO - This is a recommended change in userprofile.txt and is noted in the playing options readme file (everyone should read all the readmes...)

Change
MaxPlayer=0
to
MaxPlayer=24

This will allow splinter civs to rise up from barb civs.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old September 26, 2002, 16:50   #71
SMIFFGIG
Prince

Great mod, been playing it (170 or more turns i think) and Im really enjoying it, im on ULTRA GIGANTIC map with second level barbs (which is fine for me, no stacks of 12 etc), 16 civs, medium and MaxPlayers is set to 24 . Its such a good mod BTW along with city expansion at VW mods even cooler. The thing you did on the diplomacy screen with the little picture (as in beta ctp2) is really good and the new diplomod is far better too (in the first game i got slaughtered i moved a guy of mine right next to there capital (on the other side was the barbs that i didnt know about at the time) and my ciy was build like 2 spaces away from theres by accident... anyway they asked for me to leave there lands and offered me agriculture advance to do so) now thats something ive never seen the AI do, 2 turns later the barbarians took there capitol. Then later took my capitol
Brings back memories of how good civ2 was for its day

minor bugs

For earthquakes disaster (or all disasters I think) there is a small typo take alook (a bug so small almost insignificant cause sentance is still understandable)

Caravan info says something like CARAVAN_INFO_SUMMARY or something

P.S. Playing on medium and so far I have every wonder, do they make more of an effort on harder modes (they do start building wonders but so far ive always beat them)
Old September 26, 2002, 17:57   #72
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Ummm....... you do know that means "a random number between 0 and 4", a 5 number roll? If you want 25%, use Random(3).
I thought random(n) was "a random number from 0 to n" - i.e. to make up for the stupid start-counting-at-0 thing, it could be anything from 0 to n-1 inclusive, but not actually n.

Maybe that's a whole load of rubbish though. Makes it fractionally harder to work out the proportions if it is 0 -> n.
Old September 26, 2002, 18:28   #73
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

The documentation says 0 to n, but I thought it was what IW said. Do a random(0) and see what happens (you might get a divide by 0 error if it's up to n-1).
Old September 26, 2002, 18:45   #74
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 08:12
IIRC, I got what IW said:

Code:
 INT Random(range)

Return a random number:  0 <= Random(range) < range.
Old September 26, 2002, 19:54   #75
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 18:12
You guys sure? I remember having a discussion with Locutus about a year ago, trying to get 50% chance by Random(100), and I thought it turned out that if you checked for <50, you got 0-49 & 50-100? A jump of 101. I honestly can't remember the exact details though. Oh well, just have to change my codes then eh?
Old September 27, 2002, 01:45   #76
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

Notes.

Have downloaded 133a over 133 and playing no problems, including continuing a pre-existing game.

However, there appears to be a problem with visible wonders. I have built 3 wonders and they are not appearing on the screen, Aristotle, Olympics and Spartan Phil. All of these were rushed, Aristotle by switching from valley of Kings and the others with Gold when they had about 4-5 turns to go. Others such as stonehenge, Hamma, Temple of Solomon, Lighthouse have appeared. I am sure that I did not rush these.

Also, I am not sure but it seems upgrades are not always occuring. I discovered Composite archery in a ruin and did not get an upgrade message for archers. When I researched Hypaspist in the normal way, I was able to upgrade all my warriors, but not hoplites? Wondering if this is right.
Old September 27, 2002, 03:46   #77
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 20:12
Modswapper question
Does anyone know how to change the order in which the mods appear on the modswapper selection list? It would be nice to be able to group all the cradle mods together.
Old September 27, 2002, 04:19   #78
SMIFFGIG
Prince

I Just thought!!!!

How come IW's natural wonders isnt in the latest version of Cradle?
Old September 27, 2002, 07:25   #79
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
I thought random(n) was "a random number from 0 to n" - i.e. to make up for the stupid start-counting-at-0 thing, it could be anything from 0 to n-1 inclusive, but not actually n.
** Pedrunn's digs his head out **

Quote:
All of these were rushed, Aristotle by switching from valley of Kings and the others with Gold when they had about 4-5 turns to go. Others such as stonehenge, Hamma, Temple of Solomon, Lighthouse have appeared. I am sure that I did not rush these.
There are actually only 15 wonders that appear in the map.
-Jean Rostand
Old September 27, 2002, 10:42   #80
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by stankarp However, there appears to be a problem with visible wonders. I have built 3 wonders and they are not appearing on the screen, Aristotle, Olympics and Spartan Phil. All of these were rushed, Aristotle by switching from valley of Kings and the others with Gold when they had about 4-5 turns to go. Others such as stonehenge, Hamma, Temple of Solomon, Lighthouse have appeared. I am sure that I did not rush these.
Not all wonders create a tile improvement - especially if it is not a structure, per say...

Quote:
Originally posted by stankarp
Also, I am not sure but it seems upgrades are not always occuring. I discovered Composite archery in a ruin and did not get an upgrade message for archers. When I researched Hypaspist in the normal way, I was able to upgrade all my warriors, but not hoplites? Wondering if this is right.
Archers do not upgrade there - Both Archers and Composite Archers upgrade at Crossbow - the reasoning being that I generally like to have a cheap and an expensive type of unit available for a player to purchase (this is not a hard and fast rule though...)

Same with Hoplites - they upgrade at Iron Working. There is a pdf file in the readme folder that spells out the upgrading sequence.

Here's a tip, DO NOT trade for an advance that upgrades a unit - the SLIC file will not fire up. And pray that you do not get it from a ruin either...
Old September 27, 2002, 14:23   #81
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

Gotcha
Old September 27, 2002, 14:25   #82
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

Hex,, good thinking about the cheap unit, I can remember in past games thinking how upgrades can leave U short of men sometimes.

One Question, Is Peter Triggs Diplomod compatible with the latest Cradle?
Old September 28, 2002, 10:54   #83
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

well, i did a complete reinstall of ctp2, apolytonpack, apolytontilefile, cradle 1.3, the 1.33 update and those extra graphics for cradle before starting my new game (cradle "bare") and still don't get any boni from the goods :-( (the tileimpland... and so on just don't appear on the map)

btw perhaps its a hin to martin: during my last game where i didn't get the boni neither, the only time i found that tileimp was under a deadcitytile
Old September 28, 2002, 15:22   #84
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
btw perhaps its a hin to martin: during my last game where i didn't get the boni neither, the only time i found that tileimp was under a deadcitytile
Unfortunatly I can't test it now, because I still have to play with v.1.32. I tested my file with this version and it did work. But I don't have any boni in the tournerment game either, wonder what Locutus did. Unfortunatly I trust him that he generated the map randomly and reloaded slic on turn 2 to avoid a delay on turn one.

So far I would check first Pedrunn's code. But first we have to test if it is the city expansion code. To test it just open the CRA*_script.slc files in your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\folder with any text editor of your choice e.g. notepad. At the end of that file you find a list of included files outcommend the line:

#include "CRA_CityExpansion.slc"

by changing it to this:

//#include "CRA_CityExpansion.slc"

Than start a new game and check with the cheat editor if the goods are improved.

-Martin
Old September 28, 2002, 16:07   #85
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

yep. it seems theres the problem, started one cradle game without cityexpansion and the goodtiles were placed.
Old September 28, 2002, 16:16   #86
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

ok, starting a game without ce, saving in the first turn, and loading the same game with ce (and reloading slic) isn't the solution a serious programmer should look for but will do for this weekends game
Old September 28, 2002, 18:17   #87
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
ok, starting a game without ce, saving in the first turn, and loading the same game with ce (and reloading slic) isn't the solution a serious programmer should look for but will do for this weekends game
Actual you don't need to save and reload just make the change before you start the game while in game play two or three turns, otherwise you will wait for the whole good improve process again. Than Alt+Tab out the game and you can remove the modification. You can leave open the file in the editor while you start your game. Afterwards the file is restored you can reloadslic. No need to quit CTP2. That is one advantage of the reloadslic feature.

-Martin
Old September 28, 2002, 18:45   #88
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

OK got another (somewhat minor) bug to report and this one actually goes back to 1.31. I'm suprised that this hadn't been caught yet.

Human players can move militias, even though the path shows up as yellow. This also makes sense that there have been reports about the AI being able to move militias - something that does affect gamebalance.

I've narrowed it down to CRA_partisan.slc, and have emailed Locutus to see if he can fix this. If not, I will be disabling the code.

I do hope that the issues with the city expansion coding can be worked out too.

(1.33a does have an option without city expansion too)
Old September 28, 2002, 19:23   #89
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

Hex, Human players can move militia but they only move 1 square per turn regardless of whether they are on a road or river. Also the unit cycle does not go to them so you have to remember where they are if U want to move them.

The net result is that U end up with slow units that dont move most of the time anyway, sounds like militia anyway, so I dont think it needs changing. The AI likes to bring the militia out of cities some times which means if U know there is militia in a stack, they can't charge down roads to attack U.

What about Peter Triggs Diplomod, is it compatible with Cradle 1.33?
Old September 28, 2002, 20:39   #90
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

well, now the game always crashes at the same turn :-(
any ideas?
as far as i can see nothing special will happen during that turn, reloading slic doesn't help