Old September 18, 2002, 16:33   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ATTN: Hawks AND DIA...Proposal.
We can all agree that parties can be a detriment to our nation, or a blessing.

We have both had fun slinging little barbs at the opposing party, but there are places where that is uncalled for, and some could care less.

I propose the creation of some kind of debate group between our two parties (Insert some creative name here). We will meet (make a thread) once very (insert time frame here) and discuss/debate/poke fun at the oppsing view/ridicule opposition/laugh at the hard headed Hawks/spit on the cowardly DIA on a prearranged topic. We can choose topics from recent events, and speak/role play to our hearts content within that thread.

This will be largely role playing in nature, no insults should be taken seriously within. Call me a baby killing grunt, and I will call you a skirt wearing coward. This will be the forum for it.

Advantages:

It will give us a chance to get our views out in a controlled manner that should be entertaining to ourselves, or the public.

It will provide a meaning for becomming a member of a party-role playing, not winning elections.

If done properly, it will be a fun, enlightening, and entertaining to all.

Disadvantages:

Choosing of topics. Both parties must agree, and have time to prepare arguments.

So, what say you party members?!?! Can we have heated Role Playing debates in such a manner? Will this not serve our needs better than party line voting (which some absolutely hate)?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 18, 2002, 16:43   #2
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 08:13
Perhaps we could use GF's tavern, The Banana King, a tavern would be an appropriate place (still cleaning off Thud's mud) for this type of discussion given that we're in the Middle Ages.

I recommend this because I actually saw a graphic for it somewhere in one of the threads and it looked pretty cool.

Is GF a Hawk or DIA?
Old September 18, 2002, 16:57   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
You could always ask an outsider such as myself to pick a relevent topic a week or so in advance.

Also, will you allow independants to sling some mud and duck behind miscelanious furniture?

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 18, 2002, 16:58   #4
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:13
If a neutral bystander is required to start and maintain the Debate Organization for administrative purposes (without taking sides on issues), I'd be happy to help. (EDIT: GodKing beat me to it )

I've made it known that I really dislike party politics, but I wouldn't mind them all in a role playing sense... I think this is a wonderful idea. (It could also be used for more serious debate between parties on general issues such as war vs peace without starting a brawl in another thread .

Very good idea, UnOrthO! I hope both parties can come together around this one issue long enough to get such an organization going. Once it's started, of course, then both parties can follow the more natural course of bashing their heads out within those threads .

-- adaMada
Old September 18, 2002, 17:00   #5
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Could independants be involved? I am now an independant but do support most DIA ideas.

Sell your photos
Old September 18, 2002, 18:03   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I am not a member of any party and the Banana King Tavern was originally created to be a thread for roleplaying if the need ever came up so feel free to use the idea, or if you wish me to start threads simply PM me the topic and I will throw it out to customers,

Old September 18, 2002, 18:59   #7
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

as an independant, i support this
as a standard citizen, i don't

i think parties add another level of interest to the boards, and aren't THAT detrimental.

however... i will argue that they have proven useless in the end
Old September 18, 2002, 20:49   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
as an independant, i support this
as a standard citizen, i don't

i think parties add another level of interest to the boards, and aren't THAT detrimental.

however... i will argue that they have proven useless in the end
hey, they got timeline elected, despite the fact that no one likes him

i like parties. they add some fun to the game, and my cartoons make no sense w/o them
Old September 18, 2002, 22:35   #9
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I don't think parties have done any harm, not near as much as the belly aching about parties being evil anyways. And they've actually amused me a time or two

Just to be clear too, Im also independent at this point, though thats not because I disdain parties, but because none would adequately represent my middle of the road style of play. The DIA comes off as anti-war even when its in our best interests. The hawks/UFC come off as pro-war even when its not in our best interests. Least thats my impression which maybe uneducated and all
Old September 18, 2002, 22:47   #10
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Uber's got a point
Old September 18, 2002, 23:16   #11
GePap
Emperor

I have to agree that I have never seen parties actually in any way cause a detriment to the game: many people may dislike the type of discourse arty feelings bring up, but that is a personal opinion, not fact.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 19, 2002, 00:25   #12
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 00:13
go party system!
Old September 19, 2002, 09:09   #13
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

By detriment, I mean that serious issues that the parties would discuss under, say DIA:insert issue, Then there are those who would not be interested in such because of the DIA lable. It has become less of an issue lately, though.

I just think that parties would be better suited to role playing than the current system of bickering and perty line voting. Role playing will allow them to discuss issues, but in a fun, organized manner.

Independants could be included, sure, but if parties are changed to a largely role playing nature, those of you who have left may see fit to return? Perhaps?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 19, 2002, 09:22   #14
Treestumpx
Settler

Local Time: 04:13
I think this is a great idea!

The biggest problem with an adversarial system of parties in a game that is voluntary is that people may take a topic a little too personally and stop or limit their participation.

This could help curb that while allowing arguments and debates to be constructive.
Old September 19, 2002, 16:34   #15
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I like parties because they create intense rivalry and debate.

Sell your photos
Old September 19, 2002, 17:00   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

If anyone actually decides to use the Banana King Tavern (right now only one person supports it - thanks =Ottomus=) it would need an Independent aligned Bouncer, or two, or three.
Old September 19, 2002, 20:54   #17
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 00:13
Wow
What a great idea for allowing both sides to clearly voice their views on the future of our empire. I hope a few ministers attend the debate.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old September 20, 2002, 12:21   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 10:13
hi ,

great , drinking and talking about our future at the same time , .....

lets go for it

have a nice day
Attached Images: