Old September 19, 2002, 00:49   #1
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 10:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Removal request of several flags
As the flags proposed were denied, I will ask for the equality that the following flags would be removed from Poly's flag collection as they don't fill the requirements stated by Dan in the response to the request for new flags. I ask the removal as that would mean all flags would be treated equally and there wouldn't be any double standards.
Quote:
Posted by DanQ
Second, the tribes of the Finno-Ugric languages are not recognized nations.
This means the Sami flag doesn't belong on Poly as no other tribal flags used by speakers of Finno-Ugric languages are accepted on Poly. Otherwise this would mean a controversial and discriminative situation, but also double standards. Refering to the same criterias that excluded tribal flags that aren't of recognised countries, I also demand the removal of the Aboriginal and Maori flags from Poly as they aren't flags of recognised countries or in general recognised flags.
Old September 19, 2002, 01:02   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 03:15
Rasbelin... You do know that they can do WHATEVER they want to since they own the site

You really should give it a rest... But I won't close this thread... I will leave it up to the owners to respond...
Old September 19, 2002, 01:23   #3
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Rasbelin... You do know that they can do WHATEVER they want to since they own the site
Really? I thought this site is no one's land. I already declared Livonian ownership of forum chatroom, but somehow Tass and Wombat burned the flag twice after I rised it to full mast in the chatroom. I then had to remove it permanently as Markos got there.
Old September 19, 2002, 02:10   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 04:15
A) You will get your 18 some odd flags added.

B) You will get these other flags removed.

C) This thread will get locked.

If I was a betting man, I would go with C.
Old September 19, 2002, 02:27   #5
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
If I was a betting man, I would go with C.
Good choice
Old September 19, 2002, 02:28   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:15
Another rebel, another cause, another disappointed revolutionary...
Old September 19, 2002, 03:57   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:15
Rasbelin,

If you want your flags, just draw them out yourself and use those as your avatar. What seems to be the problem?
Old September 19, 2002, 04:32   #8
Rasbelin
Emperor

If I use the falg as my avatar picture, I can't use my real avatar. It's that simple. And those flags would have IMHO deserved to be included, but as things went different, I'm demanding the removal of these 3 flags as it's an equality issue too.
Old September 19, 2002, 05:13   #9
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 09:15
Quote:
This means the Sami flag doesn't belong on Poly as no other tribal flags used by speakers of Finno-Ugric languages are accepted on Poly. Otherwise this would mean a controversial and discriminative situation, but also double standards. Refering to the same criterias that excluded tribal flags that aren't of recognised countries, I also demand the removal of the Aboriginal and Maori flags from Poly as they aren't flags of recognised countries or in general recognised flags.
The Sami flag has a semi-official status in Norway (probably in Sweden & Finland as well), kind of like the English, Scottish and Welsh flags have in the UK. Same goes for the Aboriginal flag in Australia methinks.

So if you remove the Sami flag, it's logical to remove other sub-national flags as well.

Last edited by Gangerolf; September 19, 2002 at 05:23.
Old September 19, 2002, 05:37   #10
Rasbelin
Emperor

Gangerolf, read my "Rasbey's flag initiative" thread. As a Swede you can read also those untranslated law paragraphs from the Swedish law. BTW, the falg doesn't have an official status in Norway. And the Aboriginal flag is just a tribal flag. So my arguement to remove the Sami flag too is leakproof compared to keeping it in the flag collection.
Old September 19, 2002, 08:53   #11
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 08:15
Get rid of all flags except the EU and US ones.

That'll get rid of all them fence sitters!
Old September 19, 2002, 08:56   #12
Clear Skies
Prince

The temptation to use the Libyan flag is incredible. You justcan't beat the imagination of those guys...

Wow. rasbelin, i think you've taken political correctness way way WAY too far. Tiny little flags on a website are now an equality issue....that worries me.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old September 19, 2002, 09:24   #13
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Another "who cares" issue...

Hey Ras, your giant title distorts the thread BTW.

What is all that stuff anyway?
Old September 19, 2002, 10:31   #14
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
I come from Pittsburgh. I want the Pittsburgh flag included. It goes back almost 250 years, predating most of these national or tribal flags. It looks cool, too.
Old September 19, 2002, 10:39   #15
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm curious: in the quote in the first post, what were the first (and maybe third, fourth, etc.) reasons given by Dan?

Also, I demand that we have a Burger King flag, since their hamburgers are clearly superior to McDonald's hamburgers.
Old September 19, 2002, 10:56   #16
Ming
lifer
Retired

Here is what Dan posted when he closed the flag thread that was going before this one...

Quote:
Rasbelin:

Thank you for your proposed suggestions for new flags to be added to Apolyton's listing. After a careful review of your suggestions, and your references, we have decided not to accept any of your recommendations at this time.

First, the states of the Russian Federation: as you said, they are autonomous which is half-way between independence and full-blown inclusion in Russia -- not country status. Second, the tribes of the Finno-Ugric languages are not recognized nations. As for Somalia, which you cite, it is a country.
Old September 19, 2002, 11:07   #17
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
If I use the falg as my avatar picture, I can't use my real avatar.
You can have them both pretty easily. Just edit your avatar, paste in the shrunken flag you want in the corner, and bam, you've got your custom flag and your avatar. (The upper right hand portion of your avatar is pretty empty anyway, it's not like you've gotta cover up that handsome mug to fit a flag in.)
Old September 19, 2002, 11:23   #18
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

it's a little bit like "If I can't have my flag, they can't have theirs"

let me see, who was it who said that last to me........
oh yeah, it was my baby brother
Old September 19, 2002, 12:11   #19
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62

Hey Ras, your giant title distorts the thread BTW.
I know what, but it wasn't me who set it. And mine isn't the longest one. I'm trying to come up with a shorter one that Markos can accept.
Old September 19, 2002, 12:13   #20
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger

Just edit your avatar, paste in the shrunken flag you want in the corner, and bam, you've got your custom flag and your avatar. (The upper right hand portion of your avatar is pretty empty anyway, it's not like you've gotta cover up that handsome mug to fit a flag in.)
I know that, but that wasn't the actual issue.
Old September 19, 2002, 12:16   #21
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Clear Skies

Wow. rasbelin, i think you've taken political correctness way way WAY too far. Tiny little flags on a website are now an equality issue....that worries me.
I don't take it as a political issue, but why on Earth should we have the Sami flag if the rest aren't accepted? That's a dumb double standard.
Old September 19, 2002, 12:17   #22
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I know that, but that wasn't the actual issue.
Well, maybe not, but the actual issue has already spawned several closed/deleted threads and at least one banning. I'm just saying that maybe it's time to cut your losses, because (double standard or not) this just doesn't matter.
Old September 19, 2002, 13:18   #23
Gangerolf
Prince

edit: double post

Last edited by Gangerolf; September 19, 2002 at 13:29.
Old September 19, 2002, 13:19   #24
Gangerolf
Prince

Rasbelin:

Quote:
The flag enjoys semi-official status in Norway, and is flown by the 'Sameting' - the (mainly consultative) assembly elected by the Sami people.
http://flagspot.net/flags/saa.html

Quote:
Det samiske flagget er godkjent til bruk for offentlige bygninger og eiendommer eller bygninger og eiendommer som for den vesentligste del benyttes av offentlige myndigheter.
http://www.samediggi.no/default.asp?...ID=230&lang=no

It is indeed an (semi-) official flag
Old September 19, 2002, 13:27   #25
Gangerolf
Prince

Abo flag
Quote:
The Australian Government has announced it will give formal, legal recognition to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags as a "Flag of Australia" from 14 July 1995. This recognition will be proclaimed by Governor-General Bill Hayden under S.5 of the Flags Act 1953. This means that Australia will now have five national flags given legal authority under the Flags Act:
http://flagspot.net/flags/au-abost.html

Seems to me it's more than just a tribal flag.
Old September 19, 2002, 13:44   #26
red_jon
NationStates
King

We should have the Yorkshire flag!
Old September 19, 2002, 13:59   #27
Level
Warlord

Local Time: 01:15
What about US Virgin islands, they are part of the US arn't they?

So what if your flags were not accepted, It does not mean you have to get rid of all the others.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old September 19, 2002, 18:26   #28
Rasbelin
Emperor

I didn't say getting rid of all the others, but of those 3 mentioned. And the arguements that the Sami flag would be official is much more wague than my arguements for the flags of autonomous Russian republics.

So the Sami flag doesn't belong here if the other flags that have exactly the same status (Livonia, Veps, etc.) aren't accepted.
Old September 19, 2002, 19:21   #29
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
So the Sami flag doesn't belong here if the other flags that have exactly the same status (Livonia, Veps, etc.) aren't accepted.
Again... There is only one rule.

"The Owner's Make the Rules"...

There doesn't have to be any reasoning behind it. Heck, they could decide that they didn't want an American Flag... and there would be nothing I could do about it. Their site... Their rules... How much simpler can you get than that

So here is a suggestion... go make your own site, and then you too can make the rules... until then...

Give it a rest