Old September 20, 2002, 00:09   #1
ElitePersian
Prince

Local Time: 08:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
stupid easy question
What is the hotkey that allows me to automate my workers to connect all my cities by railroad?
Old September 20, 2002, 01:11   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:18
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm not really sure it works that way... I typically build the initial connecting rail network myself, and then put most workers on Shift-A.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 20, 2002, 01:11   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:18
It's both in the Civilopedia and the manual.

AFAIR it's Ctrl-N (build network).
--Woody Allen
Old September 20, 2002, 02:42   #4
cracker
Warlord

Local Time: 01:18
Tiberius,

Yes CNTRL-N is in the manual and the sliveropedia, but it does not work to build railroads.

This is one of the worst hot key commands you could possibly use in most timeframes of the game, because the workers will do the stupidest things like hunt down every saltpeter resource within any range of your territory and spend time hooking up roads even though you already are in the middle of the industrial age and no longer need 11 piles of salt.

Then all the cntrl_N workers just stop and look at you with a dull look instead of building railroads.

The best commands to use to build railroads involve stacking a fairly good number of workers together in one stack and then using the Z key to zoom out to reduce the screen jumping plus expand your field of view.

Then use thye CNTRL-SHIFT-R command to select a each worker and tell them to build railroad to a far away city. The workers will follow each other in a nice progressive line to hook up the transcontinental railroad for you.
Old September 20, 2002, 03:04   #5
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:18
I didn't say I use it. I thought it builds railroads, too. Maybe its Ctrl-Shift-N ?

I usually automate my workers with Shift-A, and/or if I want to build some important rail connections (between big-production centers and border cities, for ex.) I use Ctrl-Shift-R.

Edited:
I've said that it's in the civilopedia because I know I've seen it there and also used it once or twice, but with all the workers running up and down, I have no idea what the result were. It was (in the pedia) something like "buid railroad network". Maybe it's something different than Ctrl-N.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 20, 2002 at 03:10.
Old September 20, 2002, 06:29   #6
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 08:18
I dont automate my workers for this task. Getting all my cities connected up by railroad is too much fun to leave it to the PC!

It's one of those little civ moments for me, before I turn my attention back to bonking heads
Old September 20, 2002, 07:22   #7
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 09:18
Tiburius is right about Ctl-Shift-R. But you still have to build the city to city connections one at a time. And that's not too much of a hassle.