Old September 20, 2002, 18:38   #1
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City doesn't grow...
Could someone figure out why this city won't grow past a pop 9? The food boxes are full, it is on a river and it even has a hospital. This has gone on for three turns in my current game, but the last time I played this scenario the same city in the same spot did the same thing for the whole game.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	why.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	25088  
Old September 20, 2002, 18:41   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:20
The game is modded so extensively it will be pretty much impossible to say from just a screenshot - I suspect someone would have to spend an awful lot of time in the bic file, and, assuming plenty of other cities grow beyond 9 citizens, might very well come down to "it's a bug in the scenario."

Catt
Old September 21, 2002, 01:42   #3
cracker
Warlord

I took one look at the screen shot and immediately thought of the Darwin awards.
Old September 21, 2002, 08:41   #4
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

I love those! But since my civ citizens are not blowing themselves up on their toilets or employing other creative means of self-immolation, I don't see the joke. Perhaps a vasectomy joke would have been more appropriate?
Old September 21, 2002, 11:10   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 05:20
Be glad. It could produce tons of pollution...
Old September 21, 2002, 11:21   #6
cracker
Warlord

Miccofl,

It's not your citizens that are being nominated for the award.

You and Gomer that created this mod are in the running.

An airport with three culture and one happiness. How do you rationalize that: Culture for the Hari Krishna's on the front sidewalk and more culture and happy face for the singing nun flying around in a 747 full of happy girl scouts going to a sing along in the sky.

300+ shields from a city that's half populated

47 other bonehead looking changes all in one city.

What's the purpose of the mod, to see if the data registers expold when you push production of food, gold, and shields out into orbital velocity without any requirement for strategic thought.

.... and then you hold up your hand like Horschak and say "Oo, Oo, Mr. Kotter what's wrong with my game here when this city won't grow." as if this was a normal sort of question in a normal mindest.

I keep waiting for Jack Nicholsen, Danny Devito, and the Chief to show up in character and make their contributions to this mod as well.
Old September 21, 2002, 19:51   #7
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
You and Gomer that created this mod are in the running.
I believe you meant to say “the Gomer.” In any case this response falls into the realm of insults and cultural debasement. Don’t worry though, no harm done since I am the “Gomer” that created the scenario.

Quote:
What's the purpose of the mod, to see if the data registers explode when you push production of food, gold, and shields out into orbital velocity without any requirement for strategic thought.
The happiness and culture modifications were made to “jump-start” the scenario. It starts in 1930 on a real world map with fully developed civs and cities set closely to what the real versions were at the time. With the standard rules it took to long for the AI to become stable enough to become a viable opponent and after 20 turns the scenario would just drag along, but with the modifications (and forcing deity level) after 20 turns everyone knows everyone, the world is unmasked, trade deals, treaties and alliances have been made and the world is at war.
I can agree that the picture, taken out of context with the rest of the scenario, seems absurd; however, I assure you the scenario is playable, reliable and enjoyable and the rules have been tested repeatedly with no such issues ever occurring before I added the cities. It happens to some AI cities too, so I guess all’s fair.

Quote:
and then you hold up your hand like Horschak and say "Oo, Oo, Mr. Kotter what's wrong with my game here when this city won't grow." as if this was a normal sort of question in a normal mindest.
Please define “normal mindset.”
Old September 21, 2002, 23:52   #8
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 08:20
Whatever, the point remains: how can you even ask for help on such an extensive mod. The plain answer is reduce some of the modifications and try again.
Old September 22, 2002, 01:19   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:20
It does sound interesting, but with any modding who knows what will be affected and bugs may yet exist even without mods. Good luck on getting it resolved.
Old September 22, 2002, 14:32   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 10:20
hi ,

a save would be intresting , ...

have a nice day
Old September 22, 2002, 17:11   #11
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

To use the save file you will need the whole file first. It is 16.5 MB, requires winace to decompress and it is available here: http://www.miccofl.net/Civ3/20th Century Mod vUS1.ace

Here's the save, and you have a nice day too panag
Attached Files:
File Type: zip city growth.zip (481.6 KB, 0 views)