Old January 6, 2003, 15:04   #271
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 08:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
The Jewish-Roman conflict was a relatively large one, and judea was a well-known province, for it's rebel spirit, But the civ game demands a civilization or a family of civilizations that existed for thousands of years ( Or is the US ). Just as the times there were a united India, or China were numbered, and just as the babylonian civ actually represents all of the Two-river civilizations, I propose a canaanite civ that would encompass the canaanites, the Hebrews, and the phoenicians, as well as their children, the Carthaginians and the Israelis of the modern age. I propose their strengths to be religious, for the hebrews' advances in theological and thus, phylosophical thinking, and commercial to represent the carthaginians' and their ancestors, the phoenicians' strength in commerce. Their leader could be Hebrew or could be carthaginian, these are all details. But they deserve a place in civ. (as many more civs do, btw. )
A good compromise, but I really want fiery Yahweh's chosen people in there. Sorry. They've just got so much good drama and bloodshed in their history.
Old January 6, 2003, 18:05   #272
XarXo
Prince

Um OK, Sorry.

About Israel in the game, what about include minorities in civs?
Old January 6, 2003, 18:17   #273
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
Um OK, Sorry.

About Israel in the game, what about include minorities in civs?
Isn't that what resisting and unhappy people you've conquered are meant to represent?
Old January 7, 2003, 06:23   #274
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 11:24
Actually, I'd rather start with hundreds of different tribes around 10000 BC, and then work my way towards space exploration, merging tribes, city states, etc. along the way.
Old January 7, 2003, 13:44   #275
XarXo
Prince

No, minorities related with the goodie huts, they never formed part of a civ and have special affinities to some civs.

I.e.: Incans or Olmecs.
Old January 7, 2003, 14:00   #276
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Actually, I'd rather start with hundreds of different tribes around 10000 BC, and then work my way towards space exploration, merging tribes, city states, etc. along the way.
I agree... that's the only way to make Civ really life like... because, really, are the "Babylonians" any better than the (currently "barbarian") Sumerians? The Sumerians came first... and how different are these people really than the Akkadians, Assyrians, and numerous other groups of the Ancient World Near East? Why single out the Aztecs and not have the Inca or Maya?

But you'd need a pretty damn fast computer to really make that happen...
Old January 7, 2003, 15:15   #277
Az
Emperor

I say, it would happen in Civ 5 or so. But they really have to beef up economics, change manufacturing, etc.

remember, we'd have processors that would handle it easily in about 4 years or so. It's not that much time, actually.
Old January 7, 2003, 15:23   #278
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:

I say, it would happen in Civ 5 or so.
Good Lord, I hope I'm married or something by that time and NEVER SEE ANOTHER VERSION OF THIS GAME THAT CONSUMES MY LIFE AGAIN!!!
Old January 7, 2003, 16:53   #279
Az
Emperor

Civ 3 hardly consumed my life. well, just a little bit .
Old January 7, 2003, 17:20   #280
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:24
No discussion of the Jewish-Roman conflict can be complete without including the Samartians.

And prior to Rome annexing Isreal, there was a conflict between the Syrian Greeks & Isrealis.

America is not the only civ that hasn't been around thousands of years:

Ethicly, France was a mixture of the Gauls that were present there and the Germanic Tribe of Franks that moved in, settled down and intermarried with the Gauls roughly around the 8th century AD.

England a mixture of the native Celts, tribes of Anglos & Saxons from Scandendia, and Normans, which eventually intermarried roughly around the 11th century AD.

Quote:
The Jewish-Roman conflict was a relatively large one, and judea was a well-known province, for it's rebel spirit, But the civ game demands a civilization or a family of civilizations that existed for thousands of years ( Or is the US ). Just as the times there were a united India, or China were numbered, and just as the babylonian civ actually represents all of the Two-river civilizations, I propose a canaanite civ that would encompass the canaanites, the Hebrews, and the phoenicians, as well as their children, the Carthaginians and the Israelis of the modern age. I propose their strengths to be religious, for the hebrews' advances in theological and thus, phylosophical thinking, and commercial to represent the carthaginians' and their ancestors, the phoenicians' strength in commerce. Their leader could be Hebrew or could be carthaginian, these are all details. But they deserve a place in civ. (as many more civs do, btw. )
Old January 7, 2003, 17:21   #281
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn

America is not the only civ that hasn't been around thousands of years:
Well put.

Look in the Civilopedia itself if anyone disbelieves this statement!!!
Old January 7, 2003, 17:58   #282
Az
Emperor

I know that, jon. I've said that my preference would be to have tribes mixing with each other, and falling to pieces, like in real life. Read my post in the 'Ukriainian civ' thread in this forum.
Old January 8, 2003, 11:17   #283
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Here, perhaps, is the problem with an Israel Civ, a Scot Civ, a Maya Civ... in my opinion, also with many Civs in PTW, especially the Scandanavians and Celts...

These Civs grow - in the game - to be giant, long lasting empires! However, this never happened in real life.

It always bothers me, as a "history nerd," to see the Chinese suffering while dominated by the Spanish and Scandanavians, to name but one of very much totally absurd combinations...

Someone needs to get the AI right where these Civs either are "happy to be small" (you could add the Swiss this way) or expand so rapidly that it's disastrous to their own Civ.

Actually, the Aztecs DO seem to do that a lot, and the Zulus. But the Mongols always seem to make it through to the end, unless the player his/herself takes control and wipes them out. In real life, even though their empire was huge, it lasted an incredibly brief time.

I don't know... the AI is pretty impressive, in my opinion, but maybe some more tweaking. What did the Mongols and Scandanavians care about OTHER than battle (and a little looting)? Historically, not much. Should they really be building Shakespeare's Theatre in Civ?
Old January 8, 2003, 12:43   #284
Az
Emperor

I think they should. They should start with some basic culture, that would be the stem of their future cultural developement. Under certain circumstances, I think it would be ok that they'd build Shakespear's theatre.

I would like the corruption to heavily depend on amount of centralization that you enact, in the way that there is always of maximum efficiency for different types of construction, that would consider the amount of communication technology: at the beginning, max de-centralization is best, but nothing really holds the state/tribe together. After you invent certain communication techs, centralization would become less inefficient in general economy, and would be actually better in terms of national projects and certain products.
Old January 8, 2003, 12:53   #285
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
I think they should. They should start with some basic culture, that would be the stem of their future cultural developement. Under certain circumstances, I think it would be ok that they'd build Shakespear's theatre.
Well, I do love to see weird cultures become huge and powerful in Civ, as they never did in real life... just not all the time. That the Scandanavians should always have a huge, impressive Civ, really bothers me. (That's what generally seems to happen in my Regent games)

Quote:
I would like the corruption to heavily depend on amount of centralization that you enact, in the way that there is always of maximum efficiency for different types of construction, that would consider the amount of communication technology: at the beginning, max de-centralization is best, but nothing really holds the state/tribe together. After you invent certain communication techs, centralization would become less inefficient in general economy, and would be actually better in terms of national projects and certain products.
A fine idea. Why are massive telephone installations neglected in Civ? Furthermore, a great small wonder would be the National Mail Service... think about it... all sorts of potential benefits!

The constant struggle between centralizers and de-centralizers, though maybe too abstract to represent in Civ, should at least be considered. It's one of the most important and constant in history! (barons vs. kings, states vs. federal gov't, cities vs. capital cities, popes vs. rogue priests, etc.)
Old January 8, 2003, 12:56   #286
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 10:24
Quote:
hi ,

who knows , maybe we get 64 civ's with CIV IV , .....

have a nice day
Old January 8, 2003, 14:22   #287
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Yahweh Sabaoth,
i don't agree with you. the whole idea of civilization is to write your OWN history. imagine if the vikings would have started in a hot, dry, sea-less region or the egyptians down near the south pole in a tundra-region... and so on.

the civs in real life didn't choose where they started. and they had to work from that point on, under the given circumstances.

the only thing really unflexible are the traits and the UU, but that was done for playing purposes.

if the game would make it impossible for the celts to rule the world and impossible for the chinese to be weak, why should anyone play with the celts?
and if you'd want perfect realism, ICMBs should be disabled until at least year 2003, because 'till now, there hasn't been a nuclear war yet. also, nearly all civilizations would have to be replaced, because 4000 BC they didn't exist yet. and the americans would have to appear sometime end of the medieval age.

i know this all sounds trivial, but i basicly want to say that the more real-world based restrictions, the less fun it is to play
Old January 8, 2003, 14:33   #288
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
i know this all sounds trivial, but i basicly want to say that the more real-world based restrictions, the less fun it is to play
No, it doesn't sound trivial, and I mostly agree with you.

It's just that I think some of the Civs are a little... unbalanced. For example, the Scandanavians. They weren't even united. If you could rule one specific group of Vikings, that'd be one thing... but to see them rise, consistently, to a mighty empire because of their great UU and their expansionist trait is always a little upsetting. The Zulu, too.

But on the other hand, I do like the "weirdness" of the game... for example, when a powerful Iroquois Empire joins forces with India to attack my globally dominant Chinese empire... etc., etc. That IS one of the best parts of the game.

I guess the only Civs that bother me becoming "great powers" consistently in the game would be the Scandanavians, the Iroquois, and to a lesser extent, the Mongols and Zulus.

Everyone else... it makes sense when they have their "day in the sun" late in the game.

And I have nothing against people of Scandanavian, Zulu or Iroquois ancestry.
Old January 10, 2003, 06:08   #289
Silpy
Chieftain

Dont trust the Civpedia! Perhaps it is because it is my country, but I found the decription of post-war England rather poor. I had to re-do it for my modded version. If you dont beleve me, look at it. It jumps from victory in WW2 to Tony Blair, missing out our 'specal relationship' with the US, decolanisation and several silly wars (Falklands, etc). Perhaps people form outher countrys find it the same with their nations Civpedia notes....
Old January 10, 2003, 10:48   #290
Az
Emperor

You can't put the entire history there. It was a bunch of highlights.
Old January 10, 2003, 11:11   #291
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Well, that's true, the Civilopedia is not where I'd go to get research on a country but it's not the end of the world. I find their depiction of Mao atrocious, but still, you got to give them SOME credit... they could just crank out some nonsense... I'm willing to bet that the Civilopedia contains more history than most Americans' minds!
Old January 11, 2003, 03:02   #292
High_Lord
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:24
I have the History Channel

Watching it makes me want play Civ
Old January 11, 2003, 08:16   #293
Az
Emperor

I could have the history channel, but my folks are cheap.
Old January 11, 2003, 11:13   #294
Edan
Warlord

Local Time: 04:24
Quote:
Originally posted by High_Lord
I have the History Channel

Watching it makes me want play Civ
Admit it, what doesn't make you want to play Civ?
Old January 12, 2003, 06:34   #295
Az
Emperor

for me, It's most things.

+1
Old January 12, 2003, 13:45   #296
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

what traits should the Israeli civ be , ....

have a nice day
Old January 12, 2003, 13:48   #297
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

definetly religious

otherwise
- militaristic if you consider modern day israel
- commercial if you consider that jews are famous for banking families across the world.
Old January 12, 2003, 14:48   #298
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
definetly religious

otherwise
- militaristic if you consider modern day israel
- commercial if you consider that jews are famous for banking families across the world.
hi ,

, well in some mods some civ's have more then two trait's , should this be the same in this case , ....

have a nice day
Old January 12, 2003, 14:55   #299
sabrewolf
Emperor

this thread is not about a specific scenario, it's about the general inclusion (if or if not) of the hebrew/israel civ.
so firaxis or whoever decides would have to agree on just TWO traits.
Old January 12, 2003, 14:59   #300
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
this thread is not about a specific scenario, it's about the general inclusion (if or if not) of the hebrew/israel civ.
so firaxis or whoever decides would have to agree on just TWO traits.
hi ,

why wait until they bring it in , a MOD would be good , .... a MOD of one civ , well why not , ...

have a nice day