Old September 24, 2002, 01:52   #1
Tarquelne
Warlord

Local Time: 03:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Whats up?
Assume that someone joining GTZ got deluged with games and decided to stop playing Civ3 for awhile.

Also assume that someone became so disgusted with _another_ forum - not this one certainly - that the someone stopped coming he.... errr.... stopped going to that _other_ forum for quite awhile.

Finally, assume that someone doesn't feel like going through the bazillion posts made since I... err... someone left and reading about what's going on.

If that person (_possibly_ me) asked "What's up since 1.17 or so?" what would you say?

And anyone ever find a difinitive answer on the number of not-in-port-or-already-crippled warships sunk by subs in WWII?
Old September 24, 2002, 08:43   #2
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:28
Quote:
If that person (_possibly_ me) asked "What's up since 1.17 or so?" what would you say?
1.21f and 1.29f, go with the 1.29f as it is a big improvement over previous versions.
Old September 24, 2002, 08:57   #3
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 09:28
Well, if you generally disliked 1.17f, you are unlikely to be happy with 1.29f either - there were no major changes done, mostly fixes, adjustments, and refinements. But if you minded just some minor glitches, you should give 1.29f a try. With this patch, the game has matured, as far as I am concerned.
Old October 5, 2002, 12:55   #4
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 08:28
Amused by how common the feelings are about the unnamed forum are hereabouts. 1.29f is a lot better imho. From what I have read it is the last patch firaxis plan to release, which is a pity as a few annoyances still remain.
Old October 5, 2002, 20:05   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:28
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Tarq, poke around in the recent threads... Arrian gave a pretty good summary of updates.

Also, just read the FAQs for 1.21 and 1.29. That'll give you the obvious stuff... AI tweaks and whatnot seem to come out here and at CFC.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 5, 2002, 23:36   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I would not be shocked to see a patch later for PTW.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:40   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Another patch is all but guaranteed...

1) Anybody think PTW will be the only add-on for Civ3?

2) With the consolidation of game companies, the asset value of franchise games only increases. Even if Infogrames ever wants to sell Civ, the installed customer base is a major component of asset value. Ongoing 'touch' with the customer base = dollars. We are the magnifier... you think CGW, et al, don;t check out forums?

In other words... whether you think so or not, Jeff and Soren and Mike and Dan (and I know I'm forgetting a few, but it's late, sorry), your price tag is attached to the community, i.e., 'poly and CFC. Yeah, there's general marketing, and haggling with the game rags, but it's a new world. Read "Net.Gain."
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 6, 2002, 02:17   #8
vmxa1
Deity

Well Civ2 had at least two scenario type add ons and then a gold version for the MP and then Test of Time, so anything can happen.
Old October 6, 2002, 02:53   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:28
I'm pretty certain there's going to be at least one more add-on

on topic: Personally , the change from 1.17 to 1.29 is rather big IMO and makes a far better game
Old October 6, 2002, 04:01   #10
vmxa1
Deity

Yes, 129f make the game much better.