Old September 27, 2002, 11:54   #31
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I guess I'm too used to playing games where resources are set to their maximum amount.

I prefered that because then it forced players - well specifically my brother but others I also played against - to attack if they want to win. With limited resources they'd just go on the defensive and then assault once I'd run out of resources - they were very good at make defences that were resource efficient

With effectively unlimited resources I'd just build 20 barracks and go over the top every few minutes. It made the game much more unstable but resolved games more quickly.
Old September 27, 2002, 12:17   #32
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:33
I always preferred the Total Annihilation resource system, where you could bunker down if that's what floated your boat but attrition alone wouldn't win the game for you.
Old September 27, 2002, 12:19   #33
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I've never played that, how did it work.
Old September 27, 2002, 12:42   #34
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
I've never played that, how did it work.
I don't think that the resource nodes ever ran out. It's been a while sice I played it last though.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 27, 2002, 13:25   #35
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:33
There were two resources, metal and energy, and they never ran out. F'rinstance, once you put down a solar plant, that plant would produce a set amount of energy for each 'tic until it was destroyed. There were strategic resource points (thermal vents for geothermal power plants, metal deposits where your mines functioned more efficiently), and a few scattered resources for those who wanted to go after them (vegetation that could be destroyed and turned into energy, rocks and destroyed materiel that could be reclaimed for metal). Different structures produced resources at different rates--solar plants were pitifully slow at producing energy, geothermal plants were respectable, and fusion plants produced energy at an ungodly rate. You could bunker down, but unless you went after your opponents' resource production you would never win through attrition alone.
Old September 27, 2002, 16:36   #36
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Thank you all for your responses. I will try those tactics and comments the result

When we play on a plain map (without diferents altitude leves), I am always quick enough to do a 'Zealot Rush', but when I need to use the Protoss transport (for "jump" over altitude leves), this rush is not very usefull.
Old September 27, 2002, 18:43   #37
DinoDoc
Deity

Here's a good build for destroying your Terran friend:

Begin by building 7 probes. With the 7th probe build a pylon. Build 2 more probes and with the 9th probe build a Gateway. Build another probe and with the 10th probe build an assimilator. Build 2 more probes and put both of them on minerals. When you have 200 build a Cybernautics Core. Then when your Assimilator is done take 2 probes off of your minerals and begin to get gas with them. Then build 2 more probes and put them both on gas. Keep building probes for minerals. Build 1 Zealot and begin scouting with it. Build another pylon and then get either 2 or 3 Robotics Facilitys, then a Support bay. Make sure you have enough pylons. If you get 2 Robotics Facilitys build two Reevers then one Shuttle. If you get 3 Robotics Facilites get 2 Reevers and a Shuttle (obviously). In the Support Bay begin upgrading to be able to have 10 Scarabs. As soon as your Reevers come out begin to build Scarabs. When your Shuttle comes out immediately load the Reevers in and then go drop them. If this fails I would suggest getting a total of 5 Robotics Facilities and expanding, if you plan on continuing to go Reevers. Then in 4 of the Facilities build Reevers and in 1 of them build Shuttles.

Given that you don't have any patches, this should work.
Old September 27, 2002, 18:52   #38
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sounds insteresting, very interesting

Thank you, I will try it!
Old September 28, 2002, 01:08   #39
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
/me pats himself on the back for bringing up the big bad reavers

Old September 29, 2002, 03:26   #40
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 08:33
Quote:
You're the reason why I hate playing on Big Game Hunters.
BGH sucks major ass.

My favorite map was the Brood War map "Primeval Islands". I tore up everyone as Protoss.
Old September 30, 2002, 11:03   #41
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
BGH sucks major ass.
It was Blizzard's only major mistake with the game.

How did the build work for you, yaro?
Old September 30, 2002, 16:39   #42
yaroslav
Emperor

Well. My friend doesn't know too much about Reavers. Also the templars show a good (very good) weapon to destroy the marines that protect the tanks. Without marines, I can attack many tanks from air

Only problem: give marines near enough to psi-storm the marines.

BTW, My friend is going to buy a copy of Brood War, so I hope in the future I can use those deadly units that I read about on this thread

Again, thank you all for your supporting
Old October 3, 2002, 11:39   #43
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 11:33
Log on to battle.net if you want to learn how to play. There are a lot of public games, the skill level in them isnt really high but its good to start there.

If you just want to beat your friend:
Never stop building probes! Use all the minerals you get, units are better than money. Remember to expand.