Quote:
They've all been of the same woman.
Who is she? I think I'm in love...
Old September 27, 2002, 13:32   #32
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 08:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well it seems to be manic depression, overly sad - overly happy rounds...

At least what I have heard, never really paid attention to that. What state of mind is it?

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old September 27, 2002, 13:42   #33
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
Had a bout of clinical depression at 19 caused by hormones. Was given some sort of anti-depressant but I'm not sure what it was and I'm uneasy about trying to find out.

Been taking St John's Wort for years to tackle SAD.
Old September 27, 2002, 13:48   #34
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 04:37
Quote:
Who is she? I think I'm in love...
I'm with you on this. You'll have to fight me for her...

On topic, no drugs for me. My doc put me on Paxil for a week, but that was because he was too stupid to tell the difference between depression and a sleep disorder...
Old September 27, 2002, 13:49   #35
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
What is bipolar depression?
Bipolar disorder causes severe mood swings between depression and mania.

Quote:
It's not like medication helps anyway. It just takes away the symptoms, not the causes. Change your view of life if you have a depression.
The causes (in my case and in almost all cases of bipolar disorder) are a chemical imbalance linked to my genes, and there's not a whole helluva lot I can do about my genes.

Last edited by loinburger; September 27, 2002 at 14:03.
Old September 27, 2002, 13:51   #36
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
there's not a whole helluva lot I can do about my genes.
You'd be amazed what you can do with a basement genetics lab and a stay in a Holiday Inn Express. That's how I got rid of my flippers!
Old September 27, 2002, 14:01   #37
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Never had medication, had a lot of counselling, but there seems to be only so much counselling can do...I mean, I have learned to cope with some of my problems very effectively, but haven't solved them though, although medication certainly wouldn't help in my opinion. The problem I have seems to be self evaluation, I tend to see myself in a very poor light and don't feel quite part of humanity if that makes sense, which really saps my confidence and kills any chance of gaining any.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 27, 2002, 14:14   #38
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 10:37
i forgot to mention that besides some selfishness ( a nouveau concept where i come from) cigatteres and alcohol (in moderation) are also there.

some people consider them drugs so there you go.

i'm a lot like sprayber as to how i view the world.
Old September 27, 2002, 14:30   #39
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
/me is considering switching a forum.
Old September 27, 2002, 14:33   #40
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

I never used any drugs, and dont plan too. People have been having same problems we do for thousands of years and they managed to go without chemicals. I m no better and no worse then my ancestors

It really surprises me to see such big consuption on apolyton I had not idea.

I also dont smoke, and I drink only in company.

I dont know about depression and stuff. I have the attitude that I am not the center of known universe, I think it helps if you dont take yourself death-seriousely
Old September 27, 2002, 14:37   #41
Provost Harrison
Deity

I don't think the nature of modern society helps the mental health of people...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 27, 2002, 14:40   #42
LaurenX2C
Settler

I have been on Prozac, Depakote, Ritalin, Paxil, Lithium, Repressitol, And Welbutrin. None helped my depression and mood swings. But recently ive been taking Nuerontin and Zoloft. It keeps me square (sort of)

Ive been more or less depressed since a family member died years ago. Its been building up since. I hate it.

Counseling didnt help me. Just made me cry (Do I really need someone to tell how pathetic and inactive I am???)
Old September 27, 2002, 14:43   #43
LaurenX2C
Settler

I hate panic attacks too. I get those alot.
Old September 27, 2002, 14:45   #44
Provost Harrison
Deity

I had a panic attack in my sleep last weekend, as I described on the CGN thread, I woke up gasping for breath...

Old September 27, 2002, 14:46   #45
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
People have been having same problems we do for thousands of years and they managed to go without chemicals.
I agree, as long as you count "going stir crazy and having to be locked up" as "managing to go without chemicals."
Old September 27, 2002, 14:55   #46
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Ah I see. Bipolar = manic. I thought so, but wasn't sure.

Okay so for purely genetically caused chemical imbalances medication might be the only answer. But most/many depressions are largely caused by environmental factors: problems with the people around you and/or some unhappiness-causing view of life. Those can't be solved by medication. I also believe many "environmentally depressive" people want to think their problems are genetically caused. Thay way they don't need to do something about it themselves. They just need to take some medicine, the easy way out.

VetLegion.
Old September 27, 2002, 14:57   #47
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

They've all been of the same woman.
I know. I was referring to your use of different pics.
I like Ashley Judd too. I even thought of going to the CART race in Montreal to see if she'd be there.
Dario doesn't do it for me.
Old September 27, 2002, 14:59   #48
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

If a dying family member is the cause, LaurenX2C's case is an example where medication only takes away the symptons, and doesn't solve the problems.
Old September 27, 2002, 14:59   #49
LaurenX2C
Settler

Well I have them when Im awake sometimes. My face just becomes warm and my fingers and toes cold. You think your hearts about to stop beating and you breath heavy. Its a really stupid problem to anyone who doesnt have it. It very much disrupts your life. Its no joke.

I go look in the mirror and make faces at myself. Reminding me how stupid the thing is.
Old September 27, 2002, 15:00   #50
Provost Harrison
Deity

Do you live up to your name Maniac and require constant intravenous medication?

Old September 27, 2002, 15:01   #51
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Okay so for purely genetically caused chemical imbalances medication might be the only answer.
They just need to take some medicine, the easy way out.
Bipolar disorder is almost always largely due to genetic causes, while clinical depression may or may not have genetic causes but is often more due to environmental factors. For clinical depression, medication is used (or ought to be used) in order to help snap the person out of depression, after which psychotherapy can address the causes of the depression. Psychotherapy alone usually doesn't cut it, since depression is usually a vicious circle--it is extremely difficult for somebody who is depressed to make the necessary lifestyle changes that will end their depression. Drugs alone usually won't cut it either, since like you said they usually only address the symptoms of depression and not the causes.
Old September 27, 2002, 15:05   #52
LaurenX2C
Settler

Bi-Polar disorders also lays dormant in people until there is a serouis issue that brings it out. I can also attribute my crazyiness to being teased alot in school and never getting along with anybody.

Depression is the worst thing ever. You dont feel like showering, eating, changing clothes. Its really difficult. You get a feeling of worthlessness.
Old September 27, 2002, 15:23   #53
Maniac

Quote:
Bi-Polar disorders also lays dormant in people until there is a serouis issue that brings it out.
So eradicate the serious issue and make it dormant again.

Quote:
Depression is the worst thing ever. You dont feel like showering, eating, changing clothes. Its really difficult. You get a feeling of worthlessness.
I know knew what you are talking about. But don't accept your problem damn it. Take charge again! Do things you don't like. Create more willpower.

Loinburger, ok, even for environmental depressions medication might be ok temporarily in combination with psychotherapy until the problem is solved, but I get the impression here people take those medicines for years and no longer try to tackle the causes. I don't respect that.

Btw, does somebody know good links about both manic and clinical depressions? If I enter "manic+depression" I get company links who want to sell their products. One can hardly expect a neutral opinion of them.
Old September 27, 2002, 15:32   #54
LaurenX2C
Settler

Mania is a wierd thing. Like being in some kind of wierd high. I have alot of places I go. But when I chat or have a question and stuff I go here

http://www.ndmda.org/

Last edited by LaurenX2C; September 27, 2002 at 15:39.
Old September 27, 2002, 15:41   #55
Maniac

Okay thanks. I'll try to read some sites before I make other posts.
Old September 27, 2002, 15:53   #56
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 02:37
Re: Just how many of you were or are on some form of psychological medication?
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
What did you take?
What I can remember being on at one time or another (16-19 yo): Zoloft, Loxapin (Loxatain?), Anaphranil, Lithium, Trazadone, Welbutrin... several others that I just can't remember. The major thing I was 'taking' was ECT at the end. The last 7 years I haven't been on anything, or had any counseling.

Quote:
What condition did you have?
Depends on which doctor you ask, and which medications were showing side effects. In that four year span I was diagnosed with Masked D, Manic D, a sleeping disorder, Paranoid Delusional, Schitzo, and Psychotic. Don't remember much about the Schitzo-Psychotic times because of the ECT.

Quote:
If you never have been medicated for mental illness, what is your secret to keeping sane?
It's dumb luck. Just like height, or IQ. Even on the levels that we can control it, you have to first have the ability to understand what exactly is wrong (and the only way to do that is to first experience it), and the ability to cope with it (drugs can help or hurt here). It's too subjective to deal with in absolute terms. From a more abstract perspective, either you have the ability to deal with your problems, or you don't. It's not a choice.

You have to ask the insane (and recovered) about how to keep your sanity, because they are the only ones who know how you lose it in the first place. The people who have never lost it, it's because they've never experienced that lack of control. Life has never been too hard for them to deal with, whether it be because of an inborn strength, or an 'easy' life.

Quote:
Does knowing me help?
Many of the people here at poly help me feel a bit more 'normal'.
Old September 27, 2002, 16:23   #57
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
My doc put me on Paxil for a week, but that was because he was too stupid to tell the difference between depression and a sleep disorder...
Paxil actually helps with sleep disorders. Its rather mild, and rather than knocking you out like most sleep medications it helps to resetablish your brain chemistry so that you get back to a normal sleep schedual. Bunnygrrl took Paxil for insomnia.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 27, 2002, 16:27   #58
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I know knew what you are talking about. But don't accept your problem damn it. Take charge again! Do things you don't like. Create more willpower.
Yes, that's all despressed people really need, a swift kick in the pants. ****ing idiot.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 27, 2002, 16:28   #59
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Paxil actually helps with sleep disorders. Its rather mild, and rather than knocking you out like most sleep medications it helps to resetablish your brain chemistry so that you get back to a normal sleep schedual. Bunnygrrl took Paxil for insomnia.
I have sleep apnea, however, so it didn't do anything for me. Paxil can't make you breath at night.

My problem was that I was exhausted all day long and had no energy to do anything. Certainly sounds like depression, so I don't blame my doctor, but I still wish it would've been disagnosed quicker. I had surgery on my throat this summer, to remove my tonsils and adenoids, and it has helped a lot. My airway doesn't close off when I sleep anymore, so I'm good to go.
Old September 27, 2002, 16:31   #60
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
I never used any drugs, and dont plan too. People have been having same problems we do for thousands of years and they managed to go without chemicals. I m no better and no worse then my ancestors
There used to be markedly higher numbers of mad relatives locked it attics and cellars however.

Who lets these anal bleeders post? Who the bollocks takes some barely-housetrained puppy and equips them with sufficient opions to press a combination of keys, yet insufficient sense to realise that they're making an utter dildo of themself?