Old September 27, 2002, 06:46   #1
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 08:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?
As a regular reader of all this forums, I read a lot of suggestions, possible ameliorations, etc... A lot of good work.

What bothers me the most is the complaints and the endless nagging.

Very rarely I find a word of praise for the developpers.

So, thank you guys at Firaxis for giving me and other silent people hours of pleasure at a cheap price.

Just thank you.
Old September 27, 2002, 06:57   #2
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
I agree with everything you've said, except for the "cheap price" (considering that I have to pay again, for PTW). But, that's me

Otherwise,
--Woody Allen
Old September 27, 2002, 07:24   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?
Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
So, thank you guys at Firaxis for giving me and other silent people hours of pleasure at a cheap price.

Just thank you.
I was once at this stage...Then I became prince Stay here long enough, and your opinion will change.
Old September 27, 2002, 07:59   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 05:37
It is allowed. But it is not advised.
Old September 27, 2002, 08:01   #5
zulu9812
King

I've often been a very vocal supporter of Firaxis, particularly over culture flipping. I honestly think that Civ3 is a cracking game. I just want a god dammned scenario editor!
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old September 27, 2002, 08:08   #6
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 03:37
It's allowed. You'll be called a fanboy (or worse) if you do it too often though.
Old September 27, 2002, 08:36   #7
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
I agree with everything you've said, except for the "cheap price" (considering that I have to pay again, for PTW). But, that's me

Otherwise,
Compared to other games we get a lot of more hours of fun.
Old September 27, 2002, 08:43   #8
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Re: Re: Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

I was once at this stage...Then I became prince Stay here long enough, and your opinion will change.
I've been here a lot longer than you, and I still think that Firaxis have done a good job, even though I miss the flexibility and help in all kind of things I've seen at the forum for EU2(got to love that game! Sorry! ). But the game is great, no doubt!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old September 27, 2002, 08:43   #9
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:

Compared to other games we get a lot of more hours of fun.
What other games? I play only civ (I, II, III, PTW, ...)
--Woody Allen
Old September 27, 2002, 08:46   #10
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:

What other games? I play only civ (I, II, III, PTW , ...)
............... ..........Hey! Want to send me the game? The address is...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old September 27, 2002, 08:48   #11
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:

What other games? I play only civ (I, II, III, PTW, ...)
I must confess: I occasionally play Tiberian Sun, but once you get the hang of it, the challenge is gone.
Old September 27, 2002, 08:50   #12
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai

............... ..........Hey! Want to send me the game? The address is...

Hehe. That was a good one
--Woody Allen
Old September 27, 2002, 08:56   #13
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 09:37
Yes and I like the game too. It is much better than average.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 27, 2002, 13:03   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:37
How many games does anyone have that they are still playing nearly a year later? I can not think of more than 10-15 and that is not a lot out of all that have come out in the last decade of so.
Old September 27, 2002, 13:03   #15
Anaximander
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 02:37
The fact that there is this much criticism is, IMO, a good thing. It shows how much people love the game and it also shows just how much they want it to improve. Yes, Civ III has it's problems, but it still is a great game. otherwise it would be sitting on the rack with all the other games I have bought and have burned out on. However, the Civ series will only be great if we keep complaining about what we want in future versions.

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/
Old September 27, 2002, 16:33   #16
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:37
I'm not very vocal about this since I don't want to be reffered to as a fanboy all the time. BUt I really appreciate what firaxis has done. YOu would too if you started out computer gaming like I did>

About last year I downloaded the demo to zoo tycoon. You know, what the hell, sounds like fun. And I never expected to buy the full version anyways, right? wrong.
So I bought the full version. 1 month later, I found myself wanting to destroy the CD. If I didn't pay 40 bucks for it I would've The damn people like food more that animals?? And you need to put bathrooms everywhere. There was absolutely no pinnacle to gameplay.

That one left a sour taste in my mouth towards all RTS games.

A little while later (winter break) I went out and bought sim city 3000. Hey I liked the original and thought what the hell. It was an okay game. only problems were it was WAY to easy and all the buildings looked the same. SC1 had a greater variety of buildings! I quickly got bored of that.

My conclusion was RTS sucks

now I don't really like shooters, or action or whatever the hell you call em, so I went out looking for a real computer game. A strategy game. Something like chess, but with a little more pizzaz and attitude. Something were killing enemy unit's left a patriotic feeling in your gut.

lo and behold, I discovered Civ3 last June. Brought it home, booted up the computer, and haven't left the basement yet. Not only was it challenging, but it was also fun, with unlimited replayability. The type of chess I've been looking for.

I'd pay almost anything to have PTW right now..........
Seriously, If I don't get it soon than this might end badly for firaxis! I know were they live (actually I dont ).
Old September 27, 2002, 17:00   #17
sun_tzu_159
Chieftain

Hi all,
Yes lets all continue to support Firaxis and Infogrames in there great efforts to give people a game they want to play.

They have listened - multiplayer will shorlty be a reality, patches have been released every couple of months, the editor for scenarios is continuously improved since launch. Another patch will surely come out a few weeks after PTW is released to clear up bugs being discussed here and others found too close to production date to do anything with.

Remember that if the developer loses interest there is no more development of the fan base and all that is left is about 10,000 die-hard fans. Long live Firaxis and Infogrames and long may they continue to develop this game.

There are very few games where such a wide range of gameplay and tactics that can be used for so many different ways of winning. Much more achievement than remembering that alien X hides behind rock Y and is blasted with weapon Z x 1,000 and I win again.

Has anybody regularly beaten this game at Deity level? - I think not.
Could Firaxis develop an AI that learns your style of gameplay and stop you every time (christmas 2003 AI enhancement add-on & expansion pack $39.99 or £39.99)?
After CIVIII, christmas 2001, PTW, christmas 2002, what is the christmas (cynical) 2003 offering to be? If there isn't one the game will slowly die.
Just a couple more (controversial) thoughts.

Regards
Sun_Tzu
Old September 27, 2002, 17:05   #18
sun_tzu_159
Chieftain

Hi all,
Yes lets all continue to support Firaxis and Infogrames in there great efforts to give people a game they want to play.

They have listened - multiplayer will shorlty be a reality, patches have been released every couple of months, the editor for scenarios is continuously improved since launch. Another patch will surely come out a few weeks after PTW is released to clear up bugs being discussed here and others found too close to production date to do anything with.

Remember that if the developer loses interest there is no more development of the fan base and all that is left is about 10,000 die-hard fans. Long live Firaxis and Infogrames and long may they continue to develop this game.

There are very few games where such a wide range of gameplay and tactics that can be used for so many different ways of winning. Much more achievement than remembering that alien X hides behind rock Y and is blasted with weapon Z x 1,000 and I win again.

Has anybody regularly beaten this game at Deity level? - I think not.
Could Firaxis develop an AI that learns your style of gameplay and stop you every time (christmas 2003 AI enhancement add-on & expansion pack $39.99 or £39.99)?
After CIVIII, christmas 2001, PTW, christmas 2002, what is the christmas (cynical) 2003 offering to be? If there isn't one the game will slowly die.
Just a couple more (controversial) thoughts.

Regards
Sun_Tzu
Old September 27, 2002, 17:10   #19
sun_tzu_159
Chieftain

Tiberius,
You have CIVI. Does it run on Windows98, 95, 3.1? I remember seeing it in the shops long ago but have not seen it for ages. Is there a supplier still has it?
I have CIVII for Playstation and for PC. The Playstation version is way better than the original PC game.

Thanks for answering
Sun_Tzu
Old September 27, 2002, 17:39   #20
vmxa1
Deity

Civ I runs on 98SE. I did not try it on XP yet, but I am sure it will work. It was given away by Computer Games Mag, it says on mine CGCD 131.
Old September 27, 2002, 18:11   #21
Nikolai
Deity

It runs on XP. I should know, I have tried.
Old September 27, 2002, 18:16   #22
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by sun_tzu_159 Has anybody regularly beaten this game at Deity level? - I think not.
Actually, there is a system to winning every game, regardless of difficulty level, with the win coming in the Industrial Age at the latest. But I'll leave you to figure that one out
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old September 27, 2002, 18:54   #23
vmxa1
Deity

Yes you can win at any level, it is a question of what you prefer to play. Some enjoy Deity, I do not so I play a few just to stay in touch, but prefer Monarch. You just can't use the same technics at all times on all levels and met with the same sucess. Sometimes I have to adjust for the same level the very next time I play it. Depends on the civ, the map and the locations,
Old September 27, 2002, 19:55   #24
Tuberski

Local Time: 03:37
Re: Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?
Quote:
As a regular reader of all this forums, I read a lot of suggestions, possible ameliorations, etc... A lot of good work.

What bothers me the most is the complaints and the endless nagging.

Very rarely I find a word of praise for the developpers.

Just thank you.
Well now that Coracle doesn't seem to be here anymore, and jimmytrick stays away from this forum, it is okay to say thank you...
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 27, 2002, 20:21   #25
coryl
Settler

Local Time: 00:37
Well I know I've clocked more than 100 hours on this game. Probably more like 200. So doing the math

$40.00/200 = 0.20 an hour. A bargain compared to going to the movies.
Old September 27, 2002, 21:23   #26
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I gotta chime in here...

ALL HAIL FIRAXIS!! (you evidently have very strong culture, and a good military).

BUT, please tell us how anarchy, AI Civilization Governor, and build preferences work!! Please??
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 28, 2002, 03:21   #27
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Well, everybody knows I am a hard fanboy anyway, so it will do me no harm to drop a few words of praise...

Reselling computer games in our retail outlet, I have tried maybe hundreds of games of all genres. 99% of them got uninstalled within the first week. Civ3 has been staying on my HDD from the very beginning and is unlikely to ever get uninstalled. Simply put, I have no other game with the same level of replayability.

Civ3 is definitely not a perfect game... I can think of myriads of improvements, ranging from subtle to vital. But the game at its current state is a very fine one.

Thank you, Soren, Dan, Mike, and everybody else at Firaxis. You have my undying respect for what you created and for what you keep improving.

Old September 28, 2002, 05:11   #28
zulu9812
King

but give us a damn scenario editor...
Old September 28, 2002, 05:42   #29
Nikolai
Deity

Just wait, and buy PTW.
Old September 28, 2002, 07:32   #30
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Yes I think its OK to say Thank You Firaxis!!so Thank You Firaxis!!
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.