Old September 28, 2002, 10:40   #31
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by sun_tzu_159

I have CIVII for Playstation and for PC. The Playstation version is way better than the original PC game.

Thanks for answering
Sun_Tzu
You have got to be kidding. I bought CivII on PSX when I was without computer for a while, and it was horrible. NO keyboard shortcuts, no scenarios, one world map. In what way was it better?!
Old September 28, 2002, 11:07   #32
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 08:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
Just wait, and buy PTW.
PTW? That won't have the scenario editor. No events + no forced diplomacy = no scenarios. Ok?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old September 28, 2002, 13:43   #33
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 10:37
OK, if you define a scenario like that. But in Civ2, we didn't have any events, did we?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old September 28, 2002, 20:31   #34
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 03:37
Re: Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?
Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
As a regular reader of all this forums, I read a lot of suggestions, possible ameliorations, etc... A lot of good work.

What bothers me the most is the complaints and the endless nagging.

Very rarely I find a word of praise for the developpers.

So, thank you guys at Firaxis for giving me and other silent people hours of pleasure at a cheap price.

Just thank you.

It doesn't matter any more what you say here. The only people left on the forums are those who like the game.

Those very many who think it flawed, boring, tedious, unrealistic, nonhistoric, and generally A MAJOR LET DOWN compared to what we expected would be a follow up to Civ 2, are long gone from here.

So right now all you are doing is preaching to the choir.

I had a great deal of company in finding Civ 3 to be one of the biggest disappointments ever in the gaming world, and the huge number of posts from scores of different posters over the past year demonstrate that.

But "a cheap price"?? FIFTY DOLLARS for a buggy beta game last Thanksgiving, a game that needed four patches to even be playable, was not "cheap" - it was a rip off.
Old September 28, 2002, 20:38   #35
Coracle
Prince

Re: Re: Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

Well now that Coracle doesn't seem to be here anymore, and jimmytrick stays away from this forum, it is okay to say thank you...
Oh, I'm here monitoring things. Jimmytrick joins Libertarian, Zykla, and many many others in no longer wasting his time playing a game that is unacceptable in many ways.

I have to BUY PTW to turn off that Culture Flipping crap?? No thanks. And I won't play it with CF. The only reason it hasn't been removed from my PC is I want to see if any one can come up with a decent scenario considering the editor limitations.

We've detailed over many months the problems with Civ 3. Those of you who don't care, good for you. But this was NOT a successor to Civ 2 - it was a ripoff being so very flawed, beta, and entirely different in basic concepts from Civ 2.

I never would have said a word in criticism of this game if it was not called "Civ 3". But it was, and I consider that fraud.

Firaxis, you know my opinion of you.
Old September 28, 2002, 21:03   #36
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Oh, I'm here monitoring things.
oh well. i guess its easier than responding...
Quote:
Jimmytrick joins Libertarian, Zykla, and many many others in no longer wasting his time playing a game that is unacceptable in many ways.
if that's their opinion, good for them!
Quote:
I never would have said a word in criticism of this game if it was not called "Civ 3". But it was, and I consider that fraud.
if we all put a coupld of $ and gather $40 for you, will you be ok?
Old September 28, 2002, 21:49   #37
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
Oh, I'm here monitoring things.
oh well. i guess its easier than responding...
Quote:
Jimmytrick joins Libertarian, Zykla, and many many others in no longer wasting his time playing a game that is unacceptable in many ways.
if that's their opinion, good for them!
Quote:
if we all put a coupld of $ and gather $40 for you, will you be ok?

Can't resist the cheap demeaning sarcasm, can you? I guess now that so many forumer opinions are joining me against Firaxis it is your last resort.

With tax, the Strategy Guide and game cost me about $68. I wasted hundreds of dollars worth of time dealing with the bugs and flaws in the game. But I'll settle for a free PTW - under $40. Pass the request to Mr. Briggs.

I now know - we ALL know - Firaxis will never get it right as too much is hard-coded.

Oh yes, the point, lost on you, is that Jimmytrick, Zykla, Libertarian, and many others, did not just have opinions. They were part of a large group that saw the real flaws in the game and have long left the forum. But even those who remained, like Zulu, for quite some time big fans of Civ 3, are disappointed and losing faith.

That is the sad reality. I take no pleasure in this. As I said, I waited over five years for Civ 3, and feel nought but sadness that it is so flawed.

Now feel free to continue your sarcasm. . .
Old September 28, 2002, 21:59   #38
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
I guess now that so many forumer opinions are joining me against Firaxis it is your last resort.
thanks! now i'll go to bed laughing...

Quote:
I wasted hundreds of dollars worth of time dealing with the bugs and flaws in the game.
your free time doesnt cost anything

you didnt buy an office application. you bought a game.....

Quote:
Jimmytrick, Zykla, Libertarian, and many others, did not just have opinions. They were part of a large group that saw the real flaws in the game
where's the difference? their opinion was that the game had flaws.....
Old September 28, 2002, 22:27   #39
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:37
civ3 is far superior to Civ2. I took Civ2 off my drive after a month of Civ3, why go back? Civ2 was fun and I have nothing bad to say about it, excpet is was too easy to hold a city. Civ2 was great for its time and that time has passed, sorry you felt cheated.
Old September 29, 2002, 00:51   #40
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:37
yo, coracle

you know what a miser is?

well, your posts remind me of shitty old miser. I'm not saying you're any of those things, but just that your an idiot for not flushing the God Damn thing down the toilet!!

As some other guy said, "if you eat breath and sleep it 6 months prior to it's release, than it's probably not going to live up to your expectations."

I wasted 40 bucks on zoo tycoon, as well as plenty of lemonade selling time ( ). But I'm still glad I got zoo tycoon because then I never would've known for myself what the game was really like. Honestly, it sucked, it really did. But I went out, found other games, and didn't waste any more time complaining. BTW, I'm 16, and don't have a Job. 40 bucks is probably alot more to me than it is to you. And if it isn't, than maybe you should go find some more cars to wash down...

Man, your just beating a dead horse. That's pure stupidity.

If you want an easier game, something that suits you intelligence level, I recommend zoo tycoon, or roller coaster tycoon, or mall tycoon. Anything with "tycoon" in it.

Old September 29, 2002, 01:24   #41
King_Xerces
Chieftain

A few more thing I forgot to mention:

Coracle,

don't you like civ 3 just a little? I mean seriously, if you didn't hate firaxis, the ai, and culture flipping so much..........
than wouldn't clicking on that naughty little icon be a little tempting?? Would you be able to resist?

I think they programed it alright. I'm not really enthused by AI cheat strategies, but overall, it balances out. Human's can reason through intuition, while the AI can reason through "cheating"/computer intuition, makes sense enough to me.
Old September 29, 2002, 02:34   #42
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Hey Coracle.

I'm a little confused at this point... what are your major problems with the game?

I know you must think I'm a total fanboy, but I'm critical where appropriate. Whereas I can live with the little annoying crap, I do agree with zulu that no events and no forced diplomacy are unacceptable for scenarios.

But what's so wrong otherwise?

Yeah, the release cycle sucked... but at least they stuck with it, and have delivered. I've said this before, but I think this is the new paradigm; you may not like it, but it's here to stay. At least the Firaxis guys have stuck around...

It bums me out that you, and jt, Lib, etc., haven;t stuck around, 'cause you all really "get it," and have much to contribute.

Have you really not played at all post-1.29?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 29, 2002, 04:27   #43
Blue Moose
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
I wasted hundreds of dollars worth of time dealing with the bugs and flaws in the game.
your free time doesnt cost anything

you didnt buy an office application. you bought a game.....

Quote:
Jimmytrick, Zykla, Libertarian, and many others, did not just have opinions. They were part of a large group that saw the real flaws in the game
where's the difference? their opinion was that the game had flaws.....
Free time does cost money. It's called opportunity cost, it is about what you could be doing in that time, how productive that time could be. As for your other comment to Coracle, I think he objected to the fact that you seem to be using "opinion" in a demeaning way, to brush aside a reasonable position and view on the game. It rather shocks me that an Apolyton administrator would be so acidic to a forum member, it would seem that a higher level of calm and impartiality would be more desired. That's just my opinion though.

Blue Moose
Old September 29, 2002, 04:38   #44
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Free time does cost money. It's called opportunity cost, it is about what you could be doing in that time, how productive that time could be.
when you decide to spent your free time on games, there is no such thing as opportunity cost nor productivity

Quote:
I think he objected to the fact that you seem to be using "opinion" in a demeaning way, to brush aside a reasonable position and view on the game.
when there are people who say "i love feature X" and other people who say "i hate feature X", then i call these statements as "opinions"

Quote:
it would seem that a higher level of calm and impartiality would be more desired
there has been tons of tolerance from my side to attitudes like coracle's
Old September 29, 2002, 05:03   #45
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
I had a great deal of company in finding Civ 3 to be one of the biggest disappointments ever in the gaming world, and the huge number of posts from scores of different posters over the past year demonstrate that.
Biggest disappointments ever in the gaming world? What colour is the sky on your planet?

I'm here baby. Come see me when you have something new to say.
Old September 29, 2002, 06:26   #46
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
I agree with notyoueither if you dont like sticking your head down the toilet then dont do it any more.
It is totally impossible IMHO for any body to not find something good about Civ3.
It might not be the most groundbreaking game in the history of games but I dont think that was ever the intention.
What it has acheived is to stretch the boundaries of turn based genre with a mix of some of the best features from past titles and some good new and unique innovations.
Also I dont think I know of another game that prompts so much online debate as Civ1,2or3.
It is fair to say that there could be improvements made to the game,but equally you must agree that the game has and is being improved all the time,surely thats what we at these forums should be hoping and striving for.
If not if all you want to do is bad mouth and complain with no positive input then IMO you should go stick your head back down the toilet cause nobody really is interested.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old September 29, 2002, 13:54   #47
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

How many games of about a year ago are still being played? How many have forums? I seem to recall at least one mag gave it game of the year.
I think it is fair for MarK to cap on a member whose sole purpose is to come on the board and be negative. If it was a new memebr that would be different. Coracle knows he will provoke responses and that is what he is about. Why would a rational person still be doing this at this point? I have lots of games that I was looking forward to and then found them lacking. I can not recall most of their names as I have better things to do and just get past it. Coming here gives him something or he would not do it. I just have no idea what that would be. maybe attention.
Old September 29, 2002, 16:56   #48
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Firaxis dont in my opinion deserve praise.

I feel ive given them to much as it is by paying for Civ3
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old September 29, 2002, 19:54   #49
Blue Moose
Warlord

[QUOTE] Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
Free time does cost money. It's called opportunity cost, it is about what you could be doing in that time, how productive that time could be.
when you decide to spent your free time on games, there is no such thing as opportunity cost nor productivity

My friend Neil's take on your comment (he takes more econ than me):
No, it just means that you value playing the games more than the opportunity cost of whatever you're giving up.

Blue Moose
Old September 29, 2002, 20:16   #50
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
My friend Neil's take on your comment (he takes more econ than me):
No, it just means that you value playing the games more than the opportunity cost of whatever you're giving up.
for the grand majority of people, free time is what's left from their 9-5 work, sleep and other similar stuff. so free time doesnt mean giving up anything.....
Old September 29, 2002, 22:32   #51
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Quote:
for the grand majority of people, free time is what's left from their 9-5 work, sleep and other similar stuff. so free time doesnt mean giving up anything.....
What about Coracle? By playing CIv 3, he wasted some pretty valuable lemonade selling time...
Old September 29, 2002, 23:01   #52
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
There certainly is a "personal" opportunity cost.

I could wax rhetorical here... what do we have, if not time?? (uugghh)

Give me a break; people are faced with similar decisions every day: How was that phone call? How was your breakfast? Did you like the Sopranos? Did you pay good money to see Jar Jar Binks?

If you don't like something (where there is volition and choice), don;t do it. If you are passionate about the lack, protest.

Coracle does, and it's his right. And he chooses to invest his personal opportunity cost to do so... also his right.

That said, there comes a point where the protest becomes labored. The reward for Coracle's potential payback from the investment of his personal opportunity cost starts to turn to less than he would like... so he don;t come around here much anymore. Every once in a while, I guess just for the satisfaction (a type of reward), the effort is worthwhile.

Fine. Too bad though... I maintain that Coracle, jt, Lib, etc., have more to offer.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 29, 2002, 23:11   #53
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
It doesn't matter any more what you say here. The only people left on the forums are those who like the game.
Is this what I think it is? An admission that Coracle likes the game?

Quote:
this was NOT a successor to Civ 2 - it was a ripoff being so very flawed, beta, and entirely different in basic concepts from Civ 2.
Huh? entirely different in basic concepts from Civ2? What a shocker. did you just want Civ2 with better graphics? I see why you're disappointed then.

Quote:
With tax, the Strategy Guide and game cost me about $68. I wasted hundreds of dollars worth of time dealing with the bugs and flaws in the game.
I'm amazed that someone that "wasted hundreds of dollars worth of time" would not cut their losses. Why waste more time by posting on a fansite?

Quote:
Oh yes, the point, lost on you, is that Jimmytrick, Zykla, Libertarian, and many others, did not just have opinions.
Why is it that critics state facts but fanboys state opinions?
Old September 30, 2002, 02:15   #54
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Why does anyone bother to answer Coracle?

If he doesn't like civ3, fine. He is wellcomed to post his ideas as long as he comes with constructive criticism and not just "civ3 id flawed", "CF sucks", "firaxis sucks" type of whinings. He must be masochist or something, that he keeps coming back fighting with the "fanboys", when it is so obvious what kind of replies he is going to get.

I tried to play couple of weeks ago civ2. Why? Nostalgy, man, nostalgy. "The good old days"
And you know what? I couldn't play it more then half an hour. Half an hour!! A game that once I played all night long! The game went fine, I was winning, but then I gave up. It was so inferior to civ3.

Coracle, don't forget, Sid Meier did create "Civilization". So maybe this time, this one single ocasion, you could have come here and say "Thank you , Mr. Meier". I don't like Civ3, but thank you for the series you created".

Thank you Mr. Meier. Thank you Firaxis.

PS I'll be damned. My post turned out to be an answer to Coracle, in exact opposition with what I've said in the beginning There's no surprise in that, after all. When he says "civ3 sucks" it's like saying to me "hey, you idiot, you are still playing that stupid game ?" Of course I feel insulted and defend my "hobby"
--Woody Allen
Old September 30, 2002, 07:32   #55
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
Well, everybody knows I am a hard fanboy anyway, so it will do me no harm to drop a few words of praise...

Reselling computer games in our retail outlet, I have tried maybe hundreds of games of all genres. 99% of them got uninstalled within the first week. Civ3 has been staying on my HDD from the very beginning and is unlikely to ever get uninstalled. Simply put, I have no other game with the same level of replayability.

Civ3 is definitely not a perfect game... I can think of myriads of improvements, ranging from subtle to vital. But the game at its current state is a very fine one.

Thank you, Soren, Dan, Mike, and everybody else at Firaxis. You have my undying respect for what you created and for what you keep improving.

That's what I mean.
Old September 30, 2002, 07:57   #56
georges bonbon
Warlord

It seems I started something which is becoming very personal and very emotional.

My motivation to start this post was to encourage the team at Firaxis and to say a simple word of praise, nothing more, nothing less.

That is the real purpose of this post.
Old September 30, 2002, 08:48   #57
Zachriel
King

Re: Re: Re: Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Is this what I think it is? An admission that Coracle likes the game?
Coracle has gotten his money's worth out of Civ3 just for the shear amount of enjoyment he's gotten posting about it.

In any case, Civ has always made the imagination work overtime. Everyone has an idea of how to make the game better, whether it is Marine Armies, or a better Governor or Special Ops Infantry. The imagination never quits, and that is the beauty of the game. Some people confuse this imaginative stimulation with the "game isn't as good as it could be" syndrome. That's all.
Old September 30, 2002, 12:56   #58
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Some people confuse this imaginative stimulation with the "game isn't as good as it could be" syndrome. That's all.
Sorry i do not agree with this statement at all, you can have an amazing game which you can imagine new things for, but it is still without a doubt a good game. Also have a crap game and imagine new things and stuff that it could have and its still a crap game.

ANYWAY on to the point of this post
No matter how you percieve Coracle's post, he is undoubtedly right i what he says.
The fact that it is only ppl who like the game that still hang around here
(god knows why, as I can see shortly after PTW comes out the community drastically dieing due to lack of support from the makers and OBSURD lack of moddibility over a year or so)
Im just wondering why coracle is still around here (not having ago), I left these forums ages ago after being tottaly disappointed by the piece of software in which I had followed far before its release (civ3 of course)
Anyway I just thought i would stick my head in here again before I go back to the Call to Power 2 forums
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old September 30, 2002, 13:03   #59
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

It's always been fine to praise Firaxis. In fact, it's usually fine to post any opinion you want here. I for one have both praised and criticized the game. I have been labeled a lot of things here... but none of them discourage me from posting my opinion. They shouldn't discourage you, either.
Old September 30, 2002, 13:05   #60
WarpStorm
King

Lack of support from the makers? I can't think of a game company that does more to support it's customers (the only one that even comes to mind is Blizzard). They put out patches for all of their games (even old ones like Gettysburg and SMAC).

You have the nerve to say that in the same paragraph as CTP. Doh! I get jokes.

Last edited by WarpStorm; September 30, 2002 at 13:18.