Old September 30, 2002, 10:16   #1
Lucarse
Warlord

Local Time: 08:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How to get out of MPP without declaring war?
How does one get out of a dicey/stupidly made MPP?

I have an MPP with France (biggest civ in game) as i was getting pasted by the Germans (a real blitzkreig), France helped me out and the germans backed off offering peace.

Now france has declared war on everyone and i'm fighting a war with 10 civs, my smallish military is buckling and WW is killing me (i am a non religious civ and can't afford the anarchy).

How can i get out of an MPP with out declaring war on France? its not possible is it?
Old September 30, 2002, 11:20   #2
Der PH
Warlord

Local Time: 09:43
20 turns after signing the MPP you can cancel it by contacting the French, proposing a new deal, clicking on 'active' in the trading window and renegotiate (i.e. cancel) the MPP.
Old September 30, 2002, 11:32   #3
Lucarse
Warlord

Vierzeihung Der PH,

I did know it ends after 20 turns i have about 17 to go and with 10 civs beating up on me i think i'll lose cities soon waiting 17 turns is gonna hurt!
Old September 30, 2002, 12:17   #4
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 03:43
how did all that happen in 3 turns? I mean how did the French come in have the others leave then make peace and then go to war with 10 Civs? this seems like it should have taken longer.
Old September 30, 2002, 12:25   #5
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Cidifer
how did all that happen in 3 turns? I mean how did the French come in have the others leave then make peace and then go to war with 10 Civs? this seems like it should have taken longer.
Believe me, if you've had some of the same experiences I've had with the French, you'd think they were God.
Old September 30, 2002, 18:00   #6
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

If you have some money, the intelligence agency and a spy in place, you can get your spy caught and then try to plant a spy until Joan gets all hot and bothered and declares war on you. Your only other option is to break your agreement and deal with the loss of reputation.
Old October 1, 2002, 07:46   #7
Der PH
Warlord

Local Time: 09:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucarse
i have about 17 to go and with 10 civs beating up on me i think i'll lose cities soon waiting 17 turns is gonna hurt!
Under these circumstances I think, you have a problem!
Old October 1, 2002, 09:12   #8
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 04:43
miccofl

I'm not sure the game will let you break a MPP?? If you make peace and the war with your MPP partner continues, you will just get thrown back into the war by the no-questions-asked popup saying "our brothers in (insert civ here) have been attacked." He's stuck. The coward's way out is to retreat and only fight defensively as needed.
Old October 1, 2002, 14:27   #9
Fitz
King

Local Time: 00:43
Declare war on France, and make peace with everyone (including France) as quickly as possible. It sounds like you don't have the time to goad joanie into declaring war on you, so yer just gonna have to take the rep hit.
Old October 1, 2002, 17:48   #10
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by: jshelr
I'm not sure the game will let you break a MPP?? If you make peace and the war with your MPP partner continues, you will just get thrown back into the war by the no-questions-asked popup saying "our brothers in (insert civ here) have been attacked." He's stuck. The coward's way out is to retreat and only fight defensively as needed.
I think you may have missed my point jshelr, if you use failed espionage repeatedly the AI civ in question will eventually declare war on you and the AI civ will be the one breaking the MPP. I have used this many times with much success.
Old October 2, 2002, 04:40   #11
Lucarse
Warlord

Yeah there is a problem,..

I want my cake and i want to eat it too!.

I had a big war with germans lost alot of my military units to panzers. (but theres a whole bunch of waste land where german cities used to be!)
Now i'm licking my wounds and getting my military back up, the AI's know i'm down (oh yes they do) and after france declared war they by passed france and headed straight to me!.

I can see a concentration of german armour heading towards me (2 turns away i estimate) i have three tanks left lots of defensive infantry and arty's, I'm rushing others.

My northern border brushes against France who is by far the largest and most powerful civ next to me and germany...

what i'm worried about is declaring war against france and not getting peace right away (Under 3-4 turns) she'd roll over me like a steamroller on a grapefruit.

So spy's etc aren't going to work.... i'm just going to have to hunker down and take my licks i think...

30 cities and counting......... whaaaaaaaa
Old October 2, 2002, 08:49   #12
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

The AI has read you signature too Lucarse, time to mobilize.
Old October 2, 2002, 10:56   #13
mulletman
Settler

Sounds like your screwed badly. Here's what I WOULD DO. Change your production level from Normalcy to War-Time, have all your cities but the best units for the age that you are in. Then just fortify you units in your cities, make sure you have alot of gold so you can rush the production of units if nessecary. Then you could declare war on france or try and hold your ground against 10 other civz's. Then if you manage to get through all of this, for a future note if you make Mutual Protection Pacts with all the civilizations so if one attacks the other you won't be stuck in the middle of the fight.
Old October 2, 2002, 15:46   #14
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

I've found making/renewing peace treaties can help if your going to go to war through a mutual protection pact.
renegotiate peace by selecting it , but be careful you will go to war if no peace deal can be made I think, this way its unlikely you'll be forced to go to war with this country if one of your pact 'brothers' goes towar with it.

It can be especially tough if you are forced into war, and losing a lot of money from debt repayment from the country that you have to fight.

This is the safest way i've found so far, you can also make MPPs with a country to stop going to war with it, or have a millitary alliance.

IF you end up in a war , at least your not in an alliance , so making peace will not be seen as breaking a treaty.. Keep your defences up, and launch a swift attack to take a small enemy city, and theyshould soon be willing to make peace.. they may even give you money or techs for peace. Or just wait it out, keeping all your forces nearby.

You should have made MPP's with some of the other nations I think.. then at least if you are forced into war, there should be some guys around to back you up and make others think twice about licking you.