Old September 30, 2002, 14:29   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I can't log in!
I have two partitions on my computer. One Windows XP partition for the serious business, and one Windows ME for games such as SMAC. When browsing on Apolyton on the ME partition I accidently clicked on the "logout" button. I of course tried to re-login, but every time I try it tells me I'm entering the wrong password. But I'm positive it's correct! How is this possible? What can be done to mend it? This is very annoying as I'm currently Director in the SMAC demo game and I need to run SMAC while I'm browsing on Apolyton sometimes to gather some information for the game. This is impossible on my XP partition.
Old September 30, 2002, 14:52   #2
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 11:44
Browser?
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old September 30, 2002, 15:36   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:44
Maniac, just request that your password be emailed to you. I too have had this problem in the past and when I've requested my password be emailed to me it is always the original password I had received when I first joined Apolyton - of course, I can never remember it since it is a random sequence of letters and numbers.
Old September 30, 2002, 16:47   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

My browser is Internet Explorer, I think 5.0. I know my passwords by heart, it's ****** . To check if it wasn't changed somehow, I indeed requested my password to be e-mailed. As I expected, it was still the same.
Old September 30, 2002, 17:48   #5
Tuberski

Local Time: 03:44
If you can't log in how are you posting?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 30, 2002, 18:02   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
If you can't log in how are you posting?
As he said he has two partition partitions one XP and one ME on the XP version he logged out on the ME so he posting with his XP partitition.

Maniac: Note the password is case sensetive. mAnIaC is not the same as MaNiAc. Make shur you did not enabled the cap logs.

-Martin
Old September 30, 2002, 18:39   #7
Maniac

Quote:
Maniac: Note the password is case sensetive. mAnIaC is not the same as MaNiAc. Make shur you did not enabled the cap logs.
Check. There's only one small lettre in my password, so I can hardly forget the casing. Don't moderators check this forum? Perhaps I should send a PM if the login keeps failing.
Old September 30, 2002, 18:47   #8
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

As he said he has two partition partitions one XP and one ME on the XP version he logged out on the ME so he posting with his XP partitition.

-Martin
Got it, I'm slow but I eventually catch on.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 17, 2002, 20:01   #9
Maniac

Would anyone have a problem with it if I started a double login for my ME partition?
Old October 17, 2002, 23:43   #10
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Would anyone have a problem with it if I started a double login for my ME partition?
Yeah... a real problem... but it's only a problem if you ever want to post again with either login
Old October 18, 2002, 03:26   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:44
You need to enable cookies.
Old October 18, 2002, 06:48   #12
Maniac

I thought these were enabled.

Could you please explain to a computer ignorant how I can check or change the cookies mode?
Old October 18, 2002, 09:42   #13
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
For internet explorer:

Tools->Internet Options -> Privacy, and make sure you aren't blocking all cookies.

For apolyton:

User Control Panel -> Edit Options

A little ways down, there's the option "Browse Board with Cookies". Make sure it's checked Yes.
Old October 18, 2002, 11:33   #14
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originaly posted by by Maniac
Could you please explain to a computer ignorant how I can check or change the cookies mode?
That could make things more difficuilt for my second idea: Probably you wrote down the password somewhere, if yes and it is in an electronic form than you can just copy and paste the password. If you don't have your password anymore then you can use the password recovery form from the login window. Once you have the password in a file or in an email then you can mark it just put the cursor at the beginning of the passeword or at the end and press the left mouse button then move the cursor over the password while the left mouse button is pressed. You have just pay attention that you don't mark to much, (only the password no additional space).

Afterwards you can now press the keys Ctrl and c simultaniously on your key board. This will copy the password. Now you can go to the log in form and press when you want to enter the password, Ctrl and v again simultaniously. (I hope the keys are the same like in Win98) If you did it right then you should be logged in.

-Martin
Old October 18, 2002, 11:50   #15
Maniac

Martin Gühmann: I'm positive I'm using the correct password.

ixnay37: I guess that Apolyton option only works if you are already logged in and have a user control panel. So I'll check your first option right away. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old October 18, 2002, 12:05   #16
Maniac

It still doesn't work. What kind of site is this? You log out once and you're banned for the rest of your life.
Old October 18, 2002, 13:11   #17
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Probably a stupid question, but you aren't by any chance trying to log in with your old username (M@ni@c IIRC), are you?
Old October 18, 2002, 14:45   #18
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 05:44
i think i know what the problem is!

when i tried to send you PMs, it would say "user has not read message. last online, 10-12-2000" or something. it appears there's another "maniac" who registered years ago, and never came back. i had to use the "send PM to user" button. so when you enter your username as "maniac", it thinks you're the "other" maniac, and tells you the password is wrong
Old October 18, 2002, 16:41   #19
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Probably a stupid question, but you aren't by any chance trying to log in with your old username (M@ni@c IIRC), are you?
Nope. I've tried with both my old and new nickname, just in case.

Quote:
it appears there's another "maniac" who registered years ago, and never came back.
What?!? Ban the guy!

My first excuse to use this smilie.
Old October 18, 2002, 16:45   #20
Maniac

I just checked. There are no less than nine nicks which have "maniac" in it in some form. Perhaps I should've stayed with the more original SMAniaC... It's just so annoying to type.
Old October 18, 2002, 16:49   #21
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

9!?!

just get a name change
Old October 18, 2002, 16:59   #22
Maniac

Any suggestions? I can't really think of anything. It should be something more original than 3 lettres of which you don't even know yourself what it stands for.
Old October 18, 2002, 18:09   #23
Maniac

So, Ming, now the problem might be identified, can this situation be resolved? Pleaaaaaaazzzzzze.
Old October 18, 2002, 18:35   #24
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Any suggestions? I can't really think of anything. It should be something more original than 3 lettres of which you don't even know yourself what it stands for.
what's wrong with having a 3-letter name? don't make fun of us, or i'll send ODP, LTD, and ADG to do something horrible to you

what do you think of RDP? IRD? FSE?
Old October 18, 2002, 18:41   #25
Maniac

DIE? DTC? Or no, then I would have to change my nick every month...
Old October 18, 2002, 18:44   #26
Method
Emperor

do you really want your name to be DIE? might arrouse suspicion
Old October 18, 2002, 18:48   #27
Maniac

It sure would get people's attention.
Old October 29, 2002, 19:09   #28
Tao

I see you've read my PM, Ming. What's the verdict?

Old October 29, 2002, 19:28   #29
Maniac

Woohoo! There is a god! I can post again!
Old October 29, 2002, 20:10   #30
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yes you can... So with that being the case...

CASE CLOSED!