Old September 30, 2002, 15:34   #1
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Barbarians Popping Up in Daylight?
Current game is 1.29f, Emperor, no mods, small map, all random.

Long story short is that I have engaged in some late industrial age warfare and ruthlessly razed huge swaths of enemy cities on a distant continent - haven't done this in a long time, but the pesky, technologically backward civ backstabbed my for the fourth time in this game and I had had enough I have dozens of slaves. I am building settlers and rushing temples in the distant continent just to claim the land - the game is won, but I'm going to go on to conquest and I don't want to deal with a few AI cities popping up here and there.

I have stationed slave workers every four or five tiles simply to hold back the fog-of-war. Barbarian level (random) must be raging or maybe restless, since a new barb hut pops up every third turn or so (I never had an uprising which would enable a determination by counting horsemen).

Barb huts are appearing, sometimes right next to a stationed slave worker in the full glow of daylight! I have never seen this before, always having "seen" barb huts only popping up in the greyed-out fog-of-war. Is this a common occurence, a change under 1.29f, or a buggy game?

Catt
Old September 30, 2002, 15:50   #2
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 05:44
I've never seen a Barbarian Hut appear out fog-of-war zone, maybe it's a bug in the game, or because the zone are lighted with a slave worker.

BTW, I lyke the concept of appearing barbarians on zones where there are no cities in late game, when you have razed some cities. It'll be interesting kill some barbarians with modern warfare.
Old September 30, 2002, 15:55   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 04:44
Workers do not prevent barb encampments from spawning. I know because I tried the same thing you are trying. Workers are not military units, so they don't hold down those pesky barbs. Get some real units out there! Think of it this way: every camp that pops up is 25 gold for you.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 30, 2002, 16:31   #4
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Workers do not prevent barb encampments from spawning. I know because I tried the same thing you are trying. Workers are not military units, so they don't hold down those pesky barbs.
You learn something new every day! Thx! (should have included a fourth option - "Is this a common occurence, a change under 1.29f, a buggy game, or simply the way the game has always worked and was designed to work?"

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Think of it this way: every camp that pops up is 25 gold for you.
25 Gold and an elite tank! Each camp pops up with 2 warriors. A veteran tank becomes elite and adds 25 gold to the coffers.

Quote:
Originally posted by zeh
BTW, I lyke the concept of appearing barbarians on zones where there are no cities in late game, when you have razed some cities. It'll be interesting kill some barbarians with modern warfare.
It's actually quite dull. Just send a unit to the camp and collect your gold.

It has been a long time since I actually continued a game without winning (or losing!) in some way when it is both (1) this late in the tech tree, and (2) the outcome is so completely etched in stone that there is only one possible victor. I haven't engaged in significant late game warfare for a long time, so I'm taking a refresher course and exacting some very enjoyable revenge - I have been the subject of numerous repeated backstabbings and RoP violations from all civs in the game (including my MA partner Liz ending the MA at turn 20 and then promptly declaring war on me!). Somwhere about Military Tradition I decided that a UN victory would not be in the cards, a spaceship victory would take too long, a doimination victory was doable, but that my treacherous foes deserved extinction - hence a decision to go conquest only from that point out.

I'm amazed that after 9 months of this game, I can still have a lot of fun becoming immersed in my empire building, to the point that I simply won't quit this game - I actually want to exact revenge on the AI

Catt
Old September 30, 2002, 16:35   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Catt,

I often find myself dragging the game out well past the point of assured victory because I don't feel my empire is "done" yet. Once I have ToE, Hoover, factories, hospitals, and police stations everywhere I can look at my empire with pride and the finally finish off the AI. I've only polished the AI off once before the industrial era... albeit in my last game.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 30, 2002, 18:48   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Every month or so, I pull up my save of the Egyptian Mess, and look longingly for ways to dig out of the hole I got myself into (I still haven't come up with an answer).

I DREAM of revenge on the France, Germany, and Greece of that game.

To Arrian's point, I really like to build a great empire too... I played CFC GOTM 11 over the weekend, and it was too much like 1337's crap deity game, just an exercise in rapid destruction. Not satisfying at all.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 30, 2002, 21:00   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It cracks me up when I am late into a game and razing cities, to see a barb warrior come strolling out next to a MA. You are bit shock as you forgot they could appear, since it has been many turns where all land was planeted.
Old September 30, 2002, 21:41   #8
Martinet
Settler

Local Time: 03:44
Death on a Train
When there's a lot of razing going on from the industrial onwards, watch out for railroaded barbarians. They can give you quite a surprise. I find the mental image of stone age warriors hopping on a train to go pillaging quite amusing. You never know what riff raff you'll come up against in public transit.
Old October 1, 2002, 09:53   #9
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 03:44
Re: Death on a Train
Quote:
Originally posted by Martinet
When there's a lot of razing going on from the industrial onwards, watch out for railroaded barbarians. They can give you quite a surprise. I find the mental image of stone age warriors hopping on a train to go pillaging quite amusing. You never know what riff raff you'll come up against in public transit.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796