Old September 30, 2002, 19:02   #1
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why now is the prime time to make Fallout 3
All the greatest games ever have had sequels come out in the past year or will have come out in the next year. If, after Lionheart is produced, Interplay starts on Fallout 3, it will come out at the best time. It would most likely, with the exception of Doom 3, be the top selling sequel when it comes out, due to the fact that Civilization, WarCraft, The Sims, Unreal, and a few others have all had sequels, and probably won't again for a year or so (with the probably exception of the Sims). I say: go for it!
Old September 30, 2002, 19:07   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:45
Lionheart is Fallout 3.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 30, 2002, 20:19   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Nah. They only share the SPECIAL system. Both the developers and the fans are trying to separate the two.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old September 30, 2002, 22:26   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:45
The developers are searching for something new... I have a feeling that, despite that, Lionheart will be panned as old technology despite whatever advances it will make... people don't really respect stories, etc... they probably want the graphics of Torn...

As for Fallout 3- I would support it, but unless it went fully 3D it would probably be panned... and due to elitist tendencies, would undersell

However, I would agree with you that now is the best time- if it releases in the dead time between major series' sequels, it has a better chance of selling better but the production on the sequel has yet to start so :hmm: perhaps they only have a year or two until the next round of great games comes :hmm:
Old October 1, 2002, 01:29   #5
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

How long would it take to make? that would sure affect whether or not it came out at the 'best time'.
Old October 1, 2002, 04:21   #6
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
from www.nma-fallout.com
More FO3 and JE bits by Odin - 22:45 - Comment Me (0) - News Source: Bis Forums
JE posted some more on the BIS Forums, this time it was in a discussion about Fallout 3. Here's the stuff:
Why Torn (scrubbed project) or Jefferson instead of FO3?:
Quote:
Neither TORN nor Jefferson were intended to be developed in spite of Fallout 3. Quite the contrary, both were intended to be developed concurrently with Fallout 3. When TORN collapsed, efforts were focused on IWD2 -- a title we had no intention of making prior to its "magical" appearance. This, in addition to other things, screwed up the best laid plans of mice and Fallout 3.

Planning for Jefferson began when Heart of Winter was still in development. It was just getting started when TORN collapsed, and it has survived through all of IWD2 with a small crew.
Why the need for a 3D engine/a kickass engine?:
When Fallout came out, I thought it looked cool as hell. But that was many years ago. While I'm quite certain that the die-hard Fallout fans would still buy a well-made, cool game using the old Fallout engine or even the FO:T engine, I think we need to sell more than 20,000 copies to break even.[/q]
Well then...nuff said? Get over there and post your comments !
[/q]

From earlier posting it also looks like the only thing keeping them from making FO3 is the financial situation at Interplay and BIS.
It will almost certainly be 3D, and i have a feeling they will promote it as the next Baldur's Gate or something, at least they want to make it something big.

Quote:
Do you want us to make Fallout 3 in a year? Fallout 2 was made in a year, and plenty of people didn't do jumping jacks of joy about how it was released. If we take a year and a half or two years to make Fallout 3, there's the very real possibility that the lack of BIS titles released in the meantime could hurt Interplay beyond a point of reasonable recovery. Is that really worth it? Would you want to see Fallout 3 go half-finished and then never released?
Quote:
Here's a quote Decado made: "I'd expect a really good go at FO3 to take around 3 years (technical short cuts could shorten that a bit). If IPLAY/BIS isn't willing or is unable to make that commitment, I say don't do it.", and JE's respons:
Quote:
And that's precisely why we haven't bothered. Fallout is special (no pun intended). There are dozens and dozens of D&D games from a variety of companies, each with its own particular style and flavor. There are only two Fallout RPGs. If there is to be a third, it should be in the same league as the others.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old October 1, 2002, 06:41   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 09:45
The sad fact is that, like many "classic" CRPG titles, Fallout 1&2 did not sell sufficient units to make a sequel profitable on reputation alone. Hence stock and trade fare like IWD2 gets pumped out to make BIS some money while their other less certain projects complete. FO3 would have to attract a whole new audience as well as fans to make the same sort of profit, especially if they need to design a new engine to accomodate thier new ideas. If we are fortunate, Lionheart will do exceptionally well so they can consider making FO3 while it is not so urgent that their next title make substantial money for developer and publisher alike.

This has been the story for several years. Every time BIS is doing well there is renewed interest in a new Fallout game and some preliminary planning is done. Whenever the finances feel tight the project goes back into the drawer.
Old October 1, 2002, 18:07   #8
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

WHAT?! LIONHEART IS FALLOUT 3?!

Just like Unreal 2003 is Quake 8
Old October 1, 2002, 18:12   #9
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

BTW, on Interplay's website , they've posted yet another poll of what you want to see.

Under the title "Which title is most anticipated" are the following choices:

EverQuest 2
DOOM3
UT 2003
Fallout 3

Currently, FO3 has 85% of the vote...but then again, who else but the fan base goes to IPLY's website?
Old October 1, 2002, 18:44   #10
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
WHAT?! LIONHEART IS FALLOUT 3?!

Just like Unreal 2003 is Quake 8
When a game is refered to as Fallout internally, it tends to set alarm bells off.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 1, 2002, 19:02   #11
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:45
I'd assumed that Lionheart was being produced instead of Fallout 3. I'm not particularly upset over the change in scenery--miniguns are fun and all, but a change in setting could turn out to be a change for the better.